Dynohub drag

Old October 22nd 14, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Dynohub drag

LOW SPEEDS around obstacles, unforeseen circumstance....inevitable and unprepared somewhat chancy if not outright dangerous.

In facto from what yawl say here, without knowing the LED response to low dyno outputs...the safety factor rises, in an IC sense, to reg control levels for those unaware...the public's interest is for your safety....trucks have these regs.

Old October 23rd 14, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

Default Gearing for steep hills

On Monday, October 20, 2014 2:05:33 PM UTC-5, Bertrand wrote:

Lowest ratio is 1:1, so you can spin at 90 rpm down to 7 mph. A mortal on a
steep climb (Lincoln Gap - 16%) will be way slower than that. A 150 lb.
rider would need to put out over 400 watts to get 7 mph.

How low is this guy's gearing for a 33% climb?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgIL6eHHgZU
Old October 23rd 14, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default The perfect example of The Krygowski Method of Alienating Peopleand Making Enemies

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:44:14 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:11:07 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/22/2014 1:13 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:51:19 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Walking a commuting bike up 65 widely spaced stairs for 100 yards in the

dark _is_ an unusual need, Jay. It's unusual even in Portland. What

percentage of Portland cycling commuters do you think really do that?

Who knows? I could take these stairs and cut a half mile off my climb, and they're probably a quarter mile long. http://tinyurl.com/ppj3zze

My trail stairs are pretty tame. http://tinyurl.com/nknst5q And I see plenty of wheel ruts, and I had to race some CXers up the stairs one night.. So, I'm not alone.

I could commute through River View Natural Area if I wanted. http://bikeportland.org/2013/11/06/g...769#more-96769 -- which also includes a little hiking. A lot of cyclist take these stairs -- or the elevator. http://tinyurl.com/mz3gw4r It's a connector to a major bicycle commute route. http://tinyurl.com/k9qwrqe
http://tinyurl.com/mkyvbx5

So, to answer your question, I assume that plenty of commuters encounter stairs -- or situations where you have to walk.

Climbing is also something most people living on the West Coast do

by necessity -- including everyone living on the close-in westside of

Portland. Good low speed light output is not an unusual need.

Climbing is something bicyclists in my area do by necessity, too. I

know several bike commuters in my suburban area, and almost all of them

have to climb out of the area's river valley to get home from work, just

as I did. Climbing is also something done by randonneurs and tourists.

You don't seem to believe that those of us with dynamo lights actually

do these things! Please, discard the Scharfian myths that claim

everything east of the Rockies is dead flat.

That's fine. I just prefer not climbing in the dark -- or near dark.

Anecdote alert: My wife and I are Warm Showers hosts. We've hosted

quite a few touring cyclists over the years. One couple retired in the

San Francisco area, then headed east to Maine by bike. When they got to

Maine, they decided they were having so much fun they'd keep going,

heading to a friend in Texas, via Ohio. They contacted us, and we said

sure, they could spend a night here.

When they arrived here, they were absolutely beat. They informed us

that after crossing the U.S., then heading from Maine to Ohio, they

never had hills kill them like the ones in Western PA did. The hills

within, oh, maybe 40 miles of my house. Hell, there's a hill about 7
miles from my house that few members of our bike club could climb

without walking. I'm pretty sure I can no longer climb it, despite low

gearing (24 front, 34 rear), although I used to with higher gears.

Now imagine doing that hill with a dimming front headlight, wondering if a car is going to come around the hair pin and whack you. That's my issue going up the little goat road in to my neighborhood -- the road that those cement stairs bisect.

Every place has a hill somewhere. I've ridden across the US, too -- including the Appalachia and Ozarks. The mountains east of the Rockies are like doing hill repeats -- lots of climbing but no significant elevation gain. I wouldn't want to be creeping over those roads in near darkness. IMO, the Sierra are harder -- heat and elevation and steep climbs. http://adventuresonabike.com/2009/10...g-sonora-pass/

All very nice. Except that when walking your bike up a wooded path as
part of a bike commute, "not being alone" is far from being in any way
common or normal; and it doesn't show that "plenty" of others do that.
It's very unusual.

