Crazy eBay offers

Old April 9th 21, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Crazy eBay offers

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 6:01:11 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 3:51:47 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 4/8/2021 3:11 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip
It was a difficult 5 minute search, but I think I found it. Is it
this one?

"Trek Emonda 60 cm Ultegra Di2"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trek-Emonda-60-cm-Ultegra-Di2/294106726321
$3,500 + $150 shipping.

There were several different Emonda variants in 2018. At $3500 for a
used one with no warranty presumably it's the Émonda SLR ($6500 new),
but the listing doesn't say.

Nope, Tom's bike is just an SL6 with UDi2 instead of the OE Ultegra cable.. It was not built for Di2. It does have nice Ultegra brakes rather than the OE Bontrager brakes. It has a bunch of sketchy Chi-carbon stuff. The closest current bike would be an SL7, but that bike is made for electronic and has discs and other things going for it. The carbon has also changed, IIRC. Tom's bike is $600 -1,000 overpriced -- plus I thought he had sold it. No?

-- Jay Beattie.

If this bike wasn't made for Di2, why does it have all of the ports for Di2 and none of the cable mounts for manual shifting?
Old April 9th 21, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

[...]

I sold the 2004 Madone with manual shifting for what these people think the 2018 Emonda is worth. Someone certainly is clueless and it isn't the people with money. It is the jackasses that couldn't afford a decent burial.
Old April 9th 21, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 6:25:49 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:

Well the SL6 without Di2 had an MSRP of $2500. Trying to get $3650, even
with the Di2 added, would be a real stretch, he'd have to luck out and
find an extremely clueless buyer.

Figure 60% of ($2500 + $1200). If he can get $2400, including shipping,
he should take it and run, but I suspect that $2000-2200 would be about
the best he could do.

Looks to me like you're trying to talk me down on my price. Too bad that I've already had two offers and turned them down. That was in the first day. Maybe you can explain why you think that my stuff is worthless, but 11 other cited bikes that are like mine or less, are priced as high or higher than mine? One of them is even a frameset. I've always wondered. What's it like to be a politician who can't get elected and have people make gagging sounds when they see you?
Old April 9th 21, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 18:01:08 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:
Tom's bike is $600 -1,000 overpriced -- plus I thought he had sold it. No?
-- Jay Beattie.

No. It was previously listed on Craigslist, but didn't sell.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/san-leandro-2018-trek-emonda-sl6-with/7284847343.html
"This posting has been deleted by its author."

More words of wisdom from someone who has a Schwinn Corvette to ride.
Old April 9th 21, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

Tom's bike is $600 -1,000 overpriced -- plus I thought he had sold it. No?
-- Jay Beattie.

No. It was previously listed on Craigslist, but didn't sell.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/san-leandro-2018-trek-emonda-sl6-with/7284847343.html
"This posting has been deleted by its author."

Tom might find someone clueless enough to be willing to significantly
overpay for a used bicycle with no warranty, it only takes one person,
looking for that particular bicycle in that particular size, and that
isn't aware of the Di2 kludge.

However given the relatively large number of listings for similar bikes,
listings that actually include _which_ Emonda model is being offered for
sale, it's likely that he'll have to settle for at least $1000 less than
what he's asking. I wonder why the craigslist listing included the
Emonda model but not the eBay listing. Maybe he was hoping that with the
high asking price that someone would just automatically believe that it
was a higher-end model.

Remember the W.C. Fields' quote: "It's morally wrong to allow a sucker
to keep his money."

This reminds me of car shopping at a Toyota dealer with my daughter. The
2 year old car, of the same model, would be priced higher than the new
price of the same model that you could get through a car-buying service
such as from Costco, without any haggling at all.

I asked the salesperson why anyone would buy the used car for more money
and he said "enough people aren't aware of how much the new cars sell
for so they think that they're getting a good deal on a used car." At
least he was honest! Also, with the new car you get the full warranty as
well as scheduled maintenance for two years. I still have the
spreadsheet I did in 2017, the MSRP was $20,044, the invoice was
$18,557, the price, without any haggling, was $14,426, and there was
another $750 cash back (new college graduate rebate) for a total of
$13,676. The 2015 and 2016 used cars of the same model were priced
between $16,500 and $17,500 (at least those were the asking prices). I
think there's a good reason why many car dealers now operate separate
lots for their new car and used car businesses!
Old April 9th 21, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

[...]

