Bruised and battered!

Old November 16th 06, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

Default Bruised and battered!

Just got back home after my morning ride. In Doncaster centre on the main
road, in light traffic and the usual pedestrians about ( so I am very "town"
alert).travelling in centre of my lane at probably 15 mph, with traffic
lights about 100 metres in front.
Car pulls out of a side road about 30 metres ahead turning left on to the
main road coming towards me.
Car suddenly turns across my front when I am very close.

Been there before last January and got 3 broken ribs.!!!!!!

I was marginally further away this time and as I braked too hard I also
swerved a bit to the right to possibly go rear of the car now directly in
front of me.

Not sure how I can off but finished up still astride my brand new velo,
right on the crown of the road, on my back with my shoulders shouting louder
than I was. Onlookers called police and ambulance and the offending car was
still stopped straddling my lane!

After a short time I was helped up when I realised that although my
shoulders were painful the rest of me seemed ok. A guy was a good Samaritan
and offered help and also said he would act as a witness for me.
As I collected myself together he said

"The woman says she didn't see you and you didn't hit her car" ( i.e. it was
all my fault. -- so how come she was stopped right across my lane! I was
also dressed in bright red and yellow!) I was fortunate that not only did my
witness see the whole incident but he was also a cyclist ( although not on
his bike.).

Ambulance arrived and checked me over and felt there was no need to go to A
& E but said I would be going to my GP as soon as I got home ( about 6
miles)

Police arrived and got a statement from the witness and a statement from me

My right arm movement was pretty painful ( but then I am a total wimp with
pain) but I could tell there was no broken bones just muscular damage.

My bike was apparently undamaged except for a totally smashed B&M Ixon front
lamp which was ripped off the handlebars and my helmet now has a crack in
the polyester (?) running from just above my right temple to the top across
2 vents and 3 bands of the fabric.

( one of the rare times when a helmet gave me a bit of protection as it is
designed to do. I don't remember hitting my head on the road but I must have
done so -- It is only 3 weeks old !!)

Total cost to me of exactly £100 ( lamp and helmet) plus a few painful days.

I cycled back home OK -- in fact it was more comfortable to cycle than it
was to walk except I was unable to signal right turns except with a sort of
flap of my hand from the wrist.

By the time I got to the GP's I found my right shoulder was distinctly more
reluctant to let me move my arm around - but the adrenalin injection from
shock etc was wearing off and it was expected.
I am home now with co-codomal which will ease the pain over the w/e

It just goes to show. I was in a busy area and extremely alert for cars and
pedestrians when this happened. But the car did a very unexpected thing!!!

The police asked me it the car had indicated to turn but I certainly didn't
notice it -- no bl**dy time and the car never slowed carrying out a sort of
"S" manoeuvre in a very short length of highway -- left on to the main road
and immediately right again.

I don't know what will happen will. I shall have a chat with CTC to see if
there is any point in following it up. I don't expect so!.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old November 16th 06, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sandy Morton

In article , Pinky
wrote:

snip

I don't know what will happen will. I shall have a chat with CTC to
see if there is any point in following it up. I don't expect so!.

Glad that you are all in one piece.

--
T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !
Old November 16th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

Glad you are in one piece and not too battered & bruised. Have a chat with
the CTC - you should have a claim against the driver via her insurance I
would have thought. Rest & grow strong.

Cheers, helen s

Old November 16th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Pinky wrote:
snip
I don't know what will happen will. I shall have a chat with CTC to see if
there is any point in following it up. I don't expect so!.

It's definitely worth pursuing a claim for distress and injuries as well
as material loss - it could be worth a few hundred quid and you can
probably do it yourself with a bit of research and a few well-worded
letters. Does the CAB still help out with this sort of thing?
Old November 17th 06, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
rola

My bike was apparently undamaged except for a totally smashed B&M Ixon front
lamp which was ripped off the handlebars and my helmet now has a crack in
the polyester (?) running from just above my right temple to the top across
2 vents and 3 bands of the fabric.

( one of the rare times when a helmet gave me a bit of protection as it is
designed to do. I don't remember hitting my head on the road but I must have
done so -- It is only 3 weeks old !!)

Depending on what kind of helmet it is, you might be able to get a
discounted replacement by sending it back to manufacturer. I found
recently that my crash damaged Bell Sweep-R (80GBP retail) can be
replaced for 35GBP if sent back to Bell UK Distributor Ultimate Pursuits
(Madison).
Old November 17th 06, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Pinky" wrote in message
Just got back home after my morning ride. In Doncaster centre on the main
road, in light traffic and the usual pedestrians about ( so I am very
"town" alert).travelling in centre of my lane at probably 15 mph, with
traffic lights about 100 metres in front.
Car pulls out of a side road about 30 metres ahead turning left on to the
main road coming towards me.
Car suddenly turns across my front when I am very close.

Glad you are OK Trev :-)
Paul xxx from here had a shunt last month in Donny too.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old November 17th 06, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

I shall have a chat with CTC to see if
there is any point in following it up. I don't expect so!.

Um, 1 new B&M Ixon light, 1 new helmet, plus anything else that was damaged
plus possibly a not insignificant sum for your injuries. Will prolly be a
few hundred. That you have a witness who presumably agrees it was the
drivers fault makes it well worth while claiming.

In addition, any claim will also lose the driver's no claims discount (or
prevent driver from getting one). This makes it more likely they'll not be
able to afford to endanger other people with their sub-standard driving
'skills'.
Old November 17th 06, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

snipsnip

Glad you are OK Trev :-)
Paul xxx from here had a shunt last month in Donny too.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Having a rare day without cycling today. Just about to have an hour long
soak in a hot bath The medication is useful but, as I expected, the pain
in my shoulder ( and so lack of mobility) is probably worse than yesterday
but hopefully I shall be back on the road again tomorrow. It is just that,
at my age, the body doesn't like coming to a forceful halt having take a few
seconds of flight! :-}

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

...bleeding, knocked out, and bruised..! LIBERATOR Mountain Biking 1 November 9th 06 01:12 PM
Back from the latest UK 24hr race battered and bruised (oh, and extremely muddy) steve.colligan Unicycling 28 September 1st 06 08:00 AM
Bruised ego Bryan UK 2 June 13th 04 01:21 PM
Solution for bruised ankles? Krashin'Kenny Unicycling 2 August 14th 03 08:03 PM