Beaded tires higher cost than folding, why?

Old January 3rd 17, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand

Default Beaded tires higher cost than folding, why?

Just mounted the last Gatorskin on a shallow Mavic rim. What a bear.
Can't feel my thumbs anymore.

Try using this:

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir.../dp/B001AYML7K
Old January 3rd 17, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2017-01-03, Joerg wrote:

This _is_ a steel frame and 1982 should count as old, Gazelle Trim
Trophy. This frame:

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/234710/

I know that (probably) isn't a photo of Joerg's bike, but does it
look to anyone else like the fork has been bent backward post-impact?

Hard to have certainty with one snapshot but I don't think
so. Notice bike is positioned with the fork/bars slightly to
the left. Saddle looks nose-up but some riders actually ride
like that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 3rd 17, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-01-03 13:03, Bertrand wrote:
Just mounted the last Gatorskin on a shallow Mavic rim. What a bear.
Can't feel my thumbs anymore.

Try using this:

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir.../dp/B001AYML7K

Except when it doesn't work :-)

Quote "By Les Garcia on September 25, 2011
Verified Purchase
Can't tell you if it works because mine broke on the first attempt at
mounting a tire".

It looks way too fragile and usually my impression does not fail when it
comes to bicycle stuff. If something looks like it could break then it
usually does. I have snapped off several high-Dollar top name brand tire
levers taking off Gatorskin tires. Topeak and such. Which is one of the
reasons why ideally I'd like to find another brand tire. The other
reason are the thin side walls of Gatorskins. So the one I mounted today
might as well be my last one.

The beaded Gatorskins stretch a bit when they have been mounted for a
while. Not much but it can reduce the next time to mount it from one
hour to half an hour.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old January 3rd 17, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 12:01:45 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:

That is definitely not the case in the Sierra foothills. They are a bane
all summer long. Even now and rain doesn't seem to squash them either. I
picked two out of a tire on Sunday and it has rained a lot.

I would think that they would spray for the fern-like plant since it is fatal forage for sheep.

Old January 3rd 17, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Yeah, right, throw everything away and buy new.

https://www.google.com/#q=used+tusca...bicycle+frames

used. is super abt cycling we can switch horses n not pay out the nose for it.

if the current ride is susceptible to a gross upgrade in lifestyle with a new (used) bike then **** man go for it.

I doahno narrow tires n rims. 32 Conti TT n Turbos are terrific. Before they died I bought 10 3/8th's 3 rib fresh Kendas...in an armload. ebullient over the road tire

Conti's website is excellent at explaining Conti's line.

No one has time to talk. I wanna ask Hella WTF goes on with the replacement units I have but the answer is find an expert n have him examine your problem. Which is true n I cannah ask for more.

Old January 3rd 17, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-01-02 18:46, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
tight ? how long are these tires lasting ? divide by cost

Gatorskins last 2500mi on the rear which is better than the (much lower
cost) Vredesteins I used to ride. But $50 is too much.

buy a new frame for 35-32

Yeah, right, throw everything away and buy new.

you have the wong tire consult Conti...uneeda commuter in 32

Last time I wrote to Conti they didn't even bother to answer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Your baloney has a first name
It's F-o-r-t-e
Old January 4th 17, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-01-03 13:35,
wrote:
On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 12:01:45 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:

That is definitely not the case in the Sierra foothills. They are a bane
all summer long. Even now and rain doesn't seem to squash them either. I
picked two out of a tire on Sunday and it has rained a lot.

I would think that they would spray for the fern-like plant since it is fatal forage for sheep.

I think they have given up spraying. Same with star-thistle. It is
simply too late.

Animals seem to have a good sense of what isn't so good for them, at
least wild ones. We have lots of oleander which is dangerous for
animals. Currently we have to adult females and one fawn around here.
Occasionally a not so friendly looking buck. They eat just about
everything green but never touch the oleanders.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I can see you don't know sheep.

True, I don't. Maybe they belong to the less smart group of animals. As
a cyclist my impression is the squirrels and turkeys rank top when it
comes to cases of aggravated stupidity.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Vittoria non-folding tires Coltrane Techniques 3 September 11th 08 09:57 PM
Wire-Beaded Tires on Straight-Sided Rim? question man Techniques 5 May 7th 05 05:51 PM
27 inch folding tires? cheg Techniques 3 August 25th 04 06:31 PM
relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires Anonymous Techniques 46 April 7th 04 07:03 PM
beaded, tubeless, folding HELP! davebee UK 8 February 2nd 04 07:50 PM