Any updates on X USA guy?

Old August 11th 04, 09:11 AM
one wheeled stallion

Default Any updates on X USA guy?

Has anyone heard of, or even manage to meet up with the man who is/was
trying to ride across the US? Patrick Thomas (could have made that name
up, but I'm sure it's that!)?

How is he progressing? And is he still on that stock Schwinn?

--
one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

OWS

"...I explain briefly to him that such conduct leaves him vulnerable to
accusations of being an idiot. We part as enemies" - Mikefule

one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

Old August 11th 04, 01:28 PM
brian.slater

You did not make up the name - Patrick Thomas is correct - I meet
Patrick on my way home after NAUCC, between Steamboat Springs and
Denver. His website is 'pedal the waves'
(http://www.pedalthewaves.org/), according to it he's made it to
Lincoln, Nebraska although it hasen't been updated since August 2nd.

Here's the 'post' (http://tinyurl.com/6zkp3) I made about meeting him

His photo section hasn't been updated since before I meet him - I took a
couple of pictures for him that aren't in it yet.

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old August 21st 04, 04:02 PM
brian.slater

I have recieved an email from Patrick Thomas:
Dear Family, Friends and Supporters,

I would like to take the time to thank you for your warmth, support,
encouragement, patience, life sustaining care package (courtesy of Tim
Bustos) and belief in me and what I have been attempting to
accomplish. I left San Francisco on Friday, June 11, skirting the
waves of the mighty Pacific Ocean, amidst a bright flicker of
euphoria. I must admit that the experiences of the last couple of
months have restrained my initial elation at the moment of departure
and brought me back in line with the parameters of reality.

To those who have written or will write me, allow me to describe a
typical day and explain why this has not been a vacation trip and why
you can expect not to hear from me until sometime in September.
Usually, I awake at sunrise and start pedaling somewhere between 7 and
10am. My average speed is 6 miles an hour, without gears and no
coasting. When I have a 50, 60 or 70 mile day, this translates to 9,
10, 11 or 12 hours of cycling during the day.

By the time I roll into the next town, I usually check into a hotel
(if there is one) or find a safe place to camp for the night. Often,
when I get into the room, I only have the energy to flip channels
until I fall asleep. The next morning, if you look at the bed,
sometimes, you can’t tell someone slept in it because the bed linen is
undisturbed as I just fell into the bed and drifted into slumber the
previous night. If I have a rest day, I normally spend the time in
the public library, preparing press releases to media organizations in
the next 4 or 5 cities through which I will pass before the next rest
day.

Though I envisioned corresponding regularly with people and updating
my online journal based on each day’s experiences, I have concluded
that this will have to wait. I write notes from the roadside everyday
and hope these will culminate in a book in the near future. Stay
tuned. For the present, I would like to share feelings, thoughts and
reflections that I have amassed over the past 2 months. Though I have
often scorned these mass e-mails and have always been in favor of
connecting on an individual basis, what flows below is all I currently
have time and energy for.

The past 60 days of this odyssey have taken me through the California
Gold Country, up, above, down and beyond the Sierras, across the
baking heat and desolate landscape of the Nevada terrain (highway 50 –
The Loneliest Road lives up to its reputation), past the spectacular
sights and small and large towns and cities of Utah, along the ascents
and descents of the spiritually-inspiring topography of the Colorado
Rockies, through the corn and soybean fields of Nebraska, up and down
the endlessly rolling hills of Iowa (contrary to a popular
misconception, Iowa is NOT flat) and across the Mississippi to the
windy city of Chicago, which is where I am now.

2

I have been molded and sculpted by experiences and ordeals whose
impact will last a lifetime. Constant reminders have compelled me to
remember that, as much as I want to peak around the bend and see what
fate has in store for me, it is imperative to grasp the moment at
hand. If one loses sight of this perspective, the precious treasure
held in the palm of the present is lost forever.

That which has humbled me the most during this chapter of my life has
been the treatment I have received from my fellow Americans. In light
of all we have been through as a country, particularly over these last
few years, it is quite difficult to convey just how remarkable and
refreshing it is to discover that trust and neighborly caring IS alive
in this country. Were it not for this fact, I would have returned
home to San Francisco weeks ago. During the truly challenging
moments, when I seriously doubted myself and my dedication to the
causes for which I have been riding and even questioned the very
reasons for which I was engaging in what, at times, seemed like a
hopeless folly, time and time again, people, TOTAL STRANGERS, picked
me up, literally placed me back in my unicycle saddle and blocked off
the path of quitting that I was eagerly and anxiously contemplating.
These people, my fellow citizens, would take the initiative to offer
me food, drink, lodging and would resuscitate my heart, resurrect my
soul and re-inject meaning into a venture and vision that seemed to
bear little or no fruit. As much as I have relished the divine,
natural beauty of the United States, the crown jewels I have unearthed
are the individuals who dwell throughout our land that have rekindled
the flame of my belief in the general goodness of human beings. If we
were to treat our “neighbors” (people who live in our neighborhood and
those who do not) with only a fraction of the warmth I have
encountered on my path, our world would be much enhanced.

