Do you use a mirror and which type?

Old June 2nd 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

Default Do you use a mirror and which type?

On Jun 2, 10:54 am, R Brickston rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@ wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 13:51:48 -0000, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
On Jun 2, 7:15 am, "Pete Derkowski" wrote:
According to the drawing at the top of the home page, it looks like it would
be opitonal - they show an arrro pointing both ways.

I gave the drawings a cursory glance on my way to the photos. I missed
the detail the leds. Thanks for setting me straight.

I had heard about a frame mounted mirror, but hadn't seen one. Now I've
got something to look into. :-)

FWIW, I use a Zefal Cyclop on my errand/utility bike, the one bike I
regularly use in relatively high traffic areas. It works great, IME/O;
good field of vision, no problem with vibration. Here's a link from
Zefal:

http://tinyurl.com/2wwx7p

Uhh...I don't think that's the right link.

Should be:

http://tinyurl.com/2wxx7p

and then click on 'Cyclop' on the left.

Old June 3rd 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

Pat wrote:
Even with a mirror....I turn my head and look. The mirror gives me
advance
knowledge and an overall view of what's behind, but that look happens
right
before the turn...as a backup and as a good habit.

It's even a good idea to do regular right shoulder checks, especially
before stopping or leaving a stop.

I have practiced and practiced that, but I still swerve to the left a bit
every time...right into traffic.

Me too, and I've been bike commuting and touring now for perhaps
15 years!

I think it's good policy to take a quick glance astern before
swinging out into the road, but I still swing a bit left,
especially when space is tight (or perhaps I'm just more
sensitive to the swing when space is tight).

That's why I think a rear view mirror is really essential for
anyone riding the road regularly. It helps keep your situation
awareness up to date more easily than constant checks rearward.

I doubt a rear view mirror will save your life when riding the
road, but it certainly aids in easier decision-making on when
to be more assertive in the lane and when you can defer to the
autos coming up behind.

SMH

how to install bar end mirror (mtb type handle bars)? John Q. Public Techniques 3 October 19th 06 03:31 AM
Mirror Russell UK 48 March 16th 06 11:14 PM
Mirror, mirror, on the bar... SteppenW Australia 27 February 20th 06 02:35 AM
a new mirror Paul Nevai Techniques 12 September 23rd 04 02:44 AM
Mirror? Nartker General 3 May 19th 04 06:41 AM