Brompton - Panniers

Old January 30th 05, 08:47 PM
Richard Bates

Default Brompton - Panniers

I'm presuming that large rear panniers are a no-no on a Brompton?

What about front panniers used on the rear - will they have sufficient
ground clearance?

Is the luggage rack even a suitable design for panniers, or is it only
designed as a platform for a rackpack?

(I'm aware that rear panniers will affect the folding).

Thanks.

Old January 30th 05, 10:28 PM
Tony Finch

Richard Bates wrote:
I'm presuming that large rear panniers are a no-no on a Brompton?
What about front panniers used on the rear - will they have sufficient
ground clearance?

I don't think you can use any kind of wheel-side pannier on the Brompton.
There are plenty of bags that will fit on the rack.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch http://dotat.at/
VIKING NORTH UTSIRE SOUTH UTSIRE FORTIES: NORTHWEST 6 TO GALE 8, DECREASING 5
Old January 30th 05, 11:04 PM
insert

Tony Finch wrote in
news
Richard Bates wrote:
I'm presuming that large rear panniers are a no-no on a Brompton?
What about front panniers used on the rear - will they have sufficient
ground clearance?

I don't think you can use any kind of wheel-side pannier on the Brompton.
There are plenty of bags that will fit on the rack.

I've seen someone on a Brompton around Norwich more than once with two
small rear panniers. He's always going the other way so I haven't managed
to ask him about them. Maybe he has unusally small feet....

John.
Old January 30th 05, 11:37 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

insert typed

Tony Finch wrote in
news

Richard Bates wrote:
I'm presuming that large rear panniers are a no-no on a Brompton?
What about front panniers used on the rear - will they have sufficient
ground clearance?

I don't think you can use any kind of wheel-side pannier on the Brompton.
There are plenty of bags that will fit on the rack.

I've seen someone on a Brompton around Norwich more than once with two
small rear panniers. He's always going the other way so I haven't managed
to ask him about them. Maybe he has unusally small feet....

John.

I have used small Karrimor panniers on a Brompton. I think these were
the sort with an elasticated hook at the bottom and I think I had to
mount these the other way up.

It is possible, with care.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 31st 05, 09:56 AM
Peter Clinch

Richard Bates wrote:
I'm presuming that large rear panniers are a no-no on a Brompton?

Large ones, yes, unless you don't mind scraping off the bottoms on the
road and leaving the contents behind...

But have you got the touring pannier for the front yet? That's a pretty
big bag, and Bromton's own pannier mount is a really good, working design.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old January 31st 05, 10:03 AM
David Hansen

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:47:51 +0000 someone who may be Richard Bates
wrote this:-

What about front panniers used on the rear - will they have sufficient
ground clearance?

As others have said, some can be fitted. The main problems are heel
clearance and how to fit them.

Far better to use the Brompton front luggage and if you want more
space a bag on the rack. A smallish rucksack can be fitted so ut
rests on the rack and is also attached to the seat.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old January 31st 05, 11:51 AM
tomjw

I have 50 litre panniers (pair) on my other bike and I reckon the front
pannier on my Brompton probably has the same or possibly more capacity.
It is very well designed.

--
tomjw

Old January 31st 05, 02:06 PM
Ian Jelf

In message , David Hansen
writes
Far better to use the Brompton front luggage and if you want more space
a bag on the rack.

Without wishing to sound too my like one of those "met too"! Posting,
this is very much my experience, with my Brompton, too. The front
pannier is surprisingly large and - although a bit difficult to get used
to at first regarding steering, soon feels "right".

Although pricey, Brompton's luggage "collection" really is very good
indeed.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old January 31st 05, 02:27 PM
Peter Clinch

Ian Jelf wrote:

The front
pannier is surprisingly large and - although a bit difficult to get used
to at first regarding steering, soon feels "right".

There are two front panniers available, the standard and "touring". The
standard is a good size for day to day jobs, but you'd want the touring
one for, errr, touring.

I use the standard one, and find it only dents the steering at all if
it's full to the brim of heavy stuff. Good size can of paint and two
bottles of wine weren't enough to keep me off a former railway line
coming home on Saturday.

Although pricey, Brompton's luggage "collection" really is very good
indeed.

It's made by Carradice, so that speaks for the quality of build, but
it's the design where it really scores, being easier to mount and
dismount than most panniers. Being carried on the frame, rather than
the bars, means the steering effect is less than well-laden bar bags.

Pete.

Old January 31st 05, 04:54 PM
Richard Bates

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:56:19 +0000, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Richard Bates wrote:
I'm presuming that large rear panniers are a no-no on a Brompton?

Large ones, yes, unless you don't mind scraping off the bottoms on the
road and leaving the contents behind...

But have you got the touring pannier for the front yet? That's a pretty
big bag, and Bromton's own pannier mount is a really good, working design.

No, I don't even own a folding bike yet. Luggage carrying capability
is one of the deciding factors.

Brompton confusion Colin Blackburn UK 1 November 22nd 04 12:08 PM
Brompton Exclusivity Principle. Colin Blackburn UK 8 February 3rd 04 10:06 PM
Karrimor EH20 Waterproof Panniers - Global Sarennah UK 3 January 15th 04 05:40 PM
Thinking of getting a Brompton... Pyromancer UK 10 July 25th 03 09:33 AM