Keep your head up!

Old June 17th 04, 01:15 AM
hippy

Default Keep your head up!

flyingdutch wrote:
I try and vary the route as Im finding that large parts of the ride Im
just forgetting or find myself in Fitzroy and cant remember going thru
Kew/collingwood at all (and I aint going flat stick either!). Then
again, i also find I do my best thinking on the bike too. Something
about 'loosening the min up', perhaps?

I take the same roads 95% of the time and often zone out, but I stil
seem to notice stuff that 'isn't quite right' in time to avoid it. Mayb
I'm not as 'zoned out' as I think and I'm just using the ride to thin
through lots of stuff...

I've always thought about taking a dictaphone on my commutes so all th
cool ideas I have aren't forgotten as soon as I rack the bike.. hasn'
happened yet though.. probably just get wind noise and me swearing a
drivers ;-

hipp

-

Old June 17th 04, 01:15 AM
flyingdutch

ritcho wrote:
It sure can happen to anyone - let's all try and be a little more
careful out there. This advice should probably be aimed at myself and
anyone else that rides everyday. It's easy to get a little complacent
when you ride the same commute all the time.
All the best, Ritch

Old June 17th 04, 02:45 AM
amirm

jazmo wrote:
At the risk of making a fool of myself, I thought I'd remind you all to
keep your heads up while riding.
On the morning of Saturday 5th June, I rode into the back of a parked
car (sedan) at speed ~35-40 kph, while riding along the Eplanade in
Brighton - heading towards St Kilda. My head went through the rear
windscreen and I received lacerations to my face, a factured vertebra
(not a serious one) and some ligament damage to my neck. My face is
recovering after having undergone plastic surgery and I need to wear a
neckbrace for the next 6 weeks.
The accident occurred after some sweeping bends along the road just
before the Brighton Baths. I figure I had my head down coming out the
last bend while inpecting the buckle in my rear wheel (as a result of a
broken spoke). I looked up and there was the car.
All up, I've come off pretty lightly considering the nature of
the accident.
I thought I'd let you all know about this because if this sort of
accident can happen to me it can happen to anyone.

Sorry to hear about the accident, and glad that you didn't hurt badly.

Old June 17th 04, 03:29 AM
Unkey Munkey

hippy wrote:
*snip*
I've always thought about taking a dictaphone on my commutes so all the
cool ideas I have aren't forgotten as soon as I rack the bike.. hasn't
happened yet though.. probably just get wind noise and me swearing at
drivers ;-)

hippy

I used to carry a dictaphone in my top pocket for work, and one day I
accidently left it recording whilst I was riding. As per Hippy's
conjecture, the tape was mostly a constant stream of swearing - but
Sydney CBD traffic does bring out the worst in people!

- Munk3y
Old June 17th 04, 03:37 AM
Tamyka Bell

tonykara wrote:

jazmo wrote:
[...]

jeez,

after you mentioned your fall i was thinking minnor bingle he will be
back on the bike next week on the way to St. Andrews. So i guess its
more likely to see you shopping at Bulleen Village than on a bike
anytime soon

All the best

--

Oh crap,

that sucks. I nearly did that in a triathlon once, a little one at
Bribie, there was this horrible girl who kept drafting in the
non-drafting race and she was ****ing me off because she couldn't even
do it gracefully - she was actually faking trying to get past and then
would drop back when a draft buster was approaching and she did it the
whole race. I got mad, put my head down and cranked as hard as I could
and looked up a few seconds later to find myself about a metre from a
parked car. Dodgy little swerve got me clear and I got a nice adrenaline
rush and chased down the chick. Enough about me, you're right it can
happen to anyone, I hope your injuries heal rapidly, all the best!

Old June 17th 04, 04:00 AM
jazmo

hippy wrote:
Originally posted by jazmo On the morning of Saturday 5th June, I rode
into the back of a parked car (sedan) at speed ~35-40 kph

Ow Jaz! I hope you recover fast with little pain.. sounds nasty.
Obligatory: How's the bike?
Well, someone has to ask! ;-)
hippy

Everyone, thanks for your well wishes. I'm well in the road to recovery
now. Can't wait to get this neck brace off.

Hippy, the bike frame is stuffed. It crumpled in exactly the same way as
the bike shown on this site
http://www.willowdesign.com/Whhillow...cycleframe.jpg

There's a nice kink in the top tube and down tube close to the head
tube. There's also a kink on the down tube close to the bottom bracked.
The forks and front wheel look fine. It's just the frame that's ruined.
What are the chances of me being able to get that frame repaired ? ;-).

This bike is of real sentimental value to me and I intend to keep it.

Old June 17th 04, 04:30 AM
jazmo

suzyj wrote:
Originally posted by jazmo:
What are the chances of me being able to get that frame
repaired ? ;-).
This bike is of real sentimental value to me and I intend to keep it.

If it's steel, they're probably pretty good. Tube replacement is simply
a matter of cutting the top and down tubes, then heating the lugs to pop
the stuffed tube ends out, then cleaning it up and putting in new tubes.
Go see a (good) frame builder.
Regards,
Suzy

Thanks for the advice Suzy. I had it built by Cecil Walker cycles (don'
know who the frame builder is) and it's made of Reynolds 653 tubin
(it's 12 years old). I might take the bike back to the shop and see wha
they have to say

-

Old June 17th 04, 05:15 AM
jazmo

Rickster wrote:
jazmo wrote in message
[...]

My man, we saw the aftermath of your crash and we all hoped you were ok.
Glad to hear you areish !!
Rick

I thought I'd let you all know about this because if this sort of
accident can happen to me it can happen to anyone.

--

Rick, are you able to give me a description of the "aftermath". I can'
remember actually hitting the car. I regained consciousness just befor

-

Old June 17th 04, 06:00 AM
flyingdutch

jazmo wrote:
Rick, are you able to give me a description of the "aftermath". I can't
remember actually hitting the car. I regained consciousness just before
the ambos put me in the ambulance.

Whoa, freddy!

you hardcore. I've 'only' broken bones. No loss of consciousness (yet
)

Pretty sure Cecil Walker use Paconi to make all their frames.

i think 653 is fairly 'soft' in comparison to other stuff now.

Should cheer yourself up and use the opportunity to surf bike-porn.
Cue Hippy...

Head Stems xbgs351 Australia 10 June 14th 04 01:46 PM
Head Injuries. Am I right, or have I suffered a few too many Mark Thompson UK 5 April 27th 04 09:38 AM