Bike projects while the weather's gross

Old March 15th 19, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Coddington

Default Bike projects while the weather's gross

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on March 29, 2019.

Who else is attempting something relatively pointless to while away the
time until the weather gets better? I've started to undertake my first
major bicycle project, converting my 9x2 geared bike to a single-speed
bike. It turns out I need a few more bike tools than I figured I would.
Who knew that chainring nuts require a special wrench? Well, now I know
that.

It's not as fun as actually riding a bike, but this project's been a
good way to await spring.

mofo at sdf.lonestar.org
"I'm like ice, buddy. If I don't like you, you've got problems!" --Kramer
Old March 16th 19, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 15:28:14 -0000 (UTC), Mike Coddington
wrote:

Who else is attempting something relatively pointless to while away the
time until the weather gets better? I've started to undertake my first
major bicycle project, converting my 9x2 geared bike to a single-speed
bike. It turns out I need a few more bike tools than I figured I would.
Who knew that chainring nuts require a special wrench? Well, now I know
that.

Special to the home craftsman perhaps but almost any "tool shop" will
carry them.
https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64.../dp/B002INV1TQ

It's not as fun as actually riding a bike, but this project's been a
good way to await spring.

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old March 16th 19, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

wrote:

Who else is attempting something relatively pointless to while away the
time until the weather gets better? I've started to undertake my first
major bicycle project, converting my 9x2 geared bike to a single-speed
bike. It turns out I need a few more bike tools than I figured I would.
Who knew that chainring nuts require a special wrench? Well, now I know
that.

It's not as fun as actually riding a bike, but this project's been a
good way to await spring.

I'm working on a new hot-weather jersey.

I'm also intending to put on four pairs of tights and ride to
Pierceton tomorrow. Rumor has it that there is a new snack shop on
main street.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old March 16th 19, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Who else is attempting something relatively pointless to while away the
time until the weather gets better? I've started to undertake my first
major bicycle project, converting my 9x2 geared bike to a single-speed
bike. It turns out I need a few more bike tools than I figured I would.
Who knew that chainring nuts require a special wrench? Well, now I know
that.

Special to the home craftsman perhaps but almost any "tool shop" will
carry them.
https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64.../dp/B002INV1TQ

I'm betting Mike was talking about something like this:
https://www.parktool.com/product/cha...t-wrench-cnw-2

I have one of those, but there are similar "special" tools that I've
made myself instead of buying. Not to save money, generally; just
because it was easier and faster to bang it out of metal instead of
finding one and/or waiting for it to arrive.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 16th 19, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/15/2019 11:28 AM, Mike Coddington wrote:
Who else is attempting something relatively pointless to while away the
time until the weather gets better? I've started to undertake my first
major bicycle project, converting my 9x2 geared bike to a single-speed
bike. It turns out I need a few more bike tools than I figured I would.
Who knew that chainring nuts require a special wrench? Well, now I know
that.

It's not as fun as actually riding a bike, but this project's been a
good way to await spring.

This winter's big project is non-bike related. It's completion of a
reflecting ceiling sundial. It's been a real education, and not quite
finished.

(I'd welcome tips on how to paint thin lines, maybe 1/8" wide, precisely
located, all over a ceiling. I've got them laid out in colored chalk.)

But in past winters, I've done things like your bike project. The
biggest was building up a new bike (almost) entirely from parts I had in
my junk boxes. But another was a collection of little detail
improvements to our folding bikes, like modifying the handlebar bags for
easy packing, shortening handlebars for more compact folding, improving
fender mounts, etc. etc.

I've sometimes kept running lists of such ideas during the riding
season, and done the accumulated tinkering once the weather got ugly.
But for me, the trick is to remember the idea once I get off the bike.
Kind of like the squeaks that go on for months: While riding, I _really_
want that squeak fixed. But once I get off the bike, it doesn't squeak,
so I forget it until the next ride.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 16th 19, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

I never had any problem with the slotted head" of the screw as they
always (for me) stay essentially stationary. It was the 12 point
internal wrenching end that gave the problem. Initially I thought that
it was a special bicycle bolt but after visiting my local tool shop
realized that it was just another type of bolt and bought a set of 12
point wrenches all mounted in a small plastic strip, like a set of
Allan wrenches. I don't remember the price but it certainly wasn't
enough to make one shudder.

