AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old October 23rd 19, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Refueling

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 13:10:18 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Re rust in tank? I thought that now days all hot water heaters had
either glass lined or stainless tanks?

Re drinking rusty water... Don't people take "iron pills"?

The filth is stuff that has settled out of the water.

Which might include rust -- well water around here has a very high
iron content. The first time I saw the spring behind the highway
garage, I thought it was coming out of a rusty steel pipe. It was
plastic pipe that splash from the spring had been settling on.

I feel a disconnect when people who have always lived here complain
that the water is hard. I can wash my clothes in it without any
treatment, and I can leave dishes in water until I get around to
washing them -- that's *soft*. Where I grew up, we got flowstone in
the tub and sink, and water left in a glass would precipitate on the
sides and bottom.

But it was really great for the teeth of growing children.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old October 23rd 19, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
jOHN b.

wrote:

Re rust in tank? I thought that now days all hot water heaters had
either glass lined or stainless tanks?

Re drinking rusty water... Don't people take "iron pills"?

The filth is stuff that has settled out of the water.

Which might include rust -- well water around here has a very high
iron content. The first time I saw the spring behind the highway
garage, I thought it was coming out of a rusty steel pipe. It was
plastic pipe that splash from the spring had been settling on.

I feel a disconnect when people who have always lived here complain
that the water is hard. I can wash my clothes in it without any
treatment, and I can leave dishes in water until I get around to
washing them -- that's *soft*. Where I grew up, we got flowstone in
the tub and sink, and water left in a glass would precipitate on the
sides and bottom.

The water here has considerable lime content. I don't know whether
that is "hard" or soft but it is "hard" work to remove the lime
deposits from the toilet bowls.

But it was really great for the teeth of growing children.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 11th 19, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Th Th Th That's All Folks

This thread began in August of 2014, at

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...nUwU%5B1-25%5D

with

This post is the first of a weekly series of grandmotherly aphorisms.
Each subject line will begin "AG:" for your killfiling convenience.

I ran out of grandmotherly aphorisms years ago, and should have ended
the thread before it devolved into an embarrassing series of desperate
fillers.

I'll still be around taking random pot-shots.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii