local skate park says no to unis and bikes !

Old October 30th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sxbud138

Default local skate park says no to unis and bikes !

I bet our town has maybe 10000 people and i dont think 100 kids total
skate.
I want to just wing it once but the skate park is on the main steet and
on the beach. Im the only person to ride a uni and many people know me
so it wouldnt take long for the word to get out. I think its better to
ask first.

--
sxbud138
Old October 30th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

It took until post #8 for anyone to mention the "I" word. Insurance will
be the reason bikes (and probably unicycles) are not allowed, and
insurance is probably the underlying cost that draws the line there.
It's probably cheaper to insure for one type of activity only, where
there's less chance of collision between different modes of activity.
Also the bikes do go faster, weigh more (than a body + skateboard) and
have a lot more pokey metal sticking out to do damage to people and
property.

That said, AgentQ may have had the best advice in he "your speed and
overall riding is much more like skateboarding than biking." This is
true. Also, you don't have the handlebars and added hardware of a bike
to do damage in a collision with a person. Plus, it's much harder to
send a unicycle shooting out like a skateboard (though we know it's
possible).

If you make your case politely and with plenty of facts to back you up,
you might make some progress. Though I can't recommend "just riding
there" and seeing what happens, it might be the best way to maximize
your amount of time to use the park. Ask, and they can say no. Don't
ask, and they can only say "get out."

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper
Old October 30th 08, 09:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

1-wheeled-grape;1121668 wrote:
The skate park I go to has no rules, no guard, no cost to get in...
nothing. I've seen people go up there on mountain bikes and just ride
around in circles. It's annoying
I rarely go there any more though because of the large amount of rude
and arrogant skaters. Plus there isn't much to do.
When I do go I don't do much any way, practice on the grind rail or
just practice a few things in the corner, because it's flat and out the
way. I prefer it out on the street where there's more to do.

*1) *Same as for the parks i have gone to. I don't get why you would
have to pay though.
*2) *When people saw me riding a coker, most bike riders,
skateboarders, etc stacked it with a face like
*3) *I can't even remember the last time i even went to the park.

--
Hazmat

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM.

catinabag1 wrote:
we should provide the defibrilator
TPBM want some ice cream with smarties while they power up!

'Can't wait till this game is finally released.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuZlRC3dYM)
Old November 3rd 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joejumps4fun

Well that makes more sense...still it's stupid. I ride wherever I want!

--
joejumps4fun

~*Joey*
www.geocities.com/jneigh4
www.youtube.com/jneigh
www.vimeo.com/jneigh
Old November 3rd 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sxbud138

Im going to try to make it down to the city this week. Updates to come !

--
sxbud138
Old November 3rd 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
beeper

The only park I really ride is in PA when I go there, and it's no cost.
There is a 9 set, a ledge running down that same set, a few transitions,
2 quarter pipes, a fly box and a flat bar. Its great. No one can kick
you out, no one cares what you do, as long as you don't destroy the
place completely.

--
beeper

)-90'-UNISPIN-O