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old March 16th 19, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 15:48:03 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/15/2019 11:28 AM, Mike Coddington wrote:
Who else is attempting something relatively pointless to while away the
time until the weather gets better? I've started to undertake my first
major bicycle project, converting my 9x2 geared bike to a single-speed
bike. It turns out I need a few more bike tools than I figured I would.
Who knew that chainring nuts require a special wrench? Well, now I know
that.

It's not as fun as actually riding a bike, but this project's been a
good way to await spring.

This winter's big project is non-bike related. It's completion of a
reflecting ceiling sundial. It's been a real education, and not quite
finished.

(I'd welcome tips on how to paint thin lines, maybe 1/8" wide, precisely
located, all over a ceiling. I've got them laid out in colored chalk.)

You can buy very narrow colored tape that is called something like
"pin stripping tape" that might work.

But in past winters, I've done things like your bike project. The
biggest was building up a new bike (almost) entirely from parts I had in
my junk boxes. But another was a collection of little detail
improvements to our folding bikes, like modifying the handlebar bags for
easy packing, shortening handlebars for more compact folding, improving
fender mounts, etc. etc.

I've sometimes kept running lists of such ideas during the riding
season, and done the accumulated tinkering once the weather got ugly.
But for me, the trick is to remember the idea once I get off the bike.
Kind of like the squeaks that go on for months: While riding, I _really_
want that squeak fixed. But once I get off the bike, it doesn't squeak,
so I forget it until the next ride.

Get a clip board and hang it up somewhere that you can see it easily.
then every time you have an idea just write it down :-)

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old March 17th 19, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

wrote:

(I'd welcome tips on how to paint thin lines, maybe 1/8" wide, precisely
located, all over a ceiling. I've got them laid out in colored chalk.)

Back when cut-and-paste was done with scissors and rubber cement, the
stores where I bought my editing supplies sold lines of various widths
and styles on narrow transparent tape.

I think it was called "rule tape".

Old March 18th 19, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Coddington

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on April 1, 2019.

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 15:39:51 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/15/2019 7:59 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

I'm betting Mike was talking about something like this:
https://www.parktool.com/product/cha...t-wrench-cnw-2

I have one of those, but there are similar "special" tools that I've
made myself instead of buying. Not to save money, generally; just
because it was easier and faster to bang it out of metal instead of
finding one and/or waiting for it to arrive.

You are correct, that's what I picked up. I was trying to make it work
with a flat-head screwdriver and an Allen wrench, but I didn't have
quite the right size screwdriver to get the job done. I was getting
close but no cigar. Once I realized I'd have to remove five of these
bolts I caved and bought the tool. My preferred bike shop didn't have
the tool in stock, so I'm waiting for REI to deliver. It's been tough
waiting around, but them's the breaks.

mofo at sdf.lonestar.org
"I'm like ice, buddy. If I don't like you, you've got problems!" --Kramer
Old March 18th 19, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Coddington

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on April 1, 2019.

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 15:48:03 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I've sometimes kept running lists of such ideas during the riding
season, and done the accumulated tinkering once the weather got ugly.
But for me, the trick is to remember the idea once I get off the bike.
Kind of like the squeaks that go on for months: While riding, I _really_
want that squeak fixed. But once I get off the bike, it doesn't squeak,
so I forget it until the next ride.

I finally got the chance to go on my first spring ride this past
weekend, and it's funny how easily your brain ignores the little things
that get annoying over a year's worth of riding. I had some drivetrain
problems but all I really remember from the ride is how ridiculously fun
it was!

mofo at sdf.lonestar.org
"I'm like ice, buddy. If I don't like you, you've got problems!" --Kramer

Bike Projects, Project Bikes Chris M Techniques 7 June 19th 11 05:39 AM
Car free projects. Doug[_3_] UK 10 February 18th 10 10:22 AM
Google Maps "bike there" petition -- data collection projects in VA? Matt O'Toole General 0 March 9th 08 08:44 AM
Big Vid Projects? unifreak7 Unicycling 14 March 22nd 07 02:53 AM
Summer projects Bob Flemming UK 2 August 15th 03 11:15 AM