The 2018 SL6 was not spec'd with Di2. You have a covers over a cable port. This was the Di2 bike of 2018: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-sl-7/p/22092/ You can fit Di2 on the SL6, but it was not sold as a Di2 bike.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 9th 21, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/8/2021 6:20 PM, News 2021 wrote:
On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 16:30:48 -0700, Jeff Liebermann scribed:

I would think that the Di2 shifters would add quite a bit to the value.

Only to a clueless buyer. Mixed Di2 parts should be a clanging bell to
look elsewhere.

Well of course the listing doesn't mention the Di2 kludge, it just says
Di2. Whatever. Maybe he'll find a clueless buyer. But buyers of
multi-thousand dollar bicycles may be smarter than he believes, plus
there are a lot of other listings on eBay that are more transparent. I
wonder how much a Trek dealer charges for a used Emonda of the same model.
Old April 9th 21, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/8/2021 6:18 PM, News 2021 wrote:
On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 15:51:37 -0700, sms scribed:

On 4/8/2021 3:11 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

It was a difficult 5 minute search, but I think I found it. Is it this
one?

"Trek Emonda 60 cm Ultegra Di2"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trek-Emonda-60-cm-Ultegra-Di2/294106726321
$3,500 + $150 shipping.

There were several different Emonda variants in 2018. At $3500 for a
used one with no warranty presumably it's the Émonda SLR ($6500 new),
but the listing doesn't say.

A rule of thumb for used bicycles in person to person sales isthat it's
worth 60% of the new MSRP at the time (if the used bike is in pristine
condition) and upgrades do not improve the value.

Pfillel, I'll go with the 60%, but 'upgrades' are worth zilch, unless the
buyer really, rally wants that upgrade. Remember an 'upgrade' takes
something away before t put something back and it may not be 'extra'.

Uh, isn't that what I said "upgrades do not improve the value." Well
unless you find a buyer that really wanted that particular upgrade and
would have done it themselves anyway.

When the 105 brakeset failed on my road bike I "upgraded" it to Ultegra,
but only because the LBS had a better price on an Ultegra set that they
had taken off of a new bike where the owner wanted the higher level
(Dura-Ace?). But I'm sure that this "upgrade" didn't increase the value
of the bike should I ever decide to sell it.
Old April 9th 21, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 7:49:55 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Jay, I have no idea what you believe. There are exactly the same Di2 covers on both sides of the SL6. Only the right side is used to route the Di2. There is NO WAY to use that other port to route manual shifters. Since we cannot post photos here I cannot show you. What would make you believe that I would put Di2 on a bike that wasn't set up for it in a bike of that grade?

There is NO way to cut those ports and add the threaded covers. The openings are not large enough for a manual shift cable outer. There is virtually no difference in the Emonda from its inception until the SMALL changes for 2021 - the T47 bottom bracket and the so-called aero stem assembly designed specifically to use that bar end charge controller and route the cables through the head tube instead of the side of the down tube. Of course the 2021 "wireless" Di2 makes that route unnecessary and the controller is built into the battery now.

What I'm thinking is that there were Di2 models for ALL of the Emonda's regardless of what SL6, 7 or 8 is supposed to mean.

I have built "external" Di2 bikes but only bikes that were specialized. The Redline CX bike and my Lemond Zurich which was built long before the idea of Di2. And I intend to remove and sell the Dura Ace Di2 off of the Lemond and return to Campy 10. Having to continuously shift everything is really mentally tiring and my ride on my Eddy yesterday was a revelation. Really, I would return to 9 speed if I could. But the parts are killer expensive.
Old April 9th 21, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 8:27:30 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I noticed that some mind dead idiot said that I deleted my Emonda Posting off of Craigslist SF Bay Area because they are too stupid to use Craigslist so I added pictures of the OE Di2 ports so that Jay can tell me how they were never designed to be used with Di2. https://post.craigslist.org/manage/7...lay&go=display