Drunk and careless cycling

Old November 17th 11, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default Drunk and careless cycling

An all too seldom case.
"cyclist who was drunk when he careered into a car and ripped off part of
his ear has been prosecuted for riding a pedal cycle whilst unfit"

I suppose it was actually all the car driver's fault for being in the way.

http://www.yeovilpeople.co.uk/Fine-d...ail/story.html

Old November 17th 11, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 21:24:19 -0000, "Mrcheerful" wrote:

An all too seldom case.
"cyclist who was drunk when he careered into a car and ripped off part of
his ear has been prosecuted for riding a pedal cycle whilst unfit"

I suppose it was actually all the car driver's fault for being in the way.

http://www.yeovilpeople.co.uk/Fine-d...ail/story.html

"pleaded guilty to riding a pedal cycle whilst unfit to drive through drink "

No, no, no - there is no such law - Mason and Crispin keep telling is that that
is the case, and you can ride whilst ****ed with no problem.

Old November 18th 11, 07:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 22:52:36 +0000, Judith
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 21:24:19 -0000, "Mrcheerful" wrote:

An all too seldom case.
"cyclist who was drunk when he careered into a car and ripped off part of
his ear has been prosecuted for riding a pedal cycle whilst unfit"

I suppose it was actually all the car driver's fault for being in the way.

http://www.yeovilpeople.co.uk/Fine-d...ail/story.html

"pleaded guilty to riding a pedal cycle whilst unfit to drive through drink "

No, no, no - there is no such law - Mason and Crispin keep telling is that that
is the case, and you can ride whilst ****ed with no problem.

Message ID of where I have said that?

What I have said is that twice I have been unsuccessfully prosecuted
for "drunk cycling". And I have also correctly stated that the alcohol
in blood limits for driving do not apply to cycling.

NEVER have I stated that cycling while drunk is a problem (either
legally or physically).

However, my own personal experience is that if a person is capable of
cycling a bike competently, then they will not be found guilty of
"drunk cycling".
Old November 18th 11, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

On Nov 18, 7:31 am, Bertie Wooster wrote:

What I have said is that twice I have been unsuccessfully prosecuted
for "drunk cycling". And I have also correctly stated that the alcohol
in blood limits for driving do not apply to cycling.

NEVER have I stated that cycling while drunk is a problem (either
legally or physically).

However, my own personal experience is that if a person is capable of
cycling a bike competently, then they will not be found guilty of
"drunk cycling".

Yes, that notion of drunken cycling was thrown out of court as a non
sequitor.
The only recent problems have been when plod had overstepped their powers
and breathalysed riders of electric bikes which they were not entitled to.

--
Simon Mason

Old November 19th 11, 12:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

http://www.yeovilpeople.co.uk/Fine-d...ar-collision/s....

"pleaded guilty to riding a pedal cycle whilst unfit to drive through drink "

No, no, no - there is no such law - Mason and Crispin keep telling is that that
is the case, and you can ride whilst ****ed with no problem.

Message ID of where I have said that?

What I have said is that twice I have been unsuccessfully prosecuted
for "drunk cycling". And I have also correctly stated that the alcohol
in blood limits for driving do not apply to cycling.

NEVER have I stated that cycling while drunk is a problem (either
legally or physically).

However, my own personal experience is that if a person is capable of
cycling a bike competently, then they will not be found guilty of
"drunk cycling".

To get back from the pub after succesful inebriation, use a chauffer
(taxi), omnibus (sometimes called a big taxi), horse (possibly only
worth keeping if you get sozzled on a daily basis) or a single speed
tricycle (you wont manage much over walking pace anyway). If you opt
for the trike, remember you'll need a dead mans handle for the brake
if there are any hills. Make sure your lamp batteries will last till
dawn in case you fall asleep on the job. An automatic guidance system
following the road edging line should prove invaluable.
Old November 19th 11, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 19, 12:49*am, thirty-six wrote:

However, my own personal experience is that if a person is capable of
cycling a bike competently, then they will not be found guilty of
"drunk cycling".

To get back from the pub after succesful inebriation, use a chauffer
(taxi), omnibus (sometimes called a big taxi), horse (possibly only
worth keeping if you get sozzled on a daily basis)

Someone was done recently for being in charge of a horse and cart when
he was coming back from a boozy Gypsy wedding.

--
Simon Mason
Old November 19th 11, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 19/11/2011 06:52, Simon Mason wrote:
On Nov 19, 12:49 am, wrote:

However, my own personal experience is that if a person is capable of
cycling a bike competently, then they will not be found guilty of
"drunk cycling".

To get back from the pub after succesful inebriation, use a chauffer
(taxi), omnibus (sometimes called a big taxi), horse (possibly only
worth keeping if you get sozzled on a daily basis)

Someone was done recently for being in charge of a horse and cart when
he was coming back from a boozy Gypsy wedding.

There's no offence of being in charge of a horse and cart, no matter where
one is "coming back from".
Old November 19th 11, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 19, 12:49*am, thirty-six wrote:

However, my own personal experience is that if a person is capable of
cycling a bike competently, then they will not be found guilty of
"drunk cycling".

To get back from the pub after succesful inebriation, use a chauffer
(taxi), omnibus (sometimes called a big taxi), horse (possibly only
worth keeping if you get sozzled on a daily basis)

It has taken a lot of searching but I finally found the link to the
drunk in charge of a horse story.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/...orse_1_3659981

--
Simon Mason
Old November 19th 11, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 22:52:52 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Nov 19, 12:49*am, thirty-six wrote:

However, my own personal experience is that if a person is capable of
cycling a bike competently, then they will not be found guilty of
"drunk cycling".

To get back from the pub after succesful inebriation, use a chauffer
(taxi), omnibus (sometimes called a big taxi), horse (possibly only
worth keeping if you get sozzled on a daily basis)

Someone was done recently for being in charge of a horse and cart when
he was coming back from a boozy Gypsy wedding.

Ah - yes. The joys of living in Hull

--
"You get a real feeling of elation just for the simple act of cycling past the local hospital
where there are people of my age who have abused their bodies and suffered all sorts of ailments"

Simon Mason
Old November 19th 11, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 19, 10:35*am, Simon Mason wrote:
On Nov 19, 12:49*am, thirty-six wrote:

However, my own personal experience is that if a person is capable of
cycling a bike competently, then they will not be found guilty of
"drunk cycling".

To get back from the pub after succesful inebriation, use a chauffer
(taxi), omnibus (sometimes called a big taxi), horse (possibly only
worth keeping if you get sozzled on a daily basis)

It has taken a lot of searching but I finally found the link to the
drunk in charge of a horse story.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/...orse_1_3659981

--

There's another case with a drunken man riding on a horse as opposed
to driving a horse and cart.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7861406.stm

--
Simon Mason

Careless cycling Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 17 October 29th 11 05:40 PM
Great Cycling Advocate Killed by repeat Drunk Driver mrbubl General 50 October 6th 03 05:38 PM
Great Cycling Advocate Killed by repeat Drunk Driver mrbubl Social Issues 40 October 4th 03 07:48 AM
Great Cycling Advocate Killed by repeat Drunk Driver Robert Haston Recumbent Biking 44 October 4th 03 07:48 AM
Great Cycling Advocate Killed by repeat Drunk Driver mrbubl Rides 40 October 4th 03 07:48 AM