Tubeless Tire Conversion??

Old January 17th 05, 01:52 PM
Bill Wheeler

Default Tubeless Tire Conversion??

1. Do tubeless tires really make a difference?
2. Is the "Stan's" system any good?
3. Has anybody used this system on WTB Speed Disc Rims?
4. How well do they really hold air.
5. notubes.com recommends not using CO2....that sucks. (this is a
comment and not a question)

Although I've never flatted on my current tubed tires, I'm thinking
about giving tubeless a try.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Peace,
Bill

The First law, Inertia: Unless acted upon by an outside force,
a body at rest tends to stay at rest,
and a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
Sir Isaac Newton
Old January 17th 05, 02:05 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Bill Wheeler wrote:
1. Do tubeless tires really make a difference?

If you tend to ride in thorny areas, get pinch flats, or want to ride at
low pressure, yes it does.

2. Is the "Stan's" system any good?

Been using it for a year. I had one failure on a gravel road. A very
sharp piece of gravel tour a knobby off the tire. Once there's a whole
in the tire that big, you are SOL. Other than that, I have never gotten
a flat.

3. Has anybody used this system on WTB Speed Disc Rims?

No, but I don't see why you couldn't. I use it on American Classic
rims, which are very light.

4. How well do they really hold air.

As good as a tube (without a hole, of course).

5. notubes.com recommends not using CO2....that sucks. (this is a
comment and not a question)

It causes the latex to freeze. Once it does that, you've altered the
chemical compound and made it less effective.

Although I've never flatted on my current tubed tires, I'm thinking
about giving tubeless a try.

Go for it but remember to carry a tube with you, just in case.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old January 17th 05, 03:12 PM
Treefrog

"Bill Wheeler" wrote in message
1. Do tubeless tires really make a difference?
2. Is the "Stan's" system any good?
3. Has anybody used this system on WTB Speed Disc Rims?
4. How well do they really hold air.
5. notubes.com recommends not using CO2....that sucks. (this is a
comment and not a question)

Although I've never flatted on my current tubed tires, I'm thinking
about giving tubeless a try.

What's the point?
Oh, and try getting tubeless to inflate from flat. hehehe.

Old January 17th 05, 07:04 PM

Treefrog wrote:

What's the point?
Oh, and try getting tubeless to inflate from flat. hehehe.

Been doing that for 2 years now. hehehe

Nate

Old January 17th 05, 08:09 PM
Bill Wheeler

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:05:11 -0500, Ride-A-Lot
wrote:

Bill Wheeler wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info,

Old January 17th 05, 08:11 PM
Bill Wheeler

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:12:47 -0000, "Treefrog"
wrote:

"Bill Wheeler" wrote in message
.. .
1. Do tubeless tires really make a difference?
2. Is the "Stan's" system any good?
3. Has anybody used this system on WTB Speed Disc Rims?
4. How well do they really hold air.
5. notubes.com recommends not using CO2....that sucks. (this is a
comment and not a question)

Although I've never flatted on my current tubed tires, I'm thinking
about giving tubeless a try.

What's the point?

I'm slow to change so I've turned a new leave to be more receptive to
hype.

Oh, and try getting tubeless to inflate from flat. hehehe.

I'll use a tube for temporary flats.

Old January 17th 05, 08:31 PM
MattB

Bill Wheeler wrote:
1. Do tubeless tires really make a difference?
2. Is the "Stan's" system any good?
3. Has anybody used this system on WTB Speed Disc Rims?
4. How well do they really hold air.
5. notubes.com recommends not using CO2....that sucks. (this is a
comment and not a question)

Although I've never flatted on my current tubed tires, I'm thinking
about giving tubeless a try.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Peace,
Bill

The First law, Inertia: Unless acted upon by an outside force,
a body at rest tends to stay at rest,
and a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
Sir Isaac Newton

I tried Stans for a bit. Great when they are working well, but I had
trouble with both of mine in a single weekend after a couple of months
of use. I put tubes in "temporarily" but never bothered to set them back
up again because it was such a PIA.
Neat idea but it didn't pan out for me.

Matt
Old January 17th 05, 09:03 PM
Ride-A-Lot

MattB wrote:
Bill Wheeler wrote:

[...]

I'm trying out some kevlar strips that go in between the tire and tube
for my trip to Mexico. As much as I like Stans, I do not want to be
stuck in the middle of Mexico with a failure. The strips are supposed
to prevent most thorns and pinch flats and weigh only 34g.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old January 17th 05, 10:27 PM
elitistmtbsnob

wrote in message
ups.com...

Treefrog wrote:

What's the point?
Oh, and try getting tubeless to inflate from flat. hehehe.

Been doing that for 2 years now. hehehe

I've never had a problem setting the bead. hehehe.

Old January 17th 05, 10:28 PM
elitistmtbsnob

wrote:

"Bill Wheeler" wrote in message
.. .
1. Do tubeless tires really make a difference?
2. Is the "Stan's" system any good?
3. Has anybody used this system on WTB Speed Disc Rims?
4. How well do they really hold air.
5. notubes.com recommends not using CO2....that sucks. (this is a
comment and not a question)

Although I've never flatted on my current tubed tires, I'm thinking
about giving tubeless a try.

What's the point?

I'm slow to change so I've turned a new leave to be more receptive to
hype.

Like the SS hype?

Oh, and try getting tubeless to inflate from flat. hehehe.

I'll use a tube for temporary flats.

Or you can use tubeless slime.