Lemonade drinkers

Old May 20th 05, 02:56 PM
John Hearns

Default Lemonade drinkers

I shouldn't really say this,
but apropos of the "are cyclists allowed to race on roads"
thread which is currently debating the definition of excise duty
versus tax, I wonder if a parallel can be drawn.

Should people drinking soft drinks be banned from public houses?
Smiling about it, I guess hardened drinkers would say yes!

I realise why the uk.rec.cyling side argues strongly against the
term 'road tax' as it is connected in the minds of some drivers with
'road fund license', ie, the (incorrect) argument that somehow
VED goes to fund building of roads.

But lets for fun draw a comparison - do drinkers in pubs think
that the excise duty on spirits is used to build better pubs?

Sorry - just feeling silly. And please don't cross-post,
as I'd rather not get drawn into the other thread.

Old May 20th 05, 03:34 PM
MartinM

John Hearns wrote:
I shouldn't really say this,
but apropos of the "are cyclists allowed to race on roads"
thread which is currently debating the definition of excise duty
versus tax, I wonder if a parallel can be drawn.

Should people drinking soft drinks be banned from public houses?

I avoid them anyway.
I have heard stories of cyclists being charged 2.70 for a pint of
orange squash, yes squash.
last time I used a pub on a 200k control I decide to order a pint of
bitter (well it was only 40 flat k to go) it cost 40p less than the
equivalent OJ and L

Old May 20th 05, 03:44 PM
Nathaniel Porter

"John Hearns" wrote in message
news

snip

But lets for fun draw a comparison - do drinkers in pubs think
that the excise duty on spirits is used to build better pubs?

I don't know about that, but money raised from tax on real ale should be
hypothecated into reserving a bar tender for real ale drinkers ;-)

Old May 20th 05, 03:48 PM
JohnB

John Hearns wrote:

But lets for fun draw a comparison - do drinkers in pubs think
that the excise duty on spirits is used to build better pubs?

Only if those pubs sell a decent real ale.

John B
Old May 20th 05, 03:54 PM
JohnB

MartinM wrote:

last time I used a pub on a 200k control I decide to order a pint of
bitter (well it was only 40 flat k to go) it cost 40p less than the
equivalent OJ and L

They probably charged you for 2 x orange juices and a pint of lemonade.
So I'm not surprised at the high price.

Cheapest by far is often a pint of soda and lime, as computerised tills
often only have them down as 'splashes' for 10 or 20p each.

John B
Old May 20th 05, 03:59 PM
Julesh

John Hearns wrote:
I shouldn't really say this,
but apropos of the "are cyclists allowed to race on roads"
thread which is currently debating the definition of excise duty
versus tax, I wonder if a parallel can be drawn.

Should people drinking soft drinks be banned from public houses?
Smiling about it, I guess hardened drinkers would say yes!

I realise why the uk.rec.cyling side argues strongly against the
term 'road tax' as it is connected in the minds of some drivers with
'road fund license', ie, the (incorrect) argument that somehow
VED goes to fund building of roads.

But lets for fun draw a comparison - do drinkers in pubs think
that the excise duty on spirits is used to build better pubs?

Sorry - just feeling silly. And please don't cross-post,
as I'd rather not get drawn into the other thread.

It's not a problem. Duty on tobacco is, or course, used to pay for pub
ashtrays.

Julesh
Old May 20th 05, 04:06 PM
John Hearns

On Fri, 20 May 2005 15:48:57 +0100, JohnB wrote:

John Hearns wrote:

But lets for fun draw a comparison - do drinkers in pubs think that the
excise duty on spirits is used to build better pubs?

Only if those pubs sell a decent real ale.

Ah. You cyclists - now showing your TRUE colours.
You want a Beer Fund License.
All drinkers to display a red badge (to go with their red noses).
The duty is hypothecated to pay for buxom barmaids to serve the perfect
pint of real ale (Nathaniel).

Old May 20th 05, 04:23 PM
Jeremy Collins

On Fri, 20 May 2005 14:56:44 +0100, John Hearns wrote:

But lets for fun draw a comparison - do drinkers in pubs think
that the excise duty on spirits is used to build better pubs?

AIUI pubs make a *massive* profit on soft drinks compared to the
profit on beer, so I guess it's lemonade that builds better pubs!

--
jc
Old May 20th 05, 04:32 PM
JohnB

John Hearns wrote:

But lets for fun draw a comparison - do drinkers in pubs think that the
excise duty on spirits is used to build better pubs?

Only if those pubs sell a decent real ale.

Ah. You cyclists - now showing your TRUE colours.
You want a Beer Fund License.

Slow down, lets not be greedy.
Just the 'Beer Fund' bit will do for now.

John B
Old May 20th 05, 05:07 PM
Phil Clarke

John Hearns wrote:

But lets for fun draw a comparison - do drinkers in pubs think
that the excise duty on spirits is used to build better pubs?

excellent. I shall save that one for the next "bloody cyclists"
thread on the ng's at work - shouldnt take more than a few days ...