replace touring rim

Old May 17th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary[_3_]

Default replace touring rim

I have a 2004 Trek 520 whose front rim will need replacement- It's gone
around 8k-10k miles, and the sidewalls are concave. The wheel has been
perfect and has never had any problems going out of true or breaking spokes,
but it's finally wearing thin. I've built wheels before. I read that it's
easy to obtain the same rim, tape it to the old one, and then transfer the
spokes. That way I can save money by not having to buy spokes. Here are the
problems: 1) Trek doesn't make Bontrager Fairlane rims any more. What's a
good touring rim with the same ERD as the Bontrager Fairlane (I think it's
607)? Also, at this point, are the spokes fatigued enough that I should
replace them? (If I have to get new spokes, then I can build any rim I
want).

Old May 17th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 16, 7:37 pm, "Gary" wrote:
I have a 2004 Trek 520 whose front rim will need replacement- It's gone
around 8k-10k miles, and the sidewalls are concave. The wheel has been
perfect and has never had any problems going out of true or breaking spokes,
but it's finally wearing thin. I've built wheels before. I read that it's
easy to obtain the same rim, tape it to the old one, and then transfer the
spokes. That way I can save money by not having to buy spokes. Here are the
problems: 1) Trek doesn't make Bontrager Fairlane rims any more. What's a
good touring rim with the same ERD as the Bontrager Fairlane (I think it's
607)?

Salsa Delgado looks to be a similar profile at 604mm, so could work if
the spokes are flush with the ends of the insides of the nipples.

Also, at this point, are the spokes fatigued enough that I should
replace them?

Secret sources tell me your spokes are fine.

Old May 17th 08, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On May 16, 5:37 pm, "Gary" wrote:
I have a 2004 Trek 520 whose front rim will need replacement- It's gone
around 8k-10k miles, and the sidewalls are concave. The wheel has been
perfect and has never had any problems going out of true or breaking spokes,
but it's finally wearing thin. I've built wheels before. I read that it's
easy to obtain the same rim, tape it to the old one, and then transfer the
spokes. That way I can save money by not having to buy spokes. Here are the
problems: 1) Trek doesn't make Bontrager Fairlane rims any more. What's a
good touring rim with the same ERD as the Bontrager Fairlane (I think it's
607)? Also, at this point, are the spokes fatigued enough that I should
replace them? (If I have to get new spokes, then I can build any rim I
want).

Maybe look into the Weinmann ZAC-19. Velo-Orange is pushing it as
their 650B rim of choice, and the 700c version has a 607mm ERD.

The Salsa Delgado Cross that Landotter mentioned is an excellent
touring rim - it's what I built the wheels for my Surly with, and they
held up under 300+ lbs of bike+rider+cargo without complaint. But if
you go with something with a smaller ERD, beware the spoke nipples
bottoming out, If you need spokes, I always get them from RBT regular
Dave Ornee. Search ebay for "Sapim" and there they are. Best spoke
deal going.
Old May 17th 08, 07:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Gary wrote:

I have a 2004 Trek 520 whose front rim will need replacement-

problems: 1) Trek doesn't make Bontrager Fairlane rims any more. What's a
good touring rim with the same ERD as the Bontrager Fairlane (I think it's
607)?

According to my cursory research, it looks like the Bontrager Fairlane
has a 604mm ERD.

The Alex DM18 has a published ERD of 606mm. It's a better, stronger
rim than the Fairlane, and it costs so little that it will make you
wonder what's wrong with it.

But there's nothing wrong with it.

http://www.alexrims.com/product_deta...=4&cat=4&id=96
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/RI308A06.aspx
(Note that every specimen I have ever seen is plain matte silver with
single eyelets.)

The Alex Adventurer (another excellent yet inexpensive rim) has an ERD
of 603mm. Its only drawback in my opinion is that it's black with
machined sidewalls.

http://www.alexrims.com/product_deta...=4&cat=4&id=93
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/RI308A07.aspx

Also, at this point, are the spokes fatigued enough that I should
replace them?

Probably not. If no spokes have broken yet, keep them.

Chalo
Old May 17th 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 16, 11:40 pm, Hank wrote:
But if
you go with something with a smaller ERD, beware the spoke nipples
bottoming out,

D'oh. Yeah. I got it backwards when thinking about it and mentioning
"flush". But if they're recessed a mm or two into the nipple, it'll be
good.

They got the Weinmann at Niagra for $22. http://tinyurl.com/6j8kyz
Can't beat that. Just the name makes me wanna put on some crochet
gloves!
Old May 17th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 17, 1:09 am, Chalo wrote:
Gary wrote:

I have a 2004 Trek 520 whose front rim will need replacement-

problems: 1) Trek doesn't make Bontrager Fairlane rims any more. What's a
good touring rim with the same ERD as the Bontrager Fairlane (I think it's
607)?

According to my cursory research, it looks like the Bontrager Fairlane
has a 604mm ERD.

The Alex DM18 has a published ERD of 606mm. It's a better, stronger
rim than the Fairlane, and it costs so little that it will make you
wonder what's wrong with it.

Not a thing! I just shined up the wheel set I built for the doer of
all things that has the DM18s, and the shortcomings for the OP would
be that they're gonna be 100g heavier than the other rims mentioned.
100g stronger as well, so a bonus! A little wider than the rest. I run
30mm IRCs on mine which is a fine combination. If you wanted to run
narrower tires, they're not a good choice. (isn't 30mm narrow?)
Old May 17th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary[_3_]

On Spocalc, the Fairlane is listed as 607. Where did you see it listed as
604? If it's 604, then that greatly changes the choice of rims I can use.
Also, at Jenson, the DM18 was listed as 610. Where did you see it listed as
606?
Thanks - Gary

Old May 17th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On May 17, 8:50 am, "Gary" wrote:
On Spocalc, the Fairlane is listed as 607. Where did you see it listed as
604? If it's 604, then that greatly changes the choice of rims I can use.
Also, at Jenson, the DM18 was listed as 610. Where did you see it listed as
606?

The Alexrims.com website lists the DM18 as 606.4mm ERD.
Old May 17th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 17, 1:03 pm, Hank wrote:
On May 17, 8:50 am, "Gary" wrote:

On Spocalc, the Fairlane is listed as 607. Where did you see it listed as
604? If it's 604, then that greatly changes the choice of rims I can use.
Also, at Jenson, the DM18 was listed as 610. Where did you see it listed as
606?

The Alexrims.com website lists the DM18 as 606.4mm ERD.

The ones you get in the US have eyelets and I used them as a direct
replacement for a Rigida non-eyeletted rim with an ERD of 610mm.
Spokes ended up bang on. I'd say it's a 610, so do a couple other
sites. Alex does a couple different variations of this rims, AFAIK for
different markets, but if you're getting it in North America from QBP,
it'll be 610mm.
Old May 17th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_214_]

Hank Wrote:
On May 17, 8:50 am, "Gary" wrote:
On Spocalc, the Fairlane is listed as 607. Where did you see it

listed as
604? If it's 604, then that greatly changes the choice of rims I can

use.
Also, at Jenson, the DM18 was listed as 610. Where did you see it

listed as
606?

The Alexrims.com website lists the DM18 as 606.4mm ERD.

I built a set based on this quoted ERD of 606.4 mm with good results.
"Good results" to me is when the end of the spoke is within the bounds
of the slot in the nipples. The DM-18 rims I used have eyelets and
there was some variation around the rim, but when completed all spokes
ended up in the "good results" range without changing any spokes.

--
daveornee