Crazy day

Old July 6th 12, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

Default Crazy day

Crazy stage today - things got sorted out a bit

But it's sad to see that some of the lads got some pretty severe
injuries

--
Davey Crockett
Got a job for Lance Who

Old July 6th 12, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

On 06/07/2012 21:02, Davey Crockett wrote:
Crazy stage today - things got sorted out a bit

Yeah, some pretty careless parking happening, at one time towards the end after
the second major stack there can't have been many more than 25 riders remaining
in the main bunch.

Old July 7th 12, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

atriage wrote:
On 06/07/2012 21:02, Davey Crockett wrote:
Crazy stage today - things got sorted out a bit

Yeah, some pretty careless parking happening, at one time towards the
end after the second major stack there can't have been many more than
25 riders remaining in the main bunch.

Rather like one of the local group rides in my area, just faster. Bike
handling skills - at least sufficiently high levels of bike handling
skills for those roads, that sized group, and those speeds - seem in
short supply.

Maybe they should start the TdF in the mountains - no hope of a high
placement after the mountains seems to calm a lot of nerves.

-S-

Old July 7th 12, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

On 07/07/2012 14:39, Steve Freides wrote:
atriage wrote:
On 06/07/2012 21:02, Davey Crockett wrote:
Crazy stage today - things got sorted out a bit

Yeah, some pretty careless parking happening, at one time towards the
end after the second major stack there can't have been many more than
25 riders remaining in the main bunch.

Rather like one of the local group rides in my area, just faster. Bike
handling skills - at least sufficiently high levels of bike handling
skills for those roads, that sized group, and those speeds - seem in
short supply.

Another perspective on it from Voeckler, he's got a point.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voec...for-metz-crash

Maybe they should start the TdF in the mountains - no hope of a high
placement after the mountains seems to calm a lot of nerves.

Maybe, I don't know why ASO always follow much the same stage format.

Old July 8th 12, 12:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

atriage wrote:
Maybe, I don't know why ASO always follow much the same stage format.

A couple of years ago I seem to recall the giro or the vuelta planning
to change the format to multiple shorter stages but the plan seems to
have sunk without a trace.

Old July 10th 12, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

atriage wrote:
On 06/07/2012 21:02, Davey Crockett wrote:
Crazy stage today - things got sorted out a bit

Yeah, some pretty careless parking happening, at one time towards
the end after the second major stack there can't have been many
more than 25 riders remaining in the main bunch.

Rather like one of the local group rides in my area, just faster.
Bike handling skills - at least sufficiently high levels of bike
handling skills for those roads, that sized group, and those speeds
- seem in short supply.

Another perspective on it from Voeckler, he's got a point.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voec...for-metz-crash

Yup, sounds right to me. One could argue whether or not it's the main
cause but it's certainly a contributing factor.

Maybe they should start the TdF in the mountains - no hope of a high
placement after the mountains seems to calm a lot of nerves.

Maybe, I don't know why ASO always follow much the same stage format.

Tried and true, I guess, but a single flat stage or maybe two and then
off to the mountains might save a lot of crashes. Then again, so might
a smaller race field to start with.

-S-