Mavic 840/841 questions

Old May 18th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James Thomson

Default Mavic 840/841 questions

I have a small collection of Mavic 840 and 841 derailleurs I'd like to press
into service:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/rear...vic_rrder.html

Before I begin experimenting, can anyone suggest the likely capacity (max.
sprocket and max. wrap) for both?

I don't currently own any Mavic indexing levers. Can anyone suggest what
non-Mavic shifters and cassettes might work, and in what combinations?

Finally, there's a little cam with on the derailleur body between the barrel
adjuster and the cable clamp. The cable can pass through a hole in the cam,
or across its curved outer face - the intention was obviously to provide two
indexing options. Can anyone tell me what these two options were?

Thanks.

James Thomson

Old May 18th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2008-05-18, James Thomson wrote:
I have a small collection of Mavic 840 and 841 derailleurs I'd like to press
into service:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/rear...vic_rrder.html

Before I begin experimenting, can anyone suggest the likely capacity (max.
sprocket and max. wrap) for both?

I don't currently own any Mavic indexing levers. Can anyone suggest what
non-Mavic shifters and cassettes might work, and in what combinations?

So long as the shifter and cassette match I don't think it matters much
what derailleur you have (provided it has enough capacity).

Because of the little cam you can possibly even use mis-matched shifter
and cassette with this one.
Old May 18th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2008-05-18, James Thomson wrote:
I have a small collection of Mavic 840 and 841 derailleurs I'd like to press
into service:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/rear...vic_rrder.html

Before I begin experimenting, can anyone suggest the likely capacity (max.
sprocket and max. wrap) for both?

I don't currently own any Mavic indexing levers. Can anyone suggest what
non-Mavic shifters and cassettes might work, and in what combinations?

Finally, there's a little cam with on the derailleur body between the barrel
adjuster and the cable clamp. The cable can pass through a hole in the cam,
or across its curved outer face - the intention was obviously to provide two
indexing options. Can anyone tell me what these two options were?

I would suggest (but wait for someone who knows what he's talking about)
that if you have a matched shifter and cassette-- both Simano 8 speed or
both Campag 9 speed or something-- use the straight path. Otherwise frob
with the cam and see if you can get more gears to work that way.
Old May 18th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Old May 18th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2008-05-18, James Thomson wrote:

I have a small collection of Mavic 840 and 841 derailleurs I'd like to press
into service:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/rear...vic_rrder.html

Before I begin experimenting, can anyone suggest the likely capacity (max.
sprocket and max. wrap) for both?

I don't currently own any Mavic indexing levers. Can anyone suggest what
non-Mavic shifters and cassettes might work, and in what combinations?

So long as the shifter and cassette match I don't think it matters much
what derailleur you have (provided it has enough capacity).

Because of the little cam you can possibly even use mis-matched shifter
and cassette with this one.

I can't figure out a context in which your advice
compiles correctly.

Unfortunately, neither you nor I know the mechanical
advantage of a Mavic derailleur - how much it moves
per cable pull.

Aha, I hadn't though of that.

goes away and reads sheldonbrown

This page: http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3945

explains that newer Shimano derailleurs have a shift ratio of 1.7. Newer
Campag ones have a shift ratio of 1.5.

In that case I reckon the basic point of the cam is so that the Mavic
can either operate with the same mechanical advantage (shift ratio) as
Shimano or as Campag, depending on where you route the cable. It's
probably 1.7 if you go through and 1.5 if you go around (or do I have
that the wrong way round?).

You're still supposed to have a proper matching set of sprockets and
shifters. It doesn't matter how many speeds.

But not knowing the vintage of the Mavic it may be the ratios weren't
1.7 and 1.5 in those days but 1.9 and 1.4 or something...
Old May 19th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On May 18, 6:24*am, "James Thomson" wrote:
I have a small collection of Mavic 840 and 841 derailleurs I'd like to press
into service:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/rear...vic_rrder.html

Before I begin experimenting, can anyone suggest the likely capacity (max.
sprocket and max. wrap) for both?

Probably 26 for the short cage, 30/32 for the long.

I don't currently own any Mavic indexing levers. Can anyone suggest what
non-Mavic shifters and cassettes might work, and in what combinations?

These were compatible with shimano index shifters, all but DA 8s.

Finally, there's a little cam with on the derailleur body between the barrel
adjuster and the cable clamp. The cable can pass through a hole in the cam,
or across its curved outer face - the intention was obviously to provide two
indexing options. Can anyone tell me what these two options were?

7s or 8s

Thanks.

James Thomson

2) Questions / Concerns re. bike components ... for a new bike -Mavic Ksyrium SL/Elite! PedalNut Marketplace 1 February 11th 08 04:41 PM
Mavic rim questions Taka UK 7 December 30th 05 05:33 PM
FS Rare Mavic SSC Jockey pulley pivot bolts (Mavic 851 rear derailleurs) Terry Rudd Marketplace 0 December 21st 04 04:32 AM
Mavic Tubular Helium & Mavic Open Pro wheels, Tires on Ebay [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 8th 04 03:58 AM
wtb: Mavic Reflex or Mavic GP4 tubular rims wanted jeremyb Marketplace 0 November 3rd 04 09:44 PM