Crazy eBay offers

Old April 10th 21, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Crazy eBay offers

On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 6:12:35 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 13:45:00 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:
NO, NO, NO. Your bike is not an SRL. SLR is a whole other frame. Different carbon lay-up and different cable arrangement -- lighter and way more expensive. https://www.sefiles.net/images/libra...-305211-14.jpg Look at the f***** label on your bike: SL6. This is not brain surgery. Do you not look at any of the links I posted (rhetorical question). Go back to the video I posted. That is your goddamned bike. WAKE UP!
-- Jay Beattie.

Photo of the label from Tom's eBay listing:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cYkAAOSwUH1gbHtt/s-l1600.jpg
So it is written, so it must be.

That's my simple point. This is not a matter of guessing or opinion. I don't want people thinking that their rim-brake SLs are SLRs. It's a different frame. Both fine frames, but one is finer.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 10th 21, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:
NO, NO, NO. Your bike is not an SRL. SLR is a whole other frame. Different carbon lay-up and different cable arrangement -- lighter and way more expensive. https://www.sefiles.net/images/libra...-305211-14.jpg Look at the f***** label on your bike: SL6. This is not brain surgery. Do you not look at any of the links I posted (rhetorical question). Go back to the video I posted. That is your goddamned bike. WAKE UP!
-- Jay Beattie.

Photo of the label from Tom's eBay listing:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cYkAAOSwUH1gbHtt/s-l1600.jpg
So it is written, so it must be.

That's my simple point. This is not a matter of guessing or opinion. I don't want people thinking that their rim-brake SLs are SLRs. It's a different frame. Both fine frames, but one is finer.

Jay, they advertise the Trek Emonda SLR as "insanely light at 640 grams" Those weight measurements are usually for the smallest size and THAT weight is 1.4 lbs. My 60 cm frame and seatpost were 2 lbs. Why don't you go out and pay almost $4,000 for that insanely light bike. Much to my surprise I have been unable to tell the difference in a 16 lb. bike and a 20 lb bike. I suppose you could in a 20 mile climb but hard 20 mile climbs aren't that common anywhere.
Old April 10th 21, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:
NO, NO, NO. Your bike is not an SRL. SLR is a whole other frame. Different carbon lay-up and different cable arrangement -- lighter and way more expensive. https://www.sefiles.net/images/libra...-305211-14.jpg Look at the f***** label on your bike: SL6. This is not brain surgery. Do you not look at any of the links I posted (rhetorical question). Go back to the video I posted. That is your goddamned bike. WAKE UP!
-- Jay Beattie.

Photo of the label from Tom's eBay listing:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cYkAAOSwUH1gbHtt/s-l1600.jpg
So it is written, so it must be.

That's my simple point. This is not a matter of guessing or opinion. I don't want people thinking that their rim-brake SLs are SLRs. It's a different frame. Both fine frames, but one is finer.

Someone spending that much on a used bike, with no frame warranty, is
certain to know the difference between an SL and an SLR. Nothing wrong
with a used SL at the proper price. As you stated earlier, and everyone
agrees, his asking price is about $800-1000 too high. But he's accepting
offers and he probably could get $2000-2400 for it if he can find the
right buyer.
Old April 10th 21, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 7:35:29 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 5:14:41 AM UTC-7, wrote:
To send a bike by ground transportation from Oakland to Washington DC is $400 with packing and shipping. This is WITHOUT insurance.

My shipping experience is limited to a very few times at the local UPS office and the US Post Office. And the prices always seem high for small boxes. I'm guessing shipping costs are one reason Craig's List local sales saw growth in the past decade, at the expense of eBay. I have some specialized items I have considered selling. But maybe I am lucky in that they are a name brand item with dedicated sales forums on the internet. Shipping, local delivery may work out differently than with very large bicycle boxes sent across the USA.

The San Francisco bay area runs from Santa Rosa to Gilroy and from the Peninsula to Livermore This is about a quarter of the costal area of California. I can advertise my stuff for the exact same prices and eventually it will sell and people might drive from Sacramento or Modesto to get it. So it isn't as if I overprice my stuff. Only someone like sms could say such things. And you will notice that the types of bikes he is interested in he says are worth the prices they are asking. This is a pretty clear indication of why he lost his political office.

I listed my Emonda on eBay two days ago and I've already had two offers on it.

