A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Pedestrian mows down cyclist



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 14th 19, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,014
Default Pedestrian mows down cyclist


I hope the pedestrian was insured and had a valid walking licence.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/...gs-pedestrian/

Ads
  #2  
Old March 14th 19, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,128
Default Pedestrian mows down cyclist

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 09:08:03 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester
wrote:


I hope the pedestrian was insured and had a valid walking licence.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/...gs-pedestrian/


The pedestrian with the dog was crossing a pedestrian crossing where
they had priority over other traffic. The cyclist chose not to give
way to them but behaved as many unfortunately chose to do and rode
around them at speed. Something observed on roads every day.


  #3  
Old March 15th 19, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,014
Default Pedestrian mows down cyclist

On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 10:09:10 PM UTC, Peter Parry wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 09:08:03 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester
wrote:


I hope the pedestrian was insured and had a valid walking licence.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/...gs-pedestrian/


The pedestrian with the dog was crossing a pedestrian crossing where
they had priority over other traffic. The cyclist chose not to give
way to them but behaved as many unfortunately chose to do and rode
around them at speed. Something observed on roads every day.


The road was closed for a cycle race. The policeman should have stopped the pedestrian from crossing.
I suppose you think F1 drivers have to obey Monaco traffic laws.

  #4  
Old March 15th 19, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
GB[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 109
Default Pedestrian mows down cyclist

On 15/03/2019 10:03, Simon Jester wrote:
On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 10:09:10 PM UTC, Peter Parry wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 09:08:03 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester
wrote:


I hope the pedestrian was insured and had a valid walking licence.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/...gs-pedestrian/


The pedestrian with the dog was crossing a pedestrian crossing where
they had priority over other traffic. The cyclist chose not to give
way to them but behaved as many unfortunately chose to do and rode
around them at speed. Something observed on roads every day.


The road was closed for a cycle race. The policeman should have stopped the pedestrian from crossing.
I suppose you think F1 drivers have to obey Monaco traffic laws.


I was wondering about that. I suppose the road really was closed for the
race? There were no barriers that I could see. Nor any signs.

The trouble wasn't the leading cyclists, who swung round the
obstruction, but the ones in the middle of the pack who had their heads
down and couldn't see anything.
  #5  
Old March 15th 19, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,128
Default Pedestrian mows down cyclist

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 03:03:37 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester
wrote:

On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 10:09:10 PM UTC, Peter Parry wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 09:08:03 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester
wrote:


I hope the pedestrian was insured and had a valid walking licence.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/...gs-pedestrian/


The pedestrian with the dog was crossing a pedestrian crossing where
they had priority over other traffic. The cyclist chose not to give
way to them but behaved as many unfortunately chose to do and rode
around them at speed. Something observed on roads every day.


The road was closed for a cycle race.


It didn't seem to be obvious, no spectators and no marshals in the
second clip. Why race on roads? "Training rides" and road racing
cause the death of numerous riders every year. Roads are not for
racing, are there no suitable racing circuits?

The policeman should have stopped the pedestrian from crossing.


For the pedestrian with the dog which policeman was that?

I suppose you think F1 drivers have to obey Monaco traffic laws.


Of course they do.

  #6  
Old March 15th 19, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,014
Default Pedestrian mows down cyclist

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 1:37:14 PM UTC, Peter Parry wrote:

It didn't seem to be obvious, no spectators and no marshals in the
second clip. Why race on roads? "Training rides" and road racing
cause the death of numerous riders every year.


Rally? can you provide evidence to support this?

Roads are not for
racing, are there no suitable racing circuits?


So we should ban the London Marathon?


I suppose you think F1 drivers have to obey Monaco traffic laws.


Of course they do.


You really think drivers in the Monte Carlo GP should have to obey speed limits and stop at traffic lights and pedestrians should be free to cross the circuit at will?
How about following the 2 second rule for safe spacing between cars.


  #7  
Old March 15th 19, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,128
Default Pedestrian mows down cyclist

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 08:59:51 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester
wrote:

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 1:37:14 PM UTC, Peter Parry wrote:

It didn't seem to be obvious, no spectators and no marshals in the
second clip. Why race on roads? "Training rides" and road racing
cause the death of numerous riders every year.


