Nice bit of American bicycling history

Old January 23rd 19, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Nice bit of American bicycling history

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 4:00:38 PM UTC, sms wrote:
On 1/22/2019 4:07 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Gravel riding. Portland, for example, has the best gravel bikes in the world. https://breadwinnercycles.com/product/b-road/#frame People from Honduras are killing each other to get one of those Breadwinners. Here they are, sneaking int Portland the back way: https://ridewithgps.com/photos/961829/large.jpg

LOL, interesting theory, but wrong. The reason is Cupertino, because of
the great mayor they have.

Is this a shy way of telling us you've been hung with the chain of office, Scharfie? If so, congratulations.

Andre Jute
What next, governor?
Old January 23rd 19, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 08:00:33 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 1/22/2019 4:07 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Gravel riding. Portland, for example, has the best gravel bikes in the world. https://breadwinnercycles.com/product/b-road/#frame People from Honduras are killing each other to get one of those Breadwinners. Here they are, sneaking int Portland the back way: https://ridewithgps.com/photos/961829/large.jpg

LOL, interesting theory, but wrong. The reason is Cupertino, because of
the great mayor they have.

https://www.cupertino.org/our-city/c...ouncil-members

There is a photo of the present mayor... who appears in the photo to
be somewhat over weight... probably not a bicycle rider.

Cheers,
John B.

Old January 24th 19, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 08:06:49 -0800, sms wrote:

On 1/22/2019 7:07 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Too many bicycles in Portland. I passed some guy on my way home who
yelled that I should call out a pass. Why? Do cars call out passes.
You ride straight. I go by. Done. I wanted to say "you've just been
passed by some decrepit old guy. You need to quit whining and work on
your fitness." I was crawling home into a howling wind up hill, so
it's not like I was going 100mph. I think he had about four helmet
mirrors, so I don't know what additional information yelling would have
provided.

This will solve your problem:
https://docs.google.com/document/

d/1lQzqFe5Uh37CxncGwUAuxDb2IEJnktzBHtSS478uvpg

I have this setup on the bicycle I use to go to the store. It's mounted
under the front Porteur rack, fairly concealed. A few honks on this and
that millenial that was complaining about you will no longer be
complaining.

Sadly, not over here on a shared facility(about all). If you fail to use
a device to warn them you're coming, you get abused. Use a device to let
them know your passing and they jump right in front ready to become a
bicycle rack.

Old January 24th 19, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 8:00:38 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 1/22/2019 4:07 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Gravel riding. Portland, for example, has the best gravel bikes in the world. https://breadwinnercycles.com/product/b-road/#frame People from Honduras are killing each other to get one of those Breadwinners. Here they are, sneaking int Portland the back way: https://ridewithgps.com/photos/961829/large.jpg

LOL, interesting theory, but wrong. The reason is Cupertino, because of
the great mayor they have.

Awesome. You need an anthem! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJLQfOQbtyE&t=37s

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 24th 19, 09:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

I prefer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AIAKVst7jw&t=21s.
Old January 24th 19, 09:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 3:59:25 AM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 8:00:38 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 1/22/2019 4:07 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Gravel riding. Portland, for example, has the best gravel bikes in the world. https://breadwinnercycles.com/product/b-road/#frame People from Honduras are killing each other to get one of those Breadwinners. Here they are, sneaking int Portland the back way: https://ridewithgps.com/photos/961829/large.jpg

LOL, interesting theory, but wrong. The reason is Cupertino, because of
the great mayor they have.

Awesome. You need an anthem! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJLQfOQbtyE&t=37s

-- Jay Beattie.

+1

Andre Jute
Hallelujah

Old January 24th 19, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 6:54:11 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/22/2019 6:52 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 12:55:20 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 1:22:24 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/22/2019 10:19 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 10:25:14 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Around here anything that isn't covered is stolen. Stop at a stop sign and if the pedestrian likes what he sees he simply picks if off as you're pushing away not paying attention to your load.

Why don't you move out of that place?

- Frank Krygowski

move out of the USA? really?

I live in the USA and I've traveled through most of it. I've never
experienced "anything that isn't covered" being stolen, nor have I
experienced anyone plucking things off my bike, car, person or
whatever.

If Tom does experience that stuff, he should quit complaining and
move to a different part of the USA.

- Frank Krygowski

In San Francisco they had to take bike lanes off of some streets because every car down an entire row would have a side window broken out and anything inside stolen. On a normal car you can hide things in the trunk but everyone now drives SOVs that so everything is visible.

Look - Seattle and Portland used to be the most beautiful cities in the entire country. Now with the liberal policies there's feces in the doorways when people arrive to open their businesses. There are hypodermics everywhere on the streets and you can't let children walk next to you - you have to carry them. There are homeless encampments everywhere and there are entire neighborhoods where the advertising and business signs are all in Spanish. You can call some guy a MFer and he doesn't even know what you're saying..

Nations came into being for a reason - there were people with common language, common attitudes and common goals. If you think that the US has EVER been a melting pot you're wrong. It takes two to three generations for a new group to become American. And they sure as hell can't do that if they go so their own schools.

There used to be open space between all of the towns around the San Francisco Bay. Now it is one continuous city. I can ride all the way around and the only semi-open space is the Bay Trail and most of that is paved except for openings where someone managed to build apartments down to the waterfront. Even out into it. The marinas are being shut down because the land is too valuable to politicians who can get more taxes from housing and can excuse it as building more housing for an area without enough housing.

Such rambling!

FWIW, I've been to Portland many, many times and never saw the horrors
you describe. I know people who still live there and others who visit
from time to time. They never mention such horrors either.

But if you're so miserable where you live (which is, I gather, the SF
area) then why live there? You're retired - or maybe just unemployed.
You certainly don't have to stay there for your job.

One poster here used to accuse me of living in Mayberry. I don't,
really; but I'm very happy about living where I do. You could find
someplace similar, I'm sure.

--
- Frank Krygowski

And you don't look.
Old January 24th 19, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 1/22/2019 6:52 PM, wrote:
[...]

I call out passes on people that don't look like they know how to ride or pass them far enough away that they don't swerve into me.
Old January 24th 19, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 06:06:15 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

There is a photo of the present mayor... who appears in the photo to
be somewhat over weight... probably not a bicycle rider.

When I belonged to a bicycle club, one of our strongest riders came to
the Halloween party wearing an orange T-shirt with a jack-o-lantern
face drawn on it.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old January 24th 19, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 1/24/2019 1:10 AM, sms wrote:
On 1/23/2019 7:59 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 8:00:38 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 1/22/2019 4:07 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Gravel riding. Portland, for example, has the best gravel bikes in
the world. https://breadwinnercycles.com/product/b-road/#frame
People from Honduras are killing each other to get one of those
Breadwinners.Â* Here they are, sneaking int Portland the back way:
https://ridewithgps.com/photos/961829/large.jpg

LOL, interesting theory, but wrong. The reason is Cupertino, because of
the great mayor they have.

Awesome.Â* You need an anthem!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJLQfOQbtyE&t=37s

-- Jay Beattie.

I prefer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AIAKVst7jw&t=21s.

How about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCgHRhHhBAU ?

Mark J.

MTB history film on TV Robert Norton UK 1 March 31st 09 12:35 AM
Nice bicycling article in Washington Post Frank Krygowski[_2_] General 8 August 7th 08 02:47 AM
Unicycle History anam Unicycling 15 August 30th 07 08:30 AM
stand up ww history wowunicycle Unicycling 0 September 5th 05 08:11 PM
History Dave W Mountain Biking 1 July 25th 05 04:15 AM