How Do These Airborne Specs Look?

Old July 25th 05, 06:29 AM
NYC XYZ

Default How Do These Airborne Specs Look?

Au contraire -- I didn't even notice the wheels, as exclaimed in my
posts. Now that I'm counting the spokes, I'm like, huh?!

I don't get it...who the hell are these bike companies building for
anyway? I expect something like Huffy to get into gimmicks, but
Specialized and Trek, too???

Jasper Janssen wrote:

Because it sells. It looks cool, it weighs nothing, and it looks expensive
-- we all saw *you* were impressed by them, at least at first. Whether
something will last 3 months or 30 years is not something you can usually
see in a shopfront window, so people don't even think about that.

Jasper

Old July 25th 05, 01:21 PM
David Kerber

In article .com,
says...

Rich Clark wrote:

One is a flat bar bike, the other is a drop bar bike. They are not
comparable. If you don't know whether you're in the market for one or the
other, you shouldn't be considering either one.

I prefer the more upright one (flatbar), but I'm thinking its
components may be less than desirable, since it's a titanium frame
selling for the same as the aluminum one which the same manufacturer is
claiming to be spec'ed-out nicely (which may well be true since it
actually weighs in slightly less than the ti!).

The Ti has a 105/Deore mix, which is fine if you don't need the lightest
possible setup, but it is still perfectly functional. My Tourer came
with a Tiagra/Deore mix, and I love it. About 5k miles on it in 2
years.

I can attest to the quality and overall wonderfulness of the Airborne Carpe
Diem I bought four years ago, FWIW. It's still my #1 bike, with somewhere
around 14k miles on it.

RichC

Yes, I know Airborne has a good reputation in general...just wondering
about these particular models.

Are titanium frames stronger than aluminum ones, typically? Lighter,
more flexible or less? Etc.

It all depends on the design criteria, but the Ti is *probably* more
flexible. It will certainly be more corrosion-resistent, though, which
would be a strong point in its favor if you ride all year round in an
area that has a real winter (like me). If you're in Phoenix, though, it
wouldn't matter at all.

newsgroups if possible).
Old July 25th 05, 01:33 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

threefire wrote:
You must be joking. You think economically sanctioning a country will
help improve its human rights? You think the ruler rather than the
regular people are going to suffer more from a poor economy? The
"enemy" thing is nothing more than a fear out of ignorance. When was
the last time China was of any real and actual threat to the US?

Try this on. It is an obvious and well published fact that the Chinese
are building their military for a future invasion of Tiawan, no doubt
about it. When they do, then it will be interesting to see what the US
and others, like Japan, who will also be threatened, will do. Is China
a threat to attack the US? Of course not, not any more than the former
Soviet Union was. But USSR was a threat to the economic center of
Europe and China is a threat to the economic strength of Asia, and
hence a threat to Europe and the US. To ignore this is foolhardy.

How
many of the claims you made were from first hand experience instead of
politically motivated propaganda (you believe everything said on TV?
they also say you can lose 70 pounds in a month on TV)? The human
rights violation theory is way overrated. It's in many people's
interests to exaggerate these things.

Besides, half of the goods sold in this country are made in China. You
better stop buying anything now.

Gooserider wrote:
Airborne is fine, if you don't mind buying a Chinese bicycle. I don't
support communist dictatorships. I own three Taiwanese bikes, and an
American bike. The American bike is head and shoulders above the
Taiwanese quality wise, but it was far more expensive, too. I wouldn't
buy the Airborne, but that's purely on an ethical level. I'm sure the
quality is fine.

I don't mind buying Chinese bikes, I have three of them from this
manufacturer. Whether a dictatorship is communist or capitalist is all the
same to me.
My titanium mountain bike has taken a pounding and is still going strong.

