mini pumps

Old November 26th 10, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_2_]

Default mini pumps

Any recommendations on a mini pump that can get your tires to at least 90
psi without too much trouble. I have the strength to do this but normally
have been carrying co2 but these are not always great as they can let air
escape if you are clumsy like me. I am thinking of going back to a mini pump
at least you have air and don't have to carry around spare co2. Today I had
a rare flat and had two co2 16 oz. with me but they both wiped out because I
was cold and fumbling around. Good thing for cell phones but frankly I would
have been good with even my mini pump that I can get to around 70 psi but
not much more.

Anyone else find the co2 thing not really as cool as it would seem?

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church

Old November 26th 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° -->[_2_]

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&hl=en&q=topeak%20morph&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=shop:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&biw=1116& bih=495

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old November 26th 10, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_4_]

On 26 nov, 23:12, "Mark Cleary" wrote:
Any recommendations on a mini pump that can get your tires to at least 90
psi without too much trouble. I have the strength to do this but normally
have been carrying *co2 but these are not always great as they can let air
escape if you are clumsy like me. I am thinking of going back to a mini pump
at least you have air and don't have to carry around spare co2. Today I had
a rare flat and had two co2 16 oz. with me but they both wiped out because I
was cold and fumbling around. Good thing for cell phones but frankly I would
have been good with even my mini pump that I can get to around 70 psi but
not much more.

Anyone else find the co2 thing not really as cool as it would seem?

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church

Good CO2 inflaters exist; even for clumsy people.

Lou
Old November 26th 10, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_2_]

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church
"Lou Holtman" wrote in message

[...]

Which one would go with Lou? I have this bontrager and I may need to
practice it is pretty small.

Old November 26th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 26, 4:12*pm, "Mark Cleary" wrote:
Any recommendations on a mini pump that can get your tires to at least 90
psi without too much trouble. I have the strength to do this but normally
have been carrying *co2 but these are not always great as they can let air
escape if you are clumsy like me. I am thinking of going back to a mini pump
at least you have air and don't have to carry around spare co2. Today I had
a rare flat and had two co2 16 oz. with me but they both wiped out because I
was cold and fumbling around. Good thing for cell phones but frankly I would
have been good with even my mini pump that I can get to around 70 psi but
not much more.

Anyone else find the co2 thing not really as cool as it would seem?

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church

Lezyne pumps are great. Good looking enough to not mind the mount
beside the bottle cage. Hose connection so no more broken valve stems.

For less money, Topeak Master Blasters are super well made, but take a
few more pumps. That's what I use, as I need to ward off the flat
gods, not actually fix flats. (very often)
Old November 27th 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 26, 4:42*pm, landotter wrote:
Hose connection so no more broken valve stems.

I haven't broken a valve stem since maybe never. I did "disturb" a
Presta stem or two until I figured out how to wrap three fingers
around the pump, thumb and first finger around the pump, and support
the pump and valve.

I've been doing this so long it's become automatic and I had to go
pick up a pump and put it on a tire valve to see how I do this g.

Nothing against hose connections or anyone using what-ever kind of
pump suits them best, just saying you probably want to support the
pump solidly somehow anyway, and putting the valve up at the top of
the tire and holding it thus instead of bracing the pump head against
the ground (guessing) means you don't have to bend over as far. Old
fart perspective?
--D-y
Old November 27th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Mark Cleary" wrote in message
Any recommendations on a mini pump that can get your tires to at least 90
psi without too much trouble. I have the strength to do this but normally
have been carrying co2 but these are not always great as they can let air
escape if you are clumsy like me. I am thinking of going back to a mini
pump at least you have air and don't have to carry around spare co2. Today
I had a rare flat and had two co2 16 oz. with me but they both wiped out
because I was cold and fumbling around. Good thing for cell phones but
frankly I would have been good with even my mini pump that I can get to
around 70 psi but not much more.

Anyone else find the co2 thing not really as cool as it would seem?

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church

Mark,
I've had good luck with a Topeak Mini Morph.
Kerry

Old November 27th 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Nov 26, 3:12*pm, "Mark Cleary" wrote:

Anyone else find the co2 thing not really as cool as it would seem?

I like CO2 and use it regularly but prefer the adapters that use
unthreaded cartridges and have a lever to control pressure release.
Off-road I usually make sure to have a pump too.

The secret to a pump for road pressures is to have a narrow barrel.
That's the only way to make it manageable at higher pressures. Beyond
that a short barrel means lots more strokes to fill a tire but is more
compact. A long pump requires fewer strokes but is harder to stow.
I have a Trek "Wrench Force" pump (model name unknown) that I find
very utilitarian. Skinny, medium long, double action (pumps on both
the push and pull) so is pretty speedy yet still fairly compact.

DR
Old November 27th 10, 06:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

T0m Sherm4n wrote:

Mark Cleary wrote:

Good thing
for cell phones but frankly I would have been good with even my mini
pump that I can get to around 70 psi but not much more.[...]

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...8j-rHnLqUZE_4w

The Lezyne Micro Floor Drive is a better pump than the Topeak Morph
all the way around. All its structural parts are metal (and
replaceable), and its build quality is much nicer overall than any
other brand of on-bike pump I've seen lately.

http://www.lezyne.com/products/hand-...floor-drive-hv

Chalo
Old November 27th 10, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
MikeWhy

[...]

I was about to recommend the Bontrager I have. It has a screw valve that
seemed easy enough to work, but I used it only in reasonable warmth.

The more immediate problem to solve is your hypothermia. I don't have any
advice to give. I've retreated indoors already with a 6 month facilities
pass for the park district weight rooms.

mini mini pump recommendation needed Simon Lewis Techniques 31 March 27th 10 07:19 AM
Lezyne mini pumps? Ronko Techniques 2 November 2nd 09 01:34 AM
Mini pumps Donga Australia 12 December 15th 05 01:53 PM
Advice on mini pumps troutboy Mountain Biking 11 November 24th 04 01:30 PM
Mini pumps, recommendations? Tony W UK 11 August 21st 03 03:41 PM