Beaded tires higher cost than folding, why?

Old January 5th 17, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Beaded tires higher cost than folding, why?

On 2017-01-03, Joerg wrote:

I'd like 28mm but it won't fit in my frame. 23mm is too iffy because of
numerous required offroad stints and the occasional heavy load.

I am also looking at the CST Conquistare which comes in 25mm but
unfortunately only the foldable one has 3-ply all across the sidewalls..

Joerg,

Durano DD, $24 ea. when you buy 2:
http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty.../11071015.html

Michelin Pro4 Endurance, $25.5:
http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty.../11090762.html

Gatorskin, $29:
http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty.../10780033.html

Gatorskin Hardshell, $32:
http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty.../10780030.html

Thanks. None of them are beaded but if I can't find anything else the
Hardshell in the last link has a very competitive price.

Do you mean they don't have a wire bead. All of them have a bead. Why is having a wire bead important? Price? You should try one of these and report back: http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...83_-1___205035

There are some complaints about the sizing, but with your rims, maybe a bigger tire would be a good thing.

OT, I had to fix a flat yesterday in sub-freezing weather, and it sucked. I was riding a sale-table Bontrager all weather tire that had finally worn to the point where it was easy for glass shards to fret through the casing. The moral of the story is that one can avoid certain flats by replacing tires before running them to the cord. Thorns are a different matter, but to get significant flat protection, you have to ride a nasty hard case tire with the riding characteristics of a wagon wheel.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 5th 17, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 7:17:46 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:

Do you mean they don't have a wire bead. All of them have a bead. Why is having a wire bead important? Price? You should try one of these and report back: http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...83_-1___205035

Jay, where ever possible you should read the reviews:

"I bought a pair of these and installed it on my wheels (Ultegra hubs w/ Mavic Open Pro rims), and pumped them up to 100psi. After riding 7 miles I park my bike inside. About an hour later I hear a loud "bang", and found my front wheel was flat. The "lip" of the tire (the part that clinches onto the rim) had failed in one spot and sheared off, and the tire detached from the rim, which caused the tube inside to expand and explode. No longer trust the tire as it no longer attaches to the rim very well."
Old January 5th 17, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 2017-01-03 12:31, Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2017-01-03, Joerg wrote:

[...]

I use Specialized Pro tires. They're light folding tires and they have
flat protection. I don't know about thorns as we don't have them here
but I don't get puncture flats much. Last one was maybe 2 years ago and
the tire was pretty worn. This is on Quebec roads. I've split a tube's
seam hitting potholes and stuff like that but no punctures. They're not
cheap though.

Old January 5th 17, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-01-03 12:31, Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2017-01-03, Joerg wrote:

[...]

The Specialized Armadillos are absolutely bullet proof but they're $80 apiece.
Old January 5th 17, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 7:24:53 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 7:17:46 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:

Do you mean they don't have a wire bead. All of them have a bead. Why is having a wire bead important? Price? You should try one of these and report back: http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...83_-1___205035

Jay, where ever possible you should read the reviews:

"I bought a pair of these and installed it on my wheels (Ultegra hubs w/ Mavic Open Pro rims), and pumped them up to 100psi. After riding 7 miles I park my bike inside. About an hour later I hear a loud "bang", and found my front wheel was flat. The "lip" of the tire (the part that clinches onto the rim) had failed in one spot and sheared off, and the tire detached from the rim, which caused the tube inside to expand and explode. No longer trust the tire as it no longer attaches to the rim very well."

I saw that -- and one complaint about sizing. On average, people seemed to like them. For $19, they might be worth a try, and at that price point, I can't think of a lot of hard case options.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 5th 17, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 8:26:57 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I have a set of the Michelin's coming and I'll turn in my report for whatever it's worth. I can tell you that I don't like the traction feel of Gatorskins and the price of Armadillos. The Thickskins have a quality problem.

Michelins in the normal road tires have very good traction so perhaps the flat proof version will match them or at least be better than Gatorskins.
Old January 6th 17, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Duane wrote in news
I use Specialized Pro tires. They're light folding tires and they have
flat protection. I don't know about thorns as we don't have them here
but I don't get puncture flats much. Last one was maybe 2 years ago and
the tire was pretty worn. This is on Quebec roads. I've split a tube's
seam hitting potholes and stuff like that but no punctures. They're not
cheap though.

