Are SM-SH24 Shimano cleats the right cleats 4 Shimano 600 pedals & toeclips?

Old December 5th 11, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Are SM-SH24 Shimano cleats the right cleats 4 Shimano 600 pedals & toeclips?

I was just rooting through my old parts box and found a set of Shimano
triangular cleats that I must have bought back in 1985 or so. They are
marked SM-SH24. Are these SM-SH24 Shimano cleats the right cleats 4
Shimano 600 pedals & toeclips? They have a bit of a lip at the front
and a slot for the pedal cage to fit into.

Thanks again and cheers

Old December 5th 11, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Dec 5, 2:21*pm, Hank wrote:
On Dec 4, 5:27*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I was just rooting through my old parts box and found a set of Shimano
triangular cleats that I must have bought back in 1985 or so. They are
marked SM-SH24. Are these SM-SH24 Shimano cleats the right cleats 4
Shimano 600 pedals & toeclips? They have a bit of a lip at the front
and a slot for the pedal cage to fit into.

Thanks *again and cheers

Thoserthem.

Thank you so much for confirming that. I am so glad that I never threw
these cleats away.

Can you tell me how the front of the cleat is suppsedto engage the
pedal? I've forgotten in the 25+ years since I last had N600 pedals.

Thanks again and cheers
Old December 6th 11, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Dacey

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 17:27:11 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I was just rooting through my old parts box and found a set of Shimano
triangular cleats that I must have bought back in 1985 or so. They are
marked SM-SH24. Are these SM-SH24 Shimano cleats the right cleats 4
Shimano 600 pedals & toeclips? They have a bit of a lip at the front
and a slot for the pedal cage to fit into.

Thanks again and cheers

The SM-SH24 cleat was designed primarily for use with clipless pedals
(Look "Delta" compatible models). Although it also has a vestigial
slot to engage the rear cage plate of pedals fitted with toe clips, I
think you'll find its slot insufficiently deep to keep your shoe
reliably coupled to the pedal in riding situations of medium or high
intensity.

If you want a Shimano-branded cleat to partner with your 600 model
pedals, you're probably better served with their PD-64 cleats.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Our 28th year
http://businesscycles.com
-------------------------------
Old December 7th 11, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:
[...]

How much are the cleats and can I order them from you?

Thanks and cheers
Old December 8th 11, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Dacey

wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have them in stock, but be aware that over time PD-64 cleat
sets have become quite dear. Insofar as I know (and I've made more
than just a casual search) there is only one distributor on the planet
that still has any inventory of this item to sell to bike shops. That
distributor is fully aware that their dwindling stock is a
non-renewable resource for which there is still considerable demand
(PD-64 cleats remain a very popular choice among track racers when
paired with Shimano's old PD-7400 pedals). The cleats are priced
accordingly. You'll find them in the track section of our website at
the following link:
http://businesscycles.com/trcomp.htm#pedals

Your 600 pedals will work with any cleat with a traditional slot to
engage the rear cage plate. Unless you really need the unique
retention properties offered by the PD-64 model, I encourage you to
consider other cleat options that will be less than half the cost of
PD-64s (same link as above).

-------------------------------
Old December 9th 11, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

wrote:
[...]

Holy cow . . . $65. Who buys those things? -- Jay Beattie.

Old December 9th 11, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

About right for "last made about twenty years ago, new
vintage bits".

Modern "we make a million a month" cleats are dirt cheap.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 9th 11, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

wrote:
[...]

I'm not critical of John's price -- I looked elsewhere and its
market. I just don't get why people buy them. I've got classic Record
track pedals that on eBay go for less than those plastic cleats.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 9th 11, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Jay Beattie wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I would guess that in 2011 there are 100 or more pairs of
decent quality Record (1037 & 1037a) pedals available for
every set of Shimano PD64 cleats.

Thinking that over, there are probably more new-in-box
Record pedals than Shimano cleats by a good margin.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971