As I surge eastward, beyond the 2/3 mark of my trajectory, I look
forward to gaining a clear sense of the effect my journey has had on
the fight against cancer and hunger. I hope that during our lifetime,
the reigns of cancer and hunger as plagues that afflict the human race
will be ended. In another aspect, my dear friend, Colette, suggested
that my trip will end up being a success, if only as a result of my
efforts to fulfill my self-declared appointment as a goodwill
ambassador. Though this trip does not require travel documents, my
unicycle has been my passport, granting me access to people, homes and
an overflowing hospitality, as I have visited states, towns and areas
that are quite foreign to that which I am accustomed.

As you can see by the itinerary that I am including below, I still
have a “few” miles to go until I reach my original hometown of New
York City. If the divine forces above continue to cradle me gently in
their cupped palms, as they have done so generously for the passed 10
weeks, I will roll across the Hudson River in the middle of September.
If you would like to see a bit of the media coverage my trip has
generated, go to
www.google.com, type in “Patrick Thomas unicycle” (with spaces) and
then click search and you will see a few stories/articles connected to
me.

3

If you would like to send me invaluable moral support, this is ALWAYS
appreciated. You can e-mail me at: or to the
e-mail link on the website.

Though I will try, I cannot promise any responses before September and
I beg your patience and understanding. I read EVERYTHING personally
as I have access to e-mail once or twice a week.

If you do nothing else, though, try, everyday, to impact at least one
life in a positive way. It could be someone you know or a total
stranger via a random act of kindness. I believe that there is no
evil or negative energy that goodwill, love, warmth and a genuine,
profound caring cannot overcome. If we were all to lock hands and
commit, allow ourselves to be infected by the contagious strain of
caring throughout the year (not just during the holidays) for the
human beings with whom we share Earth, we could form a potent wave,
that could not be contained by any dike. It would wash over all
towns, cities, states and countries, near and far, and precipitate a
new dawn, a promising crop and a bountiful harvest. This is the dream
that accompanies my slumber and the vision to which I awake in the
morning.

I hold you all dear in my thoughts and thank you for keeping me in
yours-

Peace and Prosperity

Patrick Thomas

Date Place Miles
IOWA

August 10 Marengo to Iowa City 30
August 11 Rest & Write
August 12 Rest & Write
August 13 Iowa City to Davenport 56
August 14 Davenport to Rock Falls, IL 62

ILLINOIS

August 15 Rock Falls to Hinckley 60
August 16 Hinckley to Chicago 56
August 17 Rest &Write
August 18 Rest &Write
August 19 Chicago to Valparaiso, IN 57

INDIANA

August 20 Valparaiso to Rochester 66
August 21 Rochester to Kokomo 43
August 22 Kokomo to Indianapolis 60
August 23 Indianapolis to Seymour 62
August 24 Seymour to Louisville, KY 54

Kentucky
August 25 Rest & Write
August 26 Louisville to Carrollton 55
August 27 Carrollton to Cincinnati, OH 58
OHIO

August 28 Cincinnati to Washington Ct. House 72
August 29 Washington Ct. House to Columbus 40
August 30 Columbus to Coshocton 77
August 31 Rest & Write
September 1 Coshocton to Cadiz 58
September 2 Cadiz to East Liverpool 48
September 3 East Liverpool to Pittsburgh 40

Pennsylvania

September 4 Rest & Write
September 5 Pittsburgh to Ligonier 62
September 6 Ligonier to Breezewood 63
September 7 Breezewood to Shippensburg 54
September 8 Shippensburg to Harrisburg 42
September 9 Harrisburg to Reading 61
September 10 Reading to Philadelphia 63
September 11 Rest & Write

New Jersey

September 12 Philadelphia, PA. to New Brunswick, NJ 66

New York

September 13 New Brunswick to New York, New York 35

I've asked him about his itinerary for the last day so that I might ride
with him again for his triumphal entry into NYC, anybody else want to
go? I imagine that his date of Sept. 13 will change, so don't plan for
that date being it.

Old August 22nd 04, 03:36 AM
brian.slater

I would LOVE to share my last day's itinerary with whomever is
interested. To be honest, I have grown tired of solitude and your
brief visit and accompaniment was very refreshing and uplifiting.

You have my cell phone: 415 335 2034. I will probably get to NYC
somewhere between 9/13 and 9/16. Please put it out there that anyone
and everyone interested is MORE THAN WELCOMED to join me. I have
received some offers already-

Be well, my one-wheeled brother-

Patrick

"Brian C. Slater" wrote:
Thank you for the email, I really appreciate it, I also appreciate how
much effort it takes to do what you're doing and how hard it is to do
anything else at the end of a day. Again, thank you.

I am hoping that you are going to share the details of your projected
route of the last day with us, New Brunswick to New York City, as I,
and am sure that others, too, would like to accompany you on your
triumphal entry to NYC, if only for the last few miles.