Above you state "So it isn't as if I overprice my stuff." And above you also state "I listed my Emonda on eBay two days ago and I've already had two offers on it." Why haven't you sold your bike? We have supply, your bike. We have demand, the two offers. Supply and demand, capitalism. What don't we have? A mutually agreeable price?
Old April 10th 21, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 14:59:04 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 05:35:27 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

I listed my Emonda on eBay two days ago and I've already had two offers on it.

I'm disappointed. You post a blow by blow account of your trials and
tribulations preparing an unknown quantity of bicycles for sale and
you fail to post a photo or eBay page? After a dozen articles
discussing the relative merits of different bottom bracket threads and
receiving expert advice on exactly how you screwed up, I would have
expected a photo and description of the final result. At a minimum,
you should be proud to display the results of your skill and efforts.
Instead, you require those who had assisted to laboriously dig through
the eBay listings to find a photo and description. Aren't you proud
of your work? Don't you want others to see your handiwork? If so,
why are you don't your best to hide the listing? Or, are we just
pawns in your game of chess interested only in maximizing your
profits? What are you hiding?

It was a difficult 5 minute search, but I think I found it. Is it
this one?

"Trek Emonda 60 cm Ultegra Di2"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trek-Emonda-60-cm-Ultegra-Di2/294106726321
$3,500 + $150 shipping.
--
Jeff Liebermann
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

I don't know. The somewhat high price of $3500 for a used bike and complete lack of year of the bike or group does match up really well with Tom. And the San Leandro location of the seller. And his description of the shipping matches his prior post about the real shipping cost being $156 + $174 = $330. I guess $330 equals $400 mentioned in the eBay ad. Personally the math I learned in school never made $330 equal $400, but Tom didn't go to school.

But the really questionable part is the ad has this quote "Di2 shifting is absolutely the best." Now we all know Tom has posted many, many, many times about how awful and terrible and horrible Di2 is. So this would be an outright lie. And we know Tom/Trump does not lie!
Old April 10th 21, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

You must have an ego the size of the White House and a mind with similar values.

Thank all the deities we managed to get rid of Trump, the prior occupant of the White House who did have an ego the size of the White House. His mind had very low values.
Old April 10th 21, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 15:26:41 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich

"Trek Emonda 60 cm Ultegra Di2"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trek-Emonda-60-cm-Ultegra-Di2/294106726321
$3,500 + $150 shipping.

Did you find that Emonda the same size with Ultegra manual shifting parts on it for twice that price? No, I didn't think that you would mention it if you had.

Is that the correct listing? We want to know.

Sorting the available Emonda bicycles by price:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=emonda
We find that there are 24 out of 53 bicycles selling for less than
your $3,500 asking price. There are two machines offered for $10,000
each. One is also asking $1,000 for shipping:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164545474696
We suggest you raise your asking price.
--
Jeff Liebermann
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Why didn't you show this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trek-Emonda...AOSwzWxgbQ1 6

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Trek-E...AOSwgCtgbnl n

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2021-Trek-E...AOSwKNVga2m J

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Trek-E...AOSwxBdgbkD 2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2021-Trek-E...AOSw96Ff8di R

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Trek-E...AOSwOnVgNoL z

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Trek-E...Cclp%3A2334524

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trek-2020-E...AOSwRbJgY0L 8

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Trek-E...AOSwUepftuc b

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Trek-E...AOSwUepftuc b

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trek-Emonda...AOSwEelgQ~1 H

There are pages and pages more. Why didn't you mention them? Everyone of these is asking my price of more. Some, a LOT more. But when you can hide that you will won't you?

Most of those listings are 52, 54, 56 cm sizes. And you have stated many times you ride a very large bike. So those are obviously not your bike for sale. Its also easier to sell a more in demand bicycle size such as 52, 54, 56 cm. Than a slightly large frame size of 60cm. Higher price with higher demand. Capitalism 101 Beginner class.
Old April 10th 21, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 15:51:37 -0700, sms
wrote:
On 4/8/2021 3:11 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

It was a difficult 5 minute search, but I think I found it. Is it
this one?

"Trek Emonda 60 cm Ultegra Di2"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trek-Emonda-60-cm-Ultegra-Di2/294106726321
$3,500 + $150 shipping.

