What's a good quality carbon fork?

Old August 16th 03, 12:00 AM

Default What's a good quality carbon fork?

I may be interested in changing forks to a Carbon Fork. I have a 1990 or
89 model (CRMO) Masi Nuova Strada. I am torn between a better ride
and/or a seemingly correct, classic (but HEAVY and chromed) nice ride.

I will always have the fork if I want to go back to original, I know.
Also, the weight saved will probably be substantial (a couple of lbs).

I would like to use a Fork that is good quality, but I know nothing
about the newer carbon forks out there.

Any help and opinions would be appreciated.

TIA,
NS

Old August 16th 03, 02:32 AM
ari

can't go wrong with alpha-q
http://www.truetemper.com/Performanc...ng/alphaq.html

Old August 16th 03, 03:36 AM
one of the six billion

"NS" wrote in message
I may be interested in changing forks to a Carbon Fork. I have a 1990 or
89 model (CRMO) Masi Nuova Strada. I am torn between a better ride
and/or a seemingly correct, classic (but HEAVY and chromed) nice ride.

I will always have the fork if I want to go back to original, I know.
Also, the weight saved will probably be substantial (a couple of lbs).

I would like to use a Fork that is good quality, but I know nothing
about the newer carbon forks out there.

Any help and opinions would be appreciated.

Personally for myself, I wouldn't change the fork out on that bike. I
can't tell the difference in climbing performance or effort between my 20
lb bike with a carbon fork and my 22 lb 1986 steel bike with chromed steel
fork.

Old August 16th 03, 04:15 AM
Saltytri

Yes, you can go wrong with an Alpha-Q. I bought one from a reliable net
source. It had four visible manufacturing defects:

1. a void in the laminate on the crown

2. the metal sleeve for the brake shaft wasn't properly seated

3. the laminate was rough and uneven at the base of the steerer tube where it
meets the crown - not just a little but visibly ugly

4. the metal ring on the steerer that takes the heaset bearing race was out of
round by several thousanths and the race couldn't be pressed on

True Temper customer service was downright snotty and didn't want to hear from
me. I admit that one bad fork shouldn't be enough to condemn the whole company
or the Alpha-Q line. Everyone is entitled to a screwup now and then but the
true measure of a company is how they react to their mistakes. True Temper
failed that test. I decided to risk my life to a product that is well
supported. Reynolds has been great to deal with in the past, so I opted for an
Ouzo Pro. Fortunately, the retailer was good as gold and sent me the Ouzo in
exchange. YMMV

Old August 16th 03, 04:28 AM
Lee

"Paul Southworth" wrote in message
In article 5Cd%a.123584$Oz4.25032@rwcrnsc54,
NS wrote:
I may be interested in changing forks to a Carbon Fork. I have a 1990 or
89 model (CRMO) Masi Nuova Strada. I am torn between a better ride
and/or a seemingly correct, classic (but HEAVY and chromed) nice ride.

I will always have the fork if I want to go back to original, I know.
Also, the weight saved will probably be substantial (a couple of lbs).

I would like to use a Fork that is good quality, but I know nothing
about the newer carbon forks out there.

Most of the major brands of after-market carbon forks (Reynolds,
Wound Up, Look, Easton, Time, Kestrel, True Temper, I'm probably
forgetting some) make a fork that is good for some purpose, whether
it's good for you depends on the details, if you want a threaded
or threadless fork, how stiff a fork you want, desired geometry,
weight, price, etc.

Go threadless if you want maximum weight savings.

A lot of people would say you're nuts by the way, since that is
what I would call a "fine bicycle", plus it won't ever be really
light with any fork, and won't have significantly better ride with
a carbon fork. I suspect history will judge this like 1970's kitchen
remodeling. :-)

I ride a classic Colnago Spiral Conic SLX with a Time Carbon fork. The fork
has some rake, and the carbon fiber kinda matches the dark blue frame color
with black lettering (the frame was professionally repainted, but not in a
Colnago paint scheme.)

I never rode the bike with the original steel fork, so I don't know what I'm
missing...but the Columbus tubing with the CF front end makes for a sweet
riding bike.

I'm now building up a Colnago Crystal with a Colnago CF fork.On this more
recent bike, I don't mind the straight fork blades.

Of course, my next bike *should* be a C40. Pre B stay, please, 52cm in blue.
I'll let you know how I like it

Lee

Old August 17th 03, 12:26 AM
RoyG

Consider replacing the steel fork with a threaded Kestrel EMS Pro carbon
fork of the correct length - Nashbar currently has them in several lengths
for the bargain price of $130

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...1121&sku= 196
9&storetype=&estoreid=

These are excellent forks - was an excellent match with my Columbus Genius
frame. By staying with a threaded fork, you can use your existing headset
and stem.

Old August 17th 03, 03:30 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:20:25 +0000, KBH wrote:

Forks shouldn't be treated as a component, but part of the frame.

Why?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
_`\(,_ | business.
(_)/ (_) |

Old August 17th 03, 02:03 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

NS- I may be interested in changing forks to a Carbon Fork. I have a 1990 or
89 model (CRMO) Masi Nuova Strada. I am torn between a better ride
and/or a seemingly correct, classic (but HEAVY and chromed) nice ride.
BRBR

You will save maybe a pound on your rig with a carbon fork./stem/HS combo....so
if you are a pretty standard 180 pounds or so...about 1% of the bike/rider
weight...for about $500....

Hard to beat the ride of a nice steel fork and the weight 'penalty' is small if
not non-existent..besides, I hear your Masi crying from here everytime you
mention a carbon fork to it...

Also, the weight saved will probably be substantial (a couple of lbs).
BRBR

Even at 2 pounds, it won't be 'substantial' but it will be about 1 pound.

Reynolds Ouzo Pro if ya gotta do it....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 17th 03, 02:07 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

nospam- Of course, my next bike *should* be a C40. Pre B stay, please, 52cm
in blue.
I'll let you know how I like it BRBR

If you want the ride, construction methods, better warranty and ti bits on a
C-40-esque carbon frameset, look at Calfee Luna, and save about $2000...

OBTW-C-50 for 2004....1 1/8 inch HS(Ernesto probably doesn't remember when he
said 'no 1 1/8inch HS!!!!' at Interbike)...bring yer wallet, it's a gonna be
expensive(about $4500-$4700)...And still made like $1300 Luna-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302