Body armour?

Old December 18th 06, 03:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Marz

Default Body armour?

Cheers for some excellent advice ( I ignored JD the Simple) and I've
started doing some research, damn there's a whole bunch of choices.

I now need some recommendations, Troy Lee, Fox, 661, Roach,etc. Any of
them got anything for someone 6'5", medium build and who rides in
weather thats 80 plus all year (tropics). I like the look of some of
the pressure suits that use mesh material, but fit is going to be an
issue and so is their price, sheesh.

Laters,

Marz

Old December 18th 06, 04:30 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Marz wrote:
Cheers for some excellent advice ( I ignored JD the Simple) and I've
started doing some research, damn there's a whole bunch of choices.

I now need some recommendations, Troy Lee, Fox, 661, Roach,etc. Any of
them got anything for someone 6'5", medium build and who rides in
weather thats 80 plus all year (tropics). I like the look of some of
the pressure suits that use mesh material, but fit is going to be an
issue and so is their price, sheesh.

Laters,

Marz

It's all going to be hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable. I tried it once
and never wore the crap again. I got a nasty heat rash from it in the
fold of my arm. I thought the itching was worse than any pain from a
fall. I'd send you my gear but it wouldn't fit you.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old December 18th 06, 04:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"Mr. Excitement" wrote in message

If you can handle a bicycle, you don't need it.

JD

And if you can handle a car, you won't need a seatbelt?

apples and oranges

The terrain doesn't have a mental lapse (read freaking cell phone stuck to
ear) to come crashing into you like another driver.

Gary (crash a lot)

Old December 18th 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Dec 17, 9:50 pm, "Marz" wrote:
Ok so I fell 3 weeks ago. Broken hand (almost fine again) and badly
bruised and swollen elbow. The elbow injury led to an burst bursa (some
gland at the elbow) and possibly a touch of gout. A large amount of
swelling and pain which went down after two huge antibiotic injections
and a course of pills.
I've got about another 3 weeks before I can ride again and the wife
wants to know what I'm going to do about avoiding a similiar accident
again (this was my first big crash in 5 years and the one before that
was on the road). She'd be very happy if I took up golf or maybe
squash, but I like mtbing, a lot. I also like taking my 6 inch travel
all mountain baby up and down any trail I can find; picking my way
across a jumble of rocks and roots is half the fun.

Anyway, my question is, is body armour only for mad down hill and free
riders or is it ok for all mountain rides or extreme xc'ers to wear it
too?

Laters,

Marz

Earlier this year at my first time to my now favorite trails, I got my
ass handed to me in an extremely graceful way. The guy who did it was
wearing shin pads and wrist armor. I fell once on the way up in a
minor loss of traction that left me laughing on my back, and then came
rather close to a hard crash on the way down. I ended up needing a new
rear der. & a little frame maintenance from the LBS, but I did stay up
(barely). I can say the guy I was following certainly did not appear
to be held back by his pads, though it wasn't a storm trooper style
getup.
I'm thinking about some pads for myself in the spring, so my take is
go for it, and let me know how you like it. Your wife is aboard, so
you're clear to spend the money. As Beej mentioned, you may as well
not get hurt while having fun & who cares what everyone else thinks?

Back when I raced BMX we all wore Lizard Skins shin pads, which were
not bad at all. They also fit under BMXer baggy jeans, though I
don't know about what I'm wearing these days. I don't worry
about my shins so much clipped in, but if I did that'd be my pick.
I've got no experience with any other armor. I've broken each
wrist a couple times and would really like to find a comfortable wrist
brace I can ride in, but I've not found anything yet.

Dan

Old December 18th 06, 09:08 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

cc wrote:
JD wrote:
sissy wrote:
JD wrote:
If you can handle a bicycle, you don't need it.

JD

Even the best riders make
mistakes. If the terrain is
severe, so are the consequences.

cc

Written like the sissymary that you so obviously are, colon. Don't
ever ride on the Colorado Plateau because it'll probably be too
"severe" for the likes of you. For that matter, don't ride anywhere
that has rocks or exposure with a punk bitch attitude like that. In
fact, why don't you just stick to greenways? It all comes back to the
lame liberal notion that one should not be responsible for their
actions. Dont ride the track if you're just a hack.

Taken personally, as usual.

As if your pussy response wasn't replying to what I had written? Of
course you reply back with the expected and typical victicrat liberal
pussy response.

I think that if you don't
crash every now and then,
you're not pushing your
limits.

You're a douchebag and don't know **** about me and what limits I may
or may not be pushing. Time for another chicken**** response from you
that you would never dare to get in my face with...

JD

Old December 18th 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

Marz wrote:
damn there's a whole bunch of choices.

Feeding the fear of pussies everywhere.

JD

Old December 18th 06, 09:13 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

Mr. dumbass wrote:
And if you can handle a car, you won't need a seatbelt?

Why don't you wrap a seatbelt around your neck and drive the LA
freeways in the #1 lane at 30 mph. That would be some real excitement.

JD

Old December 18th 06, 09:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

small change wrote:
In Canada, everyone wears it, they think we yanks are nuts for not, so it's
all a matter of perspective.

So, Canadicans are more into instant gratification on a mountain bike
than we yanks are, eh? That's really what body armor in an XC setting
is all about, instant gratification. It's even written all over in the
pro-armor posts in this thread, with the notion that you are allowed to
push your limits without having to pay the price for failure. Learning
the hard way from one's mistakes is just not acceptable in this day and
age. The punkification of anything and everything that is considered
"extreem" by the marketing geniuses is just another way to feed the
fear. I actually saw some dumbass armor up at an XC trailhead and he
had a "no fear" sticker on his truck. It's obviously more acceptable
to the mainstream clones to just be another punk bitch on a bike
instead of riding close to one's limits and learning at a rate that
doesn't damage yourself, or damage the trails, which in turn damages
access.

JD

Old December 19th 06, 01:31 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
NotaKnob

JD wrote:
Marz wrote:
Anyway, my question is, is body armour only for mad down hill and free
riders or is it ok for all mountain rides or extreme xc'ers to wear it
too?

Laters,

Marz

If you can handle a bicycle, you don't need it.

So says the man with the low deductible on his health insurance...

I've thought about getting knee and elbow guards as my killer instincts
are not strong and I sometimes hesitate at the moment of truth. Then I
am in a world of ****. This often happens when there is some bad
"stuff" in the direction that I am soon to plummet.

Who cares if it's OK? Some need peer pressure, mental preparation,
physical protection or liquid courage (ummm, liquid courage...).
Whatever gets you on the trail.

Bruce

Old December 19th 06, 01:43 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
NotaKnob

JD wrote:
age. The punkification of anything and everything that is considered
"extreem" by the marketing geniuses is just another way to feed the
fear. I actually saw some dumbass armor up at an XC trailhead and he
had a "no fear" sticker on his truck.

Not sure if this is funny or sad:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...s173835S79.DTL

Ah, I laughed. I'd say he was afraid of life.

{For Sale} Roach body armour forget_your_life Unicycling 4 September 20th 06 07:22 AM
Road Race Body Armour J999w Racing 17 August 12th 04 02:11 PM
The ultimate in body armour Danny Colyer Unicycling 6 May 13th 04 03:34 AM
arm armour BigWheelTex Unicycling 8 September 5th 03 05:16 PM
body armour Peter B UK 4 July 29th 03 05:43 PM