Plan B (does not necessarily exclude Plan A)

Old March 19th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Plan B (does not necessarily exclude Plan A)

Plan B would be to get a commuter bike to ride at least in the winter,
and to use for errands. Commuting distance combined with a shopping stop
would be 8 miles or less.

Requirements a

A. Heavy duty frame - should be able to handle 120 kgf of rider and
cargo on less than ideal roads. Rigid fork hard-tail required.
B. Corrosion resistant - a fat tube aluminium alloy frame is fine as
long as it is overbuilt (see A).
C. Decent handling on snow, ruts, gravel, over broken pavement.
D. Mounts for fenders and clearance for fat (60-mm) tires.
E. Mounts for a rear rack that can handle two loaded bucket panniers.
F. Able to use an internally gear hub.
G. Dynamo hub lighting.
H. Hub brakes - drums preferred for theft resistance.
I. ISO 559-mm wheel size preferred for greater fat tire choices.

Candidates?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old March 19th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2009-03-19, Tom Sherman wrote:
Plan B would be to get a commuter bike to ride at least in the winter,
and to use for errands. Commuting distance combined with a shopping stop
would be 8 miles or less.

Requirements a

A. Heavy duty frame - should be able to handle 120 kgf of rider and
cargo on less than ideal roads. Rigid fork hard-tail required.
B. Corrosion resistant - a fat tube aluminium alloy frame is fine as
long as it is overbuilt (see A).
C. Decent handling on snow, ruts, gravel, over broken pavement.
D. Mounts for fenders and clearance for fat (60-mm) tires.
E. Mounts for a rear rack that can handle two loaded bucket panniers.
F. Able to use an internally gear hub.
G. Dynamo hub lighting.
H. Hub brakes - drums preferred for theft resistance.
I. ISO 559-mm wheel size preferred for greater fat tire choices.

Candidates?

Tout Terrain?

http://peterwhitecycles.com/tout-terrain.asp

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old March 19th 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Mar 19, 2:20*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
[...]

Surly Karate Monkey. Meets all requirements except that it's steel
rather than ali. But Andrew Muzi wrote not too long ago that steel
bikes don't actually rust away. Also, the KM has space for both
fenders and 60mm balloons all the way up to 622 rims, if you want
them, for a smoother ride over the rough stuff than 559s. -- Andre Jute
Old March 19th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
On 2009-03-19, Tom Sherman wrote:
[...]

I would have to sprint through the grocery store to get back before it
was stolen.

Or are you getting back at me for suggesting the Big Bang in response to
the question of what a good $50 light would be?

Old March 19th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
[...]

Carrera subway 8. Don't know how many of those criteria it meets, but it's
quite a few. Unfortunately it does fail on one of the unstated ones - it's
Halfords own brand, hence UK-only :-)

Old March 19th 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 19, 9:20*am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Plan B would be to get a commuter bike to ride at least in the winter,
and to use for errands. Commuting distance combined with a shopping stop
would be 8 miles or less.

Requirements a

A. Heavy duty frame - should be able to handle 120 kgf of rider and
cargo on less than ideal roads. Rigid fork hard-tail required.
B. Corrosion resistant - a fat tube aluminium alloy frame is fine as
long as it is overbuilt (see A).
C. Decent handling on snow, ruts, gravel, over broken pavement.
D. Mounts for fenders and clearance for fat (60-mm) tires.
E. Mounts for a rear rack that can handle two loaded bucket panniers.
F. Able to use an internally gear hub.
G. Dynamo hub lighting.
H. Hub brakes - drums preferred for theft resistance.
I. ISO 559-mm wheel size preferred for greater fat tire choices.

http://helenscycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=51876

Electra Amsterdam Balloon 8. Yeah, it's derailleured, but it's a 1X8
system which is about stupidly easy to maintain as it gets.. Roller
brakes and Fat Franks. Oh yeah. You can rebuild the front wheel onto a
SA drum/dyno if it's that important to not have to change AAs every
three months.

Old March 19th 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Clive George wrote:
[...]

If I was going to get a Europe only bicycle, a Cannondale Hooligan would
be a candidate, but I imagine Cannondale would slap the hand (or more)
of any dealer who would ship one to the US.

Old March 19th 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2009-03-19, Tom Sherman wrote:
Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
On 2009-03-19, Tom Sherman wrote:
[...]

You seriously need to find an apartment in a nicer part of M'waukee.

Or are you getting back at me for suggesting the Big Bang in response to
the question of what a good $50 light would be?

Moi? Vengeful? You've been in too many flame wars, Tom. I whole-heartedly
endorse B&M lights, even in the face of the dollar being worth less than
a roll of Charmin.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old March 19th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Kristian M Zoerhoff
wrote:

Tout Terrain?

http://peterwhitecycles.com/tout-terrain.asp

wow he makes some very nice bikes!
Old March 19th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

On 2009-03-19, Tom Sherman wrote:
Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
On 2009-03-19, Tom Sherman wrote:
[...]

No, this will be after my move to Eye-Oh-Wuh.

Or are you getting back at me for suggesting the Big Bang in response to
the question of what a good $50 light would be?

Moi? Vengeful? You've been in too many flame wars, Tom. I whole-heartedly
endorse B&M lights, even in the face of the dollar being worth less than
a roll of Charmin.

No, I was considering your suggestion in good humor. However, an IQ Cyo
is much more likely in my future than a Big Bang.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

Here's a plan for you Wayne Pein Racing 0 October 9th 06 09:32 PM
Plan de Corones- POV trg Racing 5 May 24th 06 06:17 AM
The New Uni Plan e39m5 Unicycling 24 June 6th 05 02:53 AM
Plan ahead [email protected] Mountain Biking 5 May 11th 05 05:09 PM
I have a cunning plan... David Martin UK 23 March 29th 05 11:29 PM