Rally? can you provide evidence to support this?


There is a web site where the owner publishes the details of all the
cycling fatalities he can find in local and national papers to act as
a memorial to "cyclists down". He generally puts the cause of the
death, The last time I looked early last year over a third of cyclist
deaths occurred while they were on club rides, time trials, "training
rides or similar club or racing related activities.

Roads are not for
racing, are there no suitable racing circuits?


So we should ban the London Marathon?


Most athletics/running events take place on tracks, a very few on
roads. Cycle racing on the other hand takes place predominately on
open roads with inadequate controls and little or no marshalling and
hide under the name of "Time trialling".

I suppose you think F1 drivers have to obey Monaco traffic laws.


Of course they do.


You really think drivers in the Monte Carlo GP should have to obey speed limits and stop at traffic lights and pedestrians should be free to cross the circuit at will?
How about following the 2 second rule for safe spacing between cars.


They obey Monaco's traffic laws. What makes you think they don't?



  #8  
Old March 15th 19, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,014
Default Pedestrian mows down cyclist

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 10:03:54 PM UTC, Peter Parry wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 08:59:51 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester
wrote:

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 1:37:14 PM UTC, Peter Parry wrote:

It didn't seem to be obvious, no spectators and no marshals in the
second clip. Why race on roads? "Training rides" and road racing
cause the death of numerous riders every year.


Rally? can you provide evidence to support this?


There is a web site where the owner publishes the details of all the
cycling fatalities he can find in local and national papers to act as
a memorial to "cyclists down". He generally puts the cause of the
death, The last time I looked early last year over a third of cyclist
deaths occurred while they were on club rides, time trials, "training
rides or similar club or racing related activities.


So no evidence.


Roads are not for
racing, are there no suitable racing circuits?


So we should ban the London Marathon?


Most athletics/running events take place on tracks, a very few on
roads. Cycle racing on the other hand takes place predominately on
open roads with inadequate controls and little or no marshalling and
hide under the name of "Time trialling".


And we are back to the London marathon.
Do you want it banned? This is a simple yes or no question.


I suppose you think F1 drivers have to obey Monaco traffic laws.

Of course they do.


You really think drivers in the Monte Carlo GP should have to obey speed limits and stop at traffic lights and pedestrians should be free to cross the circuit at will?
How about following the 2 second rule for safe spacing between cars.


They obey Monaco's traffic laws. What makes you think they don't?


http://www.adcidl.com/Driving-in-Monaco.html
31mph speed limit and a warning triangle + hi vis vest must be carried.


  #9  
Old March 16th 19, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,467
Default Pedestrian mows down cyclist

On 15/03/2019 22:03, Peter Parry wrote:

There is a web site where the owner publishes the details of all the
cycling fatalities he can find in local and national papers to act as
a memorial to "cyclists down". He generally puts the cause of the
death, The last time I looked early last year over a third of cyclist
deaths occurred while they were on club rides, time trials, "training
rides or similar club or racing related activities.


In other words, a third occur at weekends. Which is 5/7ths of a week.

  #10  
Old March 16th 19, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,467
Default Pedestrian mows down cyclist

On 16/03/2019 00:11, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/03/2019 22:03, Peter Parry wrote:

There is a web site where the owner publishes the details of all the
cycling fatalities he can find in local and national papers to act as
a memorial to "cyclists down".* He generally puts the cause of the
death,* The last time I looked early last year over a third of cyclist
deaths occurred while they were on club rides, time trials, "training
rides or similar club or racing related activities.


In other words, a third occur at weekends. Which is 5/7ths of a week.


Err... 2/7ths of the week. I am sure you get the drift. Besides, a large
number of weekend rides "club rides" are purely social - essentially
rambling with bicycles. Your information is worthless.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pedestrian mows down cyclist. Simon Jester UK 2 June 3rd 18 09:21 PM
Cyclist mows down pedestrian, guess what happens next? MrCheerful UK 0 December 14th 17 09:27 AM
High speed cyclist mows down pedestrian Mrcheerful UK 3 July 1st 14 07:42 PM
Cyclist mows down pedestrian on a crossing Mrcheerful UK 2 April 25th 14 12:11 PM
Road race cyclist mows down a pedestrian Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 41 August 26th 12 10:47 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.