Your gearing is obsolete

Old June 21st 20, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default Your gearing is obsolete

Roger Merriman wrote:
wrote:
On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 10:39:48 PM UTC-5, news18 wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 07:03:29 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

The defining factor for bicycle commuting is in general distance. Women,
children and old people are not going to ride 5 miles to get their
groceries.

Lol, as usual more piffle from Tommmie.
5 miles is SFA

I'm going to support cyclintom on this one. 3 miles is about the longest
distance commuting is reasonable on an every day basis. Long ago in
school I lived 2 miles from elementary, 3 miles from junior high, 3 miles
from high school. I commuted, rode my bike to all of them. Reasonable
enough distance. Anything much longer and the bike ride becomes onerous.
I know a lawyer who commutes about 10 miles each way to his downtown
office. He does it most days of the year. But you are talking 45
minutes of riding time each way. Separated by 8-10 hours of working in the office.

Plenty of folks do seem to ride 4/5 miles locally into the shopping center
depends on area, big royal parks allow good acesss and reasonably good
cycle parking.

Yes a fairly low % like myself commute over 10 miles but again depends on
area etc.

Roger Merriman

My commute to the office used to be 27 km each way. I often wouldn’t ride
the full distance, but ride 12 km to a bus stop, take the bus for 13 km,
then ride the final 2 km into the office. If I wasn’t pressed for time (or
missed the bus), I would ride the full distance. My rationale was that I
could get in 75 minutes of exercise with only a 20 minute penalty over just
taking transit the whole way. When we moved, however, I was looking to
shorten the commute, and then COVID reduced it to zero, which has really
cut into my mileage.

Old June 21st 20, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/21/2020 11:25 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 7:43:32 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/20/2020 10:10 PM, wrote:
[...]

I agree that distance is a huge factor. Of the two jobs I held the
longest, I commuted almost every day to the one 2.6 miles away. I
commuted less often (maybe 2-3 times per week) to the one seven miles away.

This is the main reason I disagree with those who promise that
"protected" bike lanes will get a significant number of Americans out of
their cars. It's unfortunate, but modern America is characterized by
sprawl, with long travel distances. And that's specifically because it
was "designed" assuming automobile transportation.

But of course, there are other factors besides distance. My schedule and
responsibilities were much heavier for the seven mile job. Also, one of
my best biking buddies had the same employer but lived about 1.5 miles
away. He rarely used his bike to get to work, despite his constant
complaining about parking difficulties.

People are just different. And in America, a person must be very
different to want to bike to work.

Not really. If distances are short, terrain flat, traffic bad and parking prices high, you'll see a lot of ordinary people on bikes. Most of the morning commuters in PDX are not Keep Portland Weird types or subculturists as you suggest. They are just people going to work.

Jay, you've got to stop thinking about your city as a representative
sample of the American population. Bumper stickers or no, Portland is
weird, even though I mean that in a good way.

Overall, the bike commuting mode share in the U.S. is way less than 1%.
https://peopleforbikes.org/blog/bike...united-states/

If 99+% of Americans don't commute by bike, the 1% that do must be very
different.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 21st 20, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Ralph Barone wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Due to traffic and awful parking, car/bike are tied for time, if I took the
fast bike/route I could shave another 10mins off, but personally I prefer a
slower more relaxed ride though the parks.

Buses are a good hr slower, and trains 2hrs slower! A fast walker could
probably walk it faster than the train!

Roger Merriman

Old June 21st 20, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

Sadly "One Percenter Cyclist" is already taken:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/75/8b...fb609869c1.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 21st 20, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 6/20/2020 10:10 PM, wrote:
[...]

And when I moved to Portland, there was a fairly low volume of cyclists. They didn't just magically appear. They were grown, and they can be grown elsewhere. https://tinyurl.com/y8nzpaok

Palo Alto is weird if you consider being rich weird. Same goes with Mountain View. IMO, Silicon Valley is like low hanging fruit for bicycle commuters: flat, sunny, congested and expensive. Promotion worked well in Palo Alto..

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 22nd 20, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 3:55:36 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

And when I moved to Portland, there was a fairly low volume of cyclists. They didn't just magically appear. They were grown, and they can be grown elsewhere. https://tinyurl.com/y8nzpaok

Agree. I know a girl who lives in Minneapolis, and she rides. And lots of other people ride too. To work too. Minneapolis is up there with Andy's Madison above the Arctic circle within spitting distance of the North Pole and Santa's house. Don't know how people up there ride in the year round blizzards and icebergs.

Old June 22nd 20, 12:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 22.06.2020 um 06:15 schrieb :
On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 3:55:36 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

And when I moved to Portland, there was a fairly low volume of
cyclists. They didn't just magically appear. They were grown, and
they can be grown elsewhere.
https://tinyurl.com/y8nzpaok

Agree. I know a girl who lives in Minneapolis, and she rides. And
lots of other people ride too. To work too. Minneapolis is up there
with Andy's Madison above the Arctic circle within spitting distance
of the North Pole and Santa's house. Don't know how people up there
ride in the year round blizzards and icebergs.

In winter, half of the bike trails in parks are re-purposed for
cross-country skiing, the other half are cleared of snow every moring
before the main roads. The daytime temperatures are above zero
(Fahrenheit) most of the time, so you can just wrap up and go (have a
coffe stop at McDonals every hour if you're doing a day trip).

If you feel like cycling on the lakes rather than round them, spiked
tires might be useful ;-)

In summer, I noticed that Minneapolis is further south than central
Europe ;-)

Rolf Mantel
Old June 24th 20, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 6/20/2020 10:10 PM, wrote:
[...]

Not really. If distances are short, terrain flat, traffic bad and parking prices high, you'll see a lot of ordinary people on bikes. Most of the morning commuters in PDX are not Keep Portland Weird types or subculturists as you suggest. They are just people going to work. On my route, many are doctors and nurses going to OHSU.
https://www.ohsu.edu/sites/default/f...anner_2020.jpg That's like a third of the bicycle parking down at the Tram. https://bikeportland.org/2017/01/27/...e-versa-214214

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, you're not talking about distances and times to commute. Doctors commuting to an office 10 miles on a commuter bike averaging less than 10 mph and arriving sweaty and anxious from heavy car traffic?
Old June 24th 20, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 9:01:14 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Well, we do have the additional problem of very heavy bike theft around here. So heavy that it would be impossible to leave your bike during working hours and expect to find it when you returned. Even with the heaviest bike locks in existence you couldn't let a bicycle out of your sight in San Francisco.

Old June 24th 20, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 6/20/2020 10:10 PM, wrote:
[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI7T2iuGjjc This guy commutes to OHSU. In fact, I've run into him a few times. He's apparently a doctor of some sort. Nice shots going up through the cemetery which is part of my commute home. It's a funny video if you live in PDX because he's going up and down hills that he should only be going up. It's actually a brutal climb up to the hospital if you don't take the tram from south waterfront. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XYwYhXcHk4

-- Jay Beattie.

Dynamos - obsolete? Jim Easterbrook UK 3 December 22nd 05 01:47 PM
Dynamos - obsolete? Tony B UK 1 December 22nd 05 10:55 AM
Dynamos - obsolete? Just zis Guy, you know? UK 1 December 21st 05 11:40 PM
Dynamos - obsolete? Nigel Cliffe UK 0 December 21st 05 07:48 PM
Parts already obsolete? [email protected] General 68 September 24th 05 03:00 AM