Duane, from whom do you get your Specialized tires? I was looking for
Armadillos and was told they were not available in Canada.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old January 6th 17, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 10:01:45 AM UTC-8, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Duane wrote in news
I use Specialized Pro tires. They're light folding tires and they have
flat protection. I don't know about thorns as we don't have them here
but I don't get puncture flats much. Last one was maybe 2 years ago and
the tire was pretty worn. This is on Quebec roads. I've split a tube's
seam hitting potholes and stuff like that but no punctures. They're not
cheap though.

Duane, from whom do you get your Specialized tires? I was looking for
Armadillos and was told they were not available in Canada.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

http://tinyurl.com/hgwh9sg

They appear to only have 25 mm's at the time.
Old January 6th 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 06/01/2017 1:00 PM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Duane wrote in news
I use Specialized Pro tires. They're light folding tires and they have
flat protection. I don't know about thorns as we don't have them here
but I don't get puncture flats much. Last one was maybe 2 years ago and
the tire was pretty worn. This is on Quebec roads. I've split a tube's
seam hitting potholes and stuff like that but no punctures. They're not
cheap though.

Duane, from whom do you get your Specialized tires? I was looking for
Armadillos and was told they were not available in Canada.

I get them at a bike shop in Montreal. I don't think they're available
online except from specialized:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-pro/107090.

Locally, only from Specialized distributors.

Old January 6th 17, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-01-02 15:45,
wrote:

[...]

... All of the reviews on them are good but the tire is still
new yet.

Amazon wants almost $59 for the 25mmm. Yikes!

https://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Pro4...E4O?th=1&psc=1

I don't mind being the test rider if the specs are good. But not at $59.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I am pretty sure that they had the 25 when I put that not out. Man,
the word should have gone out pretty fast. I bought a set of the 23's
to test.

The Gatorskins are OK but they are pretty stiff and don't corner all
that well. ...

I don't care much about cornering since most of my stretches on the road
bike are straight shots for miles and miles. Curves are mostly gentle
like this:

https://www.traillink.com/photos/ame..._1802_trlc.jpg

An extreme is this bike path where you have to watch not to fall asleep
over the handlebar:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._bike_path.jpg

There's too much glass on the roads around here to have
anything other than a reinforced tire.

Here as well but of more concern are goat's head thorns. Only the best
Kevlar-armed tires survive and only if you run extra thick tubes. An
issue are the notoriously weak side walls of even expensive tires. It
takes only one thorn to flip over or to get in while leaning into a
curve. The tube damage is often so bad that it can be fixed reliably and
with my tubes that's $15-20 worth of damage every time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

You haven't tried them yet obviously
http://www.performancebike.com/webap...&searchTer m=

No and I couldn't find any useful professional reviews. They didn't show
in line-ups of puncture-resistant tires I saw. From pictures their tires
don't seem to be 3-ply in the side walls:

https://cycletechreview.com/2014/rev...pen-road-tyre/

Seems she got a side wall puncture when testing:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/revie...open-road-tyre

Those are not the tires I'm talking about. Those are lightweight, 300TPI; the models I'm talking, strada ST and K, are about are like a slightly heavier gatorskin with rubber on the sidewalls. 27 TPI.
https://drandalls.wordpress.com/2015...k-tire-review/

I think this is what you should be riding
http://www.performancebike.com/webap...400235__400235

Thanks. I looked at Strada but couldn't find good reviews either. Just
commets like in your link above, like "... but wears fast". I wonder
what that means in miles compared to the Gatorskin.

This ... quote "I go through about 5 of them every season with 5500 to
6500 miles, which includes front and rear tires" ... does not look so
good. I am used to 2500mi per tire on the road bike.

Quote "My only complaint thus far is that they were a bear to install"
painfulkly reminds me of Gatorskins.

460 grams looks good though, heavier is usuall better. Will research that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Vittoria non-folding tires Coltrane Techniques 3 September 11th 08 09:57 PM
Wire-Beaded Tires on Straight-Sided Rim? question man Techniques 5 May 7th 05 05:51 PM
27 inch folding tires? cheg Techniques 3 August 25th 04 06:31 PM
relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires Anonymous Techniques 46 April 7th 04 07:03 PM
beaded, tubeless, folding HELP! davebee UK 8 February 2nd 04 07:50 PM