And for almost all of us who use them, climbing or riding at low speed
does not mean our dynamo headlights are out, or even very dim. We
simply don't have the problems generated by your oddball route and
unfortunate headlight choice.

It's a shame. You went for maximum lumens, rather than maximum practicality.

BTW, I don't see the dangerous overhanging branches.

--
- Frank Krygowski

You're really becoming very smarmy Frank.

just because you don't do something doesn't mean it's not common. What it might mean is that a lot of people riding like Jay simply don't post about it.

Every time you (Frank) disagree with someone you soon become very disparaging.

That one comment on another thread where you speciffically mentioned Duane was a classic example of trolling - making a comment intended to provoke.

Cheers

This is the perfect example of The Krygowski Method of Alienating People and Making Enemies.

Krygowski is suck a permanent ****up, if he tried to make enemies, he'd make friends instead. What we're seeing is Krygowski trying to be a "spokesman for bicycles", and instead persauding everyone that whatever he says, it's safer to do the diametrically opposed opposite.

Feel sorry for Franki-boy: you could have been born such a perfect jerk as he.

Andre Jute
How can one guy go so wrong in so many ways?
Old January 21st 15, 06:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe[_3_]

And here we have a troll accusing someone else
of being difficult to get along with...

--

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:41:01 -0700 (PDT)
References: afcfb1f0-069d-4248-9f05-e20303972961 googlegroups.com d326ea0b-1063-4859-a14a-a0cba0464075 googlegroups.com fO-dnaPzDuCPyNzJnZ2dnUVZ8mudnZ2d brightview.co.uk 10691212-d3d8-499a-a8de-c9526010fbe7 googlegroups.com m1shj8$bar$1 dont-email.me 8ab98897-8cbb-4217-a2ad-675b00af0162 googlegroups.com m1uct8$nt6$1 dont-email.me 270100ab-df96-4427-bf13-c14fc16353f7 googlegroups.com m1uqth$56u$1 dont-email.me 636bef07-8d77-4a0b-8f4b-d183b96fd01c googlegroups.com m20qkg$ajc$1 dont-email.me f1431042-33d1-4417-9087-44fbd284e163 googlegroups.com a07c0ffe-f64d-4a1f-81af-a75af8bd96ab googlegroups.com m21pub$rg8$1 dont-email.me b087a836-cb31-4f5f-9837-35c0c08c496f googlegroups.com m24fmg$hcf$1 dont-email.me 3c76b1e4-3404-4eb6-b426-27e931a759b5 googlegroups.com m25vf8$jnj$1 dont-email.me e89c88d3-89bd-4c6a-8b8c-d81f7fbb1e87 googlegroups.com m26o10$fsa$1 dont-email.me 785521cb-27dc-4e29-a684-fc514b20e0de googlegroups.com m28he3$ere$1 dont-email.me c0e4f649-0106-41ac-bade-c6d92dba9771 googlegroups.com
From: Andre Jute fiultra1 yahoo.com

?

ikeportland.org/2013/11/06/go-off-road-in-river-view-natural-area-96769#more-96769 -- which also includes a little hiking. A lot of cyclist take these stairs -- or the elevator. http://tinyurl.com/mz3gw4r It's a connector to a major bicycle commute route. http://tinyurl.com/k9qwrqe

Old February 9th 15, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser...february-6-14/

dynohub repack? Nate Nagel[_2_] Techniques 22 October 20th 09 10:39 PM
Sturmey Dynohub: Instructions? (PeteCresswell) Techniques 0 February 22nd 08 07:40 PM
Shimano dynohub Paul Boyd UK 25 January 13th 06 12:25 PM
SA GH6 dynohub axle replacement gregory Techniques 4 August 28th 05 10:46 PM
Dynohub + LED lance house Techniques 58 September 12th 04 01:40 PM