Replace Shimano 600EX crank set replacement

Old April 4th 21, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Replace Shimano 600EX crank set replacement

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 10:53:28 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 3:42:37 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 3:08:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
6,000 miles a year until two years ago when it dropped to 5,500 and then last year when I barely made 4,000 with the F-ing lockdown.

Did the lockdown in California make it illegal for you to leave your house and ride alone? Or did all of the group rides in your area get canceled due to the lockdown? And you being a very sociable, loving person, would never ever ride alone. You have to be riding with someone to go out for a ride. Or are you simply blaming someone else you don't like for choosing to ride less last year?

The lockdown reduced my mileage because I wasn't commuting, and I was working a lot and didn't have the discipline to get up from my desk and go for a ride -- which also didn't help my weight. Commuting is compelled mileage, and even my relatively short commute was good for my fitness. I've really had to work at getting my daily mileage back up and throwing in rides that at least equaled my commute. I don't know what accounts for Tom's drop in mileage, but one would assume growing older does not help. I am not anticipating getting stronger as I grow older.

-- Jay Beattie.

OK. Makes sense. When I commuted I would get 4 miles per day guaranteed. Not much. But it did get me on the bike. Also made it easier to get on another bike when I got home and head out for a longer ride. I also, and still, am suffering from a lack of initiative to ride. All the group rides were canceled last year so no incentive to get out and ride. They have started up for this year but the laziness bug is still infecting me.
Old April 4th 21, 07:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zondag 4 april 2021 om 03:04:43 UTC+2 schreef :
[...]

I'm puzzled that so many people lack the motivation to go for a ride during the lockdown. That was/is more or less the only fun thing to do for me except no coffee stops. I organized my own:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/suueNpvjwVh2Ruwo8

Lou
Old April 4th 21, 12:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/3/2021 11:28 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:

snip

I'm puzzled that so many people lack the motivation to go for a ride during the lockdown. That was/is more or less the only fun thing to do for me except no coffee stops. I organized my own:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/suueNpvjwVh2Ruwo8

You're doing it wrong.

The problem with your vacuum bottle approach is that the health benefits
of coffee are only present with freshly ground and freshly brewed coffee.

This is the proper equipment:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1irm4UmKG-E0wJgs2Bd8QmesBy1wfsko5/. I
use a small 12V Sealed Lead Acid battery for the grinder because I put
this together a long time ago. I might update it to three 14500 Li-Ion
cells since those would weigh much less. Unfortunately, a hub dynamo
can't supply sufficient wattage to run a grinder.

I may upgrade even further to a coffee grinder with internal
rechargeable batteries and integral filter (which was not available when
I began using my setup) see https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JGLRYJK. Just
remember the scene in City Slickers where Billy Crystal starts a
stampede with his battery-powered coffee grinder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlhYPlXtrNY.

I like the old Svea stove because there's no separate fuel bottle to
carry. Even though there are much smaller stoves that use butane or
propane cartridges, they require a separate fuel bottle or cartridge.

If you're sure to have some AC outlets available then it makes things
easier, you can just bring an immersion heater but the problem in the
U.S. is that with 120V power the immersion heaters tend to be slow
because they are only about 300 watts (doubling the voltage quadruples
the wattage for 240V capable immersion heaters). If you're riding an
electric bicycle with a 48V battery you can just buy a 48VDC, 800 watt
immersion heater https://www.ebay.com/itm/284202745018 though doing
this will shorten your range.

------------------------------
“Experts agree, coffee is good food.”
------------------------------
Old April 4th 21, 01:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 7:49:14 a.m. UTC-4, sms wrote:
[...]

I just use a small hand cranked coffee grinder to grind my coffee beans. I don't worry about batteries running down when grinding the coffee beans. LOL

Cheers
Old April 4th 21, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 11:28:07 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Four stars on your bike Lou.
Old April 4th 21, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zondag 4 april 2021 om 17:18:46 UTC+2 schreef :
[...]

One positive thing about 'the plaque' and the lockdown is that you can't spent your money on anything else (as long as you keep your job of course).

Lou
Old April 4th 21, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 10:48:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Except that people are going crazy on Amazon. I feel totally guilty about Amazon -- ordering some 2oz part and having a big sprinter van bringing it to my door in a day. What a waste, and the vans are everywhere. I was actually riding up this road on little after work loop through the hills, and two vans encountered each other from opposite directions. I had to wait around for ten minutes for the downhill van to slowly back out of the way, all flashers and beepers. https://tinyurl.com/pc28jmet Probably a couple of dopes looking at Googlemaps with no idea that the road is basically a driveway. BTW, the coffee shop where my little cohort musters before rides has remained open throughout the plague and has somehow gotten away with condemning a roadway in Sellwood, a congested local neighborhood. https://tinyurl.com/vxfyy69f More power to them.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 4th 21, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 4/3/21 11:28 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

+1

COVID had next to zero influence on my riding miles.

... That was/is more or less the only fun thing to do for me except no coffee stops. I organized my own:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/suueNpvjwVh2Ruwo8

Coffee? Nah. We kept making our regular beer stops for lunch. At times
that meant riding other routes than usual, mostly into our less
restrictive El Dorado County versus Sacramento County. During rides into
more restrictive regions I carried homebrew for me and the guys in the
left pannier. IPA is very tolerant WRT rougher rides (MTB).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 4th 21, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 5:08:40 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

In my opinion the hand grinders don't grind fine enough. I use my AC coffee grinder also for spices.
Old April 4th 21, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 11:23:08 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Now if they only could stop demanding masks.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article The abstract is enough, the study makes a lot of to-do about nothing.