There were several different Emonda variants in 2018. At $3500 for a
used one with no warranty presumably it's the Émonda SLR ($6500 new),
but the listing doesn't say.

"New 2018 Trek Emonda SLR & SL - Ten Things to Know"
https://www.bikeexchange.com/blog/trek-emonda-2018-ten-things-to-know
Item #10 is a chart of various 2018 Emonda models and associated MSRP.

Model US MSRP
Émonda SLR 9 $11,000
Émonda SLR 8 Disc $7,000
Émonda SLR 8 $6,500
Émonda SLR 6 Disc $5,500
Émonda SLR 6 $5,000
Émonda SL 7 $4,500
Émonda SL 6 Disc $2,999
Émonda SL 6 Pro TBD
Émonda SL 6 $2,500
Émonda SL 5 $2,000
Émonda SL 5 Women's $2,000

I can't tell if it's a 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 model.
A rule of thumb for used bicycles in person to person sales is that it's
worth 60% of the new MSRP at the time (if the used bike is in pristine
condition) and upgrades do not improve the value. So $6500 * 0.60 =
$3900, so $3650 is not unreasonable considering the cosmetic damage that
is noted. But if it's a lower-end model then the price is high.

I would think that the Di2 shifters would add quite a bit to the
value.
--
Jeff Liebermann

I suspect the 60% valuation sms used applies to Di2 as well as the frame, wheels, parts, etc. Di2 depreciates equally with all the other parts. I don't think of Di2 as an upgrade. They are a completely different shifting system. You pay more up front, but you get more on resale too. 60% of new according to sms valuation.
Old April 10th 21, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/10/2021 8:37 AM, wrote:

snip

Above you state "So it isn't as if I overprice my stuff." And above you also state "I listed my Emonda on eBay two days ago and I've already had two offers on it." Why haven't you sold your bike? We have supply, your bike. We have demand, the two offers. Supply and demand, capitalism. What don't we have? A mutually agreeable price?

Nothing anyone says here will convince him that he is asking too much.

Eventually it will sell, if he really wants to get rid of it and is
willing to accept an appropriate offer. And it only takes one person
that is willing to overpay for him to sell it.

You see this all the time on craigslist, Nextdoor, and eBay. Many people
base their price on what they paid for something, or on the MSRP, not
understanding how most used stuff loses a big percentage of its value.
Then they get extremely defensive if anyone points out that the reason
something isn't selling is that they priced it way too high.

It's common to see used bicycles priced very high. I saw a 1980's Fuji
Sundance mountain bike, a model I once owned, advertised for $500 on
Nextdoor. It was $425, new, 35 years ago. It had those U brakes, with
the rear brake down by the bottom bracket. I donated mine to a
non-profit that takes under-privileged kids mountain biking "Trips for
Kids."

With used bicycles the other issue is that someone trying to save money
on a high-end bicycle could just go to a bicycle shop at the end of the
model year when they have big sales and get 25-35% off the remaining
stock. I know it would drive Trek and Specialized dealers crazy when the
manufacturer began clearing out inventory and offering shops really low
wholesale prices because the dealers were often stuck with inventory
that they paid much higher prices for and had to sell that inventory at
lower prices too.

You can Google the closeout sales for the Emonda SL6 for 2019. The first
result I got the shop was selling the 2019 Emonda SL6 Pro for $3199.99.
You would get the full warranty. But no added Di2. When you're pricing a
used item you can't just go by the MSRP of the item when it was
introduced, you have to look at the street price of item that shops were
actually selling it for.

Old April 10th 21, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Looks to me like you're trying to talk me down on my price. Too bad that I've already had two offers and turned them down. That was in the first day.. Maybe you can explain why you think that my stuff is worthless, but 11 other cited bikes that are like mine or less, are priced as high or higher than mine?

You had two offers in the first day BUT did not sell the bike. Maybe because the bike is overpriced? I've heard tell in California in the Bay area that houses are listed and they receive dozens of offers on the first day and the actual selling price is 20% higher than asking price. Not in your case though.

As for why we don't comment on the 11 other bikes for sale priced higher? Those people aren't participating in this forum. My city has a newspaper with want ads. I am not commenting on everything being sold in my city. My city has houses for sale. The only ones I am interested in are ones priced similarly to mine AND are in similar locations and size and age and condition. Million dollar mansions in country clubs don't merit any attention from me.