C'dale R1000 Multisport/Aero - just for Triathlons?

Old June 23rd 04, 11:15 AM
edcook24

Default C'dale R1000 Multisport/Aero - just for Triathlons?

The search continues..... I've found a 2002 Cannondale R1000 Multisport
on ebay for around $1800. I understand the Multisport is also called the
R1000 Aero (probably just in the US) it has tri bars and a slightly
different geometry. As I will be using the bike primarily for Road
riding as opposed to Triathlons will this cause problems? Or are the
differences to the standard R1000 too small to notice? Any help is much
appreciated.

Ed

Old June 23rd 04, 01:05 PM
NickZX6R

--

It will probably be a bit heavier, tricky in strong cross winds
and more uncomfortable with tri bars on it.

If the Multisport is the R1000 Aero, then it will be very different
to the normal R3000 road frame.

--
Nick
Old June 23rd 04, 02:45 PM
hippy

edcook24 wrote:
The search continues..... I've found a 2002 Cannondale R1000 Multisport
on ebay for around $1800. I understand the Multisport is also called the
R1000 Aero (probably just in the US) it has tri bars and a slightly
different geometry. As I will be using the bike primarily for Road
riding as opposed to Triathlons will this cause problems? Or are the
differences to the standard R1000 too small to notice? Any help is much
appreciated. Ed

If it's the same as this: http://www.roadbikereview.com/psc2001,Bik-
es,and,older/Road,Bike/Cannondale,1999,Multisport,2000/PRD_18418_16-
10crx.aspx

then I would give it a miss for a road bike. It's appears to be a 650C-
wheeled time trial bike. Great for tri's or TT's but no good for normal
road riding, club racing.

This bike will almost certainly by uncomfortable for road riding.

Keep looking

hippy

Old June 23rd 04, 03:00 PM
hippy

edcook24 wrote:
The search continues..... I've found a 2002 Cannondale R1000 Multisport
on ebay for around $1800. I understand the Multisport is also called the
R1000 Aero (probably just in the US) it has tri bars and a slightly
different geometry. As I will be using the bike primarily for Road
riding as opposed to Triathlons will this cause problems? Or are the
differences to the standard R1000 too small to notice? Any help is much
appreciated.
Ed

If it's this one: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate-
gory=7298&item=3684491674&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

there is bugger-all information on that ad. I'd steer clear. I can't
tell if they are 650C wheels or not and the angle looks deceptively
shallow.. but that could just be the angle of the shot..

It might not be so bad for road stuff, but you'd really want to suss it
out a LOT further before handing over 1800 clams. Give it a miss if the
wheels aren't 700C and if the frame geometry is designed for timetrials.

It's a 58cm frame too.. your size?

hippy