Bicycle bottle diameters, why different?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 21st 18, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Bicycle bottle diameters, why different?

On 2018-03-20 15:54, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2018 3:18 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

The question is, how do you know if a bottle is proper when buying one
online?

Stansport is primarly a camping equipment company. Buy from a supplier
of bicycle equipment.

But is sez "bike bottle" ...

https://www.stansport.com/bike-bottle-26-oz-214-26

I guess they need to learn and test their designs before release.

I like the Clean Designs bottle https://www.cleanbottle.com/

30 bucks, yikes. I like their bottom screw lid though. Thanks, will look
for that brand then.

Hmmmm. I wonder where you could buy a water bottle? https://tinyurl.com/y9zbb7fg

I wrote that I have a source for fitting bottles, I could just buy more
from Cal Gear because they fit like a glove.

The reason for my post was to find out why there isn't a real standard.
Like there is for wheel diameters, tires (well, maybe with the exception
of some Contis). I guess nobody knows.

There is a standard -- 73mm. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_cage You bought a ****ty water bottle from an outdoor equipment company that probably drew a bottle on the back of napkin, gave it to some OE plastic bottle manufacturer in PRC and then marketed the results as a bicycle water bottle. Its like complaining about Walmart bikes. I wouldn't be surprised if the bottle is radioactive and full of carcinogens.

What's more surprising to me is that your cages cannot accommodate a 1mm variance. You need better cages. You can also avoid the whole issue by going over to your lauded trail-end bike shop, Sam's Town Cyclery, and buying bottles that you know will fit. Fly the colors! Support your LBS.

-- Jay Beattie.