The problem with buying Chinese goods is the very real possibility that
doing so supports our enemy.War with China over Taiwan is not out of the
question. The Chinese have a horrible human rights record, you know. People
there are routinely put in re-education camps, undergo forced sterilization,
are placed in forced labor camps, and face other such horrible acts. Every
dollar you spend on Chinese goods goes to strengthen them both economically
and militarily. I would no more buy Chinese goods than I would buy conflict
diamonds.

Old July 25th 05, 02:09 PM
David Damerell

Quoting NYC XYZ :
Hmmm...I thought it had to do with the mechanics of the pull of the
cable...a V-brake seems more powerful, from a mechanical POV, than a
cantilever...I can't quite imagine in my mind's eye the same difference
between a V-brake and caliper brakes operationally, but I have heard
that V-brakes are second only to disc brakes.

You might hear a lot of things.

On a single bike, any brake of sensible design, not abysmally low quality,
competently installed and adjusted, will lock the rear wheel (rear brake)
or lift it (front brake).

You cannot have more braking than that, so the theoretical brake "power"
(which tandems find out, with surprising results) is quite irrelevant.
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is Gaiman, July - a public holiday.
Old July 25th 05, 02:31 PM
Mark Hickey

David Damerell wrote:

Quoting NYC XYZ :
Hmmm...I thought it had to do with the mechanics of the pull of the
cable...a V-brake seems more powerful, from a mechanical POV, than a
cantilever...I can't quite imagine in my mind's eye the same difference
between a V-brake and caliper brakes operationally, but I have heard
that V-brakes are second only to disc brakes.

You might hear a lot of things.

On a single bike, any brake of sensible design, not abysmally low quality,
competently installed and adjusted, will lock the rear wheel (rear brake)
or lift it (front brake).

You cannot have more braking than that, so the theoretical brake "power"
(which tandems find out, with surprising results) is quite irrelevant.

An interesting (to me, at least...) data point is that I designed my
new tandem around regular road caliper brakes, never having been
really happy with the performance of canti brakes on my previous
tandem. The stopping ability of the new tandem is considerably better
than the canti brakes (and presumably better than V-brakes with cable
pull adapters would be).

David's right - there's no braking test platform better than a tandem.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old July 25th 05, 02:52 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

I submit that on or about Mon, 25 Jul 2005 06:31:00 -0700, the person
known to the court as Mark Hickey made a
statement in Your
Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

there's no braking test platform better than a tandem.

A fast recumbent isn't bad either.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old July 25th 05, 04:00 PM
David Damerell

Quoting Mark Hickey :
David Damerell wrote:
You cannot have more braking than that, so the theoretical brake "power"
(which tandems find out, with surprising results) is quite irrelevant.

An interesting (to me, at least...) data point is that I designed my
new tandem around regular road caliper brakes, never having been
really happy with the performance of canti brakes on my previous
tandem.

Certainly plain ordinary calipers can work just fine, but did you try
fiddling with the straddle cable? I've got it as high as will just permit
me to bottom out the lever (higher, and you're just getting lower
mechanical advantage; lower, and the input force is lower, as I'm sure you
know) with maximum grip, and the front brake is certainly good enough to
produce an alarming DOING sensation from the front fork...

[The back brake's a Suntour self-energiser, so I've no idea how well a
conventional canti works on a tandem.]
Old July 25th 05, 05:32 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article .com,
says...

Actually, they're $1,200 -- hot deal?

Sounds like an ok deal to me.

And how's this seat?

http://pedalpusherbikeshop.com/site/...og=39&sort=3rd
character

Price is high for a saddle that is not special in any way.
Alex

How Do These Airborne Specs Look? NYC XYZ General 160 July 28th 05 01:53 PM
Need torque specs for Easton EA70 stem GT Techniques 1 May 30th 05 06:18 PM
Where can I find torque specs for Easton EC90 Equipe? GT Techniques 2 May 29th 05 11:05 PM
Prescription Lens Sun Specs Roger UK 19 March 18th 04 07:39 PM
specs for a 1990 Bridgestone MB-5 fork? Kevin Gammon Mountain Biking 1 July 28th 03 05:20 PM