disc brakes on front, v-brakes on rear

Old October 21st 03, 12:18 PM
Zilla

Default disc brakes on front, v-brakes on rear

Makes sense!

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

"jack" wrote in message

"Zilla" wrote in message
. ..
$50! That costs as much as the brake system!

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Yep, it's only worth it if you got a frame that you really like. I've got
an old RM (steel is real) frame that I like. It's got a life time

warranty.

Old October 21st 03, 06:31 PM
Spider

"Paul R" wrote in message ...
Has anyone tried this? Does it work for you?

I don't want to add lugs for rear disc brakes to my frame, so I would only
consider using discs on the front.

I imagine it should be fine, as most of the braking power comes from the
front anyway. The rear brake does not need as much modulation or power as
the front.

Any comments?

Worked great for me for quite a while. It will again, I imagine.

--

Jonesy

E-mail me: rfjonesy *at* hotmail *dot* com
Old October 21st 03, 08:40 PM
Paul R

"Spider" wrote in message
om...
"Paul R" wrote in message

Any comments?

Worked great for me for quite a while. It will again, I imagine.

Sounds like the consensus is "go for it!". I have lugs on my shocks, so I
just need a new front hub. My bike's a Dekerf ST, so I really don't want to
be messin' about with the chainstays (ti) and seatstays (853 steel).

I have two mavic crossmax 32 hole front wheels. One's in brand new condition
and the other's been ridden two seasons.

Anyone interested in trading those two front wheels for 1 new(ish) front
mavic crossmax disc wheel? Then, all I need to get is the avid mechanical
disc brakes!

I live in Toronto. You can contact me at (remove all
dots but the one before com) to discuss.

Thanks for all your help,

Paul

Old October 21st 03, 09:25 PM
Per Elmsäter

jack wrote:
"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message
jack wrote:
Get one of these if you want to add disk brakes to your rear.

I've heard it said that it's difficult to take your rear wheel off
with these thingys on. Do you know anything about that? The picture
sure looks good and I can't figure out why. I was advised against
doing that on my old frame for that very reason.

--
Perre

You need to unscrew the QR level all the way out so you can release
the wheel.

OK that doesn't sound as bad as what I heard.

How often do you take your rear wheel off?

Not as often as I do on my roadbike

--
Perre

Old October 21st 03, 10:42 PM
Jason Andrew

"Paul R" wrote in message
Has anyone tried this? Does it work for you?

I don't want to add lugs for rear disc brakes to my frame, so I would only
consider using discs on the front.

I imagine it should be fine, as most of the braking power comes from the
front anyway. The rear brake does not need as much modulation or power as
the front.

Any comments?

Paul

I recently upgraded my 2000 GT Zaskar to Hope Mini on the front and XT
V-brake on the rear - works a treat. If I was honest, I should have fiited
XT on the front also, I think the disc is a bit cosmetic. I use Pace RC36's
which have the brake bosses behind the forks, so as you brake the pads are
pulled into the wheel, increasing their power. Hope works good though, very
light.

Jase (North Wales)