Someone finally took my crappy bike

Old July 6th 05, 01:33 PM
dgk

Default Someone finally took my crappy bike

When I first started biking again (after a 30 year hiatus) it was
because a Roadway 630 or something came with my house. I had it fixed
up and used it enough to realize that I wanted a new bike. So, I
brought the Roadway into the big city and used it during lunch and
after work to bike around Manhattan. I kept it locked to a subway gate
at the Fashion Institute of Technology near where I work. There is an
overhang so it was protected from the elements. I stopped using it
about October of 2003 because I started bringing in a new bike most of
the time. It sat, protected by two cheap cable locks, for almost two
years. No one would take it. I felt really bad about leaving it as it
became an eyesore. Plus I parked my new bike a few yards away almost
every day so I would look at it and see how lonely it was.

Well, I finally decided to do something about it, only to discover
that I could no longer find the keys to the cable locks. Last week I
borrowed really big heavy clippers from my building super and clipped
and removed both cables. The bike was still there, unlocked for
several days, as of last Friday.

Yesterday I parked my bike and the old one was gone. Someone finally
took it away. Hopefully I will see it someday cruising down 7th
Avenue. Goodbye Roadway, thanks for rekindling my love of biking.