Body armour?

Old December 19th 06, 02:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
(PeteCresswell)

Default Body armour?

Per NotaKnob:
Not sure if this is funny or sad:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...s173835S79.DTL

Couple years ago I was flipping channels and paused at some X-Games interviews
with motorcycle freeride contestants.

Sat through a half-dozen-or-so interviews before the realization hit me: "None
of these guys has even half their teeth."
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 19th 06, 03:09 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
pete fagerlin

small change wrote:

In Canada, everyone wears it, they think we yanks are nuts for not, so it's
all a matter of perspective.

Delusional.

Not everyone in Canada wears body armor while riding their bikes.

Lotsa Freds like to excuse their fredliness by pointing north
of the border but the fact remains that plenty of people ride
sans armor in Canada.

That's perspective for you.
Old December 19th 06, 03:56 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
wizardB

pete fagerlin wrote:
small change wrote:

In Canada, everyone wears it, they think we yanks are nuts for not, so
it's all a matter of perspective.

Delusional.

Not everyone in Canada wears body armor while riding their bikes.

Lotsa Freds like to excuse their fredliness by pointing north of the
border but the fact remains that plenty of people ride sans armor in
Canada.

That's perspective for you.

Riding XC or Free riding or Shore style which ever , armor is a must
whenever your pushing the envelope.The only people who don't are the
idiots,they might as well leave their helmets home and just off
themselves fast.
Old December 19th 06, 04:02 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
pete fagerlin

wizardB wrote:

Riding XC or Free riding or Shore style which ever , armor is a must
whenever your (sic) pushing the envelope.

You're(!)incredibly misinformed, and confused.

But you do make me laugh, so thanks for that.
Old December 19th 06, 04:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Corvus Corvax

pete fagerlin wrote:
wizardB wrote:

Riding XC or Free riding or Shore style which ever , armor is a must
whenever your (sic) pushing the envelope.

You're(!)incredibly misinformed, and confused.

But you do make me laugh, so thanks for that.

Been there, seen it, walked it. Broke my finger anyway.

CC

Old December 19th 06, 04:56 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Slack

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:25:30 -0800, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per NotaKnob:
Not sure if this is funny or sad:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...s173835S79.DTL

Couple years ago I was flipping channels and paused at some X-Games
interviews
with motorcycle freeride contestants.

Sat through a half-dozen-or-so interviews before the realization hit me:
"None
of these guys has even half their teeth."

Yeah, but some of that may have been due to the meth.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...meth_mouth.jpg
--
Slack
Old December 19th 06, 08:03 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Giant Yukon MTB Girl

armour is what got me on the trails and kept me going back. like some
sense of security, i knew i wouldn't have to show up to work the next
day with too many bruises and scrapes. After about a year of riding
MTB (I used to road bike) I was confident enough on the trails to do
without the armour. It was still a good investment or I would not have
liked it as much as I did. I fell alot, I'm very clumsy. This year,
I'm just getting back into mountain biking after being very ill, so I
may or may not need the armour again. I'll probably have it in the
trunk just in case. btw, the armour I used was full front leg shin &
knee plus elbow pads. Once at Dagmar, an old man walked up to me and
asked why I was all decked out and i had to tell him I fell alot. But
turns out Dagmar was easier than the one I kept trying to master: the
DVP. Out again I go this year though, armour or no armour.

On Dec 18, 8:31 pm, "NotaKnob" wrote:
JD wrote:
Marz wrote:
Anyway, my question is, is body armour only for mad down hill and free
riders or is it ok for all mountain rides or extreme xc'ers to wear it
too?

Laters,

Marz

If you can handle a bicycle, you don't need it.So says the man with the low deductible on his health insurance...

I've thought about getting knee and elbow guards as my killer instincts
are not strong and I sometimes hesitate at the moment of truth. Then I
am in a world of ****. This often happens when there is some bad
"stuff" in the direction that I am soon to plummet.

Who cares if it's OK? Some need peer pressure, mental preparation,
physical protection or liquid courage (ummm, liquid courage...).
Whatever gets you on the trail.

Bruce

Old December 19th 06, 12:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Marz

The dirty deed is done. I know I've gone OTT, but there is some logic
to my madness. I went an ordered Pro Pressure Suit from 661 (from
BeyondBikes for a lot less them mrrp), not a cheap suit and I could
have got same basic elbow pads for a lot less. I couldn't do any of the
neoprene wrap around soft pads as it just too warm here for that and
I've never found a set of elbow pads that stay in place for more than
30 seconds. The mesh that most pressure suits seem to be made of looks
good for airflow and the 661 suit has a couple of good looking cut outs
at important chaffing points.

I also picked up a pair of 661 race lite knee guards as they claim to
be well vented for warm weather and were the only pads that came in
different sizes. XL for lanky legs.

Oh and thumb holes, any suit with a normal cuff is just going to ride
up my long arms and be useless.

First ride's not going to be until the new year where the true test is
going to be not whether it'll save my skin in a crash, but whether I
mind wearing them for a 2-3 hour hack over the trails.

How do you wash these things? And is it possible to wear them without a
base layer or am I setting myself up for a chaffing nightmare?

Laters,

Marz

Old December 19th 06, 02:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"Marz" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Just food for thought. Last December I went OTB and broke my collar. No
amount of armor would have prevented this....... I had no other scrapes and
only one other bruise where the bike hit me on it's way down.

It's still all JD's fault VBG

Gary

Old December 19th 06, 05:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mamba

"Marz" wrote in message
oups.com...

Anyway, my question is, is body armour only for mad down hill and free
riders or is it ok for all mountain rides or extreme xc'ers to wear it
too?

Laters,

Marz

Breaking bones or serious injury is not a necessary rite of passage for
mountain biking, XC or otherwise. For mere mortals who aren't born experts,
are we supposed to relish a learning curve of injuries to prove we have
courage? Gimme a break (pun intended).

Folks have similar opinions about helmets, which I would consider the most
fundamental form of body armor. I personally wear a helmet and wouldn't
ride without it. I don't use other forms of body armor, but then again my
injuries from mountain biking have been (thankfully) limited to cuts and
bruises. If I was riding really dangerous terrain, I wouldn't hesitate to
protect myself.

Just my $.02. I treat mountain biking as a passion and a recreational
sport. I don't need to bleed every time I ride. I also often ride with
novice and mellow friends as a social event on trails that are laughably
non-technical.

{For Sale} Roach body armour forget_your_life Unicycling 4 September 20th 06 07:22 AM
Road Race Body Armour J999w Racing 17 August 12th 04 02:11 PM
The ultimate in body armour Danny Colyer Unicycling 6 May 13th 04 03:34 AM
arm armour BigWheelTex Unicycling 8 September 5th 03 05:16 PM
body armour Peter B UK 4 July 29th 03 05:43 PM