Broken Uni. How to fix it before passing it off to a friend?

Old October 12th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Connahhh

Default Broken Uni. How to fix it before passing it off to a friend?

I was jumping down a 3 set today and bent the wheel really badly. I was
planning on passing it off to a friend, but I need to at least sort of
fix it for him. Should I just hammer it back into place? Or is there a
better way?

--
Connahhh
Old October 12th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jtrops

Any repair is going to take some skill with wheels. If it is a cheap
wheel it might be cheaper to replace than to pay someone to fix; and, if
it a decent wheel you will probably be replacing the rim anyway.

How is it bent? If it is taco'd you can fix it to some degree by
un-lacing it, straightening the rim, and re-lacing the wheel. If you
have a flat spot in the rim you will need a special tool that pulls the
flat spot out.

If it is so "bent" that it won't turn in the frame your best solution
is to replace the rim, and maybe the spokes.

--
jtrops
Old October 12th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

Connahhh;1111860 wrote:
I was jumping down a 3 set today and bent the wheel really badly. I was
planning on passing it off to a friend, but I need to at least sort of
fix it for him. Should I just hammer it back into place? Or is there a
better way?

uhh... Post some pictures, they would help a lot.

re true it? do what you said?

seriously post up some pictures, its hard to make a guess on how to fix
it if we dont know how its bent.

Is it like thrown out of true really badly? Or does the rim have a flat
spot?

--
unibikeling
Old October 12th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Connahhh

Ill post pictures when I get home. I was sidehopping down the stairs,
one at a time. I got to the bottom on a bigger bounce, felt the uni bend
sideways, and jumped off and it quickly went back into place. I sort of
shrugged it off and went to hop back up and on a big prehop it just bent
underneath me. The rim of the wheel is bent badly in one spot, so if I
were to pick up the uni and only spin the wheel you can watch it wiggle
and one spot is off by an inch or two.

Hopefully that helps until I can get pictures.

--
Connahhh
Old October 12th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

If it is bent that bad you probably won't be able to make it perfect
again but you should be able to get it ridable again with just a spoke
wrench.

I wouldn't worry about doing a great job at it, just tighten the spokes
on the side the rim needs to go to. If you are worried about roundness
you should loosen the spokes on the other side as well but the spokes
are most likely stretched.

After a while the rim may bend back into shape with time and repeated
trueings but I would not count on it.

--
saskatchewanian
Old October 12th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Connahhh

Sounds like a plan, Eric. Thanks.

--
Connahhh