Question on a fixed/fixed track wheel

Old December 20th 05, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Question on a fixed/fixed track wheel

I wanted a wheel strong enough for messenger work (I weigh 175, very
clumsy) and light enough for racing. I purchased a 36 hole phil wood
120mm fixed/fixed hub, an open pro, and had it laced up 3x stainless
db spokes, brass nipples. With the wheel in the frame so the Phil logo
is right side up, the pulling/trailing/whatever spokes are elbows in
(running along the inside of the flange.) With the Phil upside-down
the pulling/trailing/whatever spokes are elbows out.

One side of the hub will take a 17t cog for everyday use, the other a
15 for rare trips to the track. The 17t side will probably see more
strain in both directions (larger cog, slowing down, skids, skips)
while the 15t cog will see less action and strain in only one direction
(no hard slowing down.) Chainline is good, drivetrain in good shape,
the chain will not throw into the spokes. I am trying to decide which
cog to put on which side of the hub. I realize it probably does not
matter, but I want to know anyways. Any help?
-james

Old December 20th 05, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I think that most fixed riders of Phil's like to see the name while
sitting on the bike and looking down on the front hub rather than
having the name reversed. The same would also apply to the rear for
symetrical appearance. So that would be my take on it. There is
probably no Law about it though. Just make the front and rear match
when using the rear on it's most used side.

Old December 21st 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Now you're talking REAL class he- :-)

" Is the Phil name visible thru the valve stem hole? "

Lewis.

Old December 22nd 05, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

yeah, logo is lined up with the valve hole, the one "classy" thing on
my otherwise crappy bike. No more locking this thing up outside the
bar all night.