Advice on broken wrist

Old October 15th 05, 12:17 PM
trek-man

Default Advice on broken wrist

Greetings all
About a year ago I broke my right wrist in a rather spectacular way
after an eight foot fall. Basically I snapped the ends off both arm
bones where they join the wrist and then i dislocated my wrist back up
on top off and along my arm. I believe its called a Colles fracture or
similar. Anyway after 12 weeks in plaster and months of rehab its
functioning to an extent. I have no where near the movement/ flexibilty
that i used to have though.
Now for the bit where im after advise. I was told at the time that
there were bone fragments still floating that they wernt going to do
anything with. I had no pins or screws as they were able to manipulate
it all back into position. Now i have an almost constant sprained wrist
feeling and if i bump it from a certain angle it hurts like a mother
F@$ker if you know what i mean. Did they do a good enough job on me or
did I get the doctor from the Holywood upstairs medical school (high
everybody). Mount Isa base hospital isnt exactly world renowed for its
orthopeadic surgery.
Whenever I ride for a decent length of time my wrist hurts for hours
afterwards and now that weve been getting a bit of rain and humidity
its been giving me no end of gyp.
Are these just facts of life that have to be put up with after a nasty
break. Has anyone out there experienced similar and are there any
suplements etc that would help from your experience.
Yours with a nancy limp wrist
Mick

--
trek-man

Old October 16th 05, 09:48 PM
flyingdutch

Did something almost identical
(remember those ol' 'play of the day' on WWOS? Baseball gets hit high,
fielders running at it, nobody calls 'mine'. collision. hurties)
ended with knuckles resting against my elbow. Got me some Ti bling tho

I kinda went thru the other end of the scale, treatment-wise.
Had best of everything (well. that's what they claimed...)
But the difference was the (admittedly boring and persistent) endless
physio over the next 12 months (probably longer than needed but i wasnt
paying and dating physio after a while, so i 'suffered' for the cause
)

Mine still stiffens up a bit if i dont do any exercises occassionally
so persist with it. Yours sounds like you may have longer term
complications so may be worthwhile going back in and seeing if they can
remove 'the bits' or give you some other 'remedy'

--
flyingdutch

Broken KH Fusion Saddle Allready?! munimanpete Unicycling 14 July 13th 05 03:47 AM
broken collar bone and ribs- what now? Suz Racing 181 June 29th 05 07:55 PM
Just bought secondhand bike need advice [email protected] UK 19 April 15th 05 05:07 PM
broken spoke [email protected] General 2 March 13th 05 09:34 AM
Polar 720 - broken wires Andrey Techniques 2 February 28th 05 09:06 AM