Royal Mail - Bikes2Work

Old April 30th 05, 09:58 AM
Michael MacClancy

Default Royal Mail - Bikes2Work

Futuremedia plc to Launch 'Bikes2Work' With Royal Mail for 190,000 Eligible
Employees
Thursday April 28, 12:28 pm ET

BRIGHTON, England, April 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Futuremedia plc
(Nasdaq: FMDAY - News), a leading European e-learning content and benefits
services provider, today announced it has signed an agreement with Royal
Mail Group plc, the UK's postal authority, to make bicycles available to
all of Royal Mail Group plc's 190,000 eligible employees under the UK
government's expanded Green Travel Plan program.

Mo

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050428/nyth178.html?.v=4
--
Michael MacClancy
Old May 1st 05, 01:54 AM
Marianne Promberger

Michael MacClancy ) wrote:
: Futuremedia plc to Launch 'Bikes2Work' With Royal Mail for 190,000 Eligible
: Employees
: Thursday April 28, 12:28 pm ET

: BRIGHTON, England, April 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Futuremedia plc
: (Nasdaq: FMDAY - News), a leading European e-learning content and benefits
: services provider, today announced it has signed an agreement with Royal
: Mail Group plc, the UK's postal authority, to make bicycles available to
: all of Royal Mail Group plc's 190,000 eligible employees under the UK
: government's expanded Green Travel Plan program.

: Mo

: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050428/nyth178.html?.v=4

Am I missing something? Why for four weeks only? What good is that
supposed to do? Most Royal Mail employees will probably take two weeks to
even develop the intention to cycle-commute, and then we are not even
speaking of figuring out the route. What about showers/opportunities to
change clothes at work?

Then rented bicycles ... how many people who have not been riding
bicycles for a long time will end up with an ill-fitted bicycle, with a
gear system they don't like, with a saddle that is quite literally a pain
in the a**?

While this is certainly a good signal, it seems that this may well
backfire, and that it totally lacks any long-term plans.

Anyone have thoughts about what I may be missing here?

Marianne
Old May 1st 05, 08:44 AM
PeteC

Marianne Promberger wrote:
Am I missing something? Why for four weeks only? What good is that
supposed to do? Most Royal Mail employees will probably take two
weeks to even develop the intention to cycle-commute, and then we are
not even speaking of figuring out the route. What about
showers/opportunities to change clothes at work?

Then rented bicycles ... how many people who have not been riding
bicycles for a long time will end up with an ill-fitted bicycle, with
a gear system they don't like, with a saddle that is quite literally
a pain in the a**?

While this is certainly a good signal, it seems that this may well
backfire, and that it totally lacks any long-term plans.

Anyone have thoughts about what I may be missing here?

You assume that this sort of press release is intended to provide a benefit
to the employees.

It isn't - it's intended only to give good press coverage to the two
companies involved, and make you think that they are all touchy-feely and
nice. It will get them coverage in the papers, then be forgotten - probably
long before the four weeks is up, but it will have done its job. Actual
take-up of the offer will be quite low, because they don't want it to be too
popular with the staff; otherwise they'll end up having to provide parking,
showers etc.

Pete.

Old May 1st 05, 05:18 PM
Marianne Promberger

:
[...]

Well, must have been my own naivete then that I was missing ...

m.

" Royal Mail swaps bikes for guns" Call me Bob UK 3 January 4th 05 11:18 AM
Royal Riders one wheeled stallion Unicycling 18 March 15th 04 07:28 AM
Royal Mail Strike Again iarocu UK 40 December 17th 03 04:27 PM
Buying mail order from Italy Me UK 15 December 7th 03 07:41 PM
Royal Riders 1st Movie Uni_Yetti Unicycling 30 December 7th 03 05:45 PM