Change Air In Tires

Old July 3rd 05, 04:31 AM
Rick Ankrum

Default Change Air In Tires

8-)

With all the talk of greenhouse gases I am concerned with having tired
air in my bike tubes. How long can I can go between evacuating the air
and putting new air in? I am afraid that the air molecules will all be
pushed to the outer edge of the tire if I do not evacuate the tubes on a
regular basis. This could cause the tire to put too much weight on the
road and thus I am not be able to get at top speed quickly.

Does tapping on the tread move the molecules back into the center of the
tube?

9-)

Old July 3rd 05, 04:53 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Rick Ankrum" wrote: (clip) Does tapping on the tread move the molecules
back into the center of the tube?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you ride on rough pavement occasionally, that is equivalent to tapping on
the tread--maybe even better--so you should have nothing to worry about.

Old July 3rd 05, 05:11 AM
Fritz M

Leo Lichtman wrote:
If you ride on rough pavement occasionally, that is equivalent to tapping on
the tread--maybe even better--so you should have nothing to worry about.

I would think the centripetal force of the rotating tire might overcome
any "jostling" of the molecules that comes from riding on rough
pavement. Is Jobst available to do an engineering analysis of this
important problem?

RFM

Old July 3rd 05, 07:18 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Fritz M" wrote: I would think the centripetal force of the rotating tire
might overcome any "jostling" of the molecules that comes from riding on
rough pavement. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There could be some effect of centripetal force (or centrifugal force,
depending on how "sophisticated" you want to sound,) but please bear in mind
that the portion of the tire at the bottom, where the jostling is taking
place is STATIONARY. There must be some degree of roughness at which the
rotational forces equal the mixing forces. For higher roughness, the air
would remain mixed, and for lower roughness, segregation would progress.

Old July 3rd 05, 03:17 PM
Bill Sornson

Rick Ankrum wrote:
8-)

With all the talk of greenhouse gases I am concerned with having tired
air in my bike tubes. How long can I can go between evacuating the air
and putting new air in? I am afraid that the air molecules will all be
pushed to the outer edge of the tire if I do not evacuate the tubes
on a regular basis. This could cause the tire to put too much weight on
the
road and thus I am not be able to get at top speed quickly.

Does tapping on the tread move the molecules back into the center of
the tube?

No, because of moisture (condensation). I rigged up a "talcum injection
system" to my floor pump to prevent this very problem. No more bits of air
stuck to the inside of MY tubes, TYVM.

(I'm working on a portable version for those roadside flats; also keeps
one's pits baby fresh.)

Bill "clean 'n dry" S.

Old July 3rd 05, 04:35 PM
di

"Rick Ankrum" wrote in message
8-)

With all the talk of greenhouse gases I am concerned with having tired air
in my bike tubes. How long can I can go between evacuating the air and
putting new air in? I am afraid that the air molecules will all be pushed
to the outer edge of the tire if I do not evacuate the tubes on a regular
basis. This could cause the tire to put too much weight on the road and
thus I am not be able to get at top speed quickly.

Does tapping on the tread move the molecules back into the center of the
tube?

This is the very reason why I use tubeless tires.

Old July 3rd 05, 04:43 PM
di

"Rick Ankrum" wrote in message
8-)

With all the talk of greenhouse gases I am concerned with having tired air
in my bike tubes. How long can I can go between evacuating the air and
putting new air in? I am afraid that the air molecules will all be pushed
to the outer edge of the tire if I do not evacuate the tubes on a regular
basis. This could cause the tire to put too much weight on the road and
thus I am not be able to get at top speed quickly.

One thing to remember when changing the air in your tires. When all the
molecules are pushed to the outer edge of the tire, it doesn't do any good
to let the air out of the valve stem because there is no air there. You
must poke a hole in the tire to get it all out.

Old July 3rd 05, 07:38 PM
Bill Sornson

di wrote:
"Rick Ankrum" wrote in message
8-)

With all the talk of greenhouse gases I am concerned with having
tired air in my bike tubes. How long can I can go between evacuating
the air and putting new air in? I am afraid that the air molecules
will all be pushed to the outer edge of the tire if I do not
evacuate the tubes on a regular basis. This could cause the tire to
put too much weight on the road and thus I am not be able to get at
top speed quickly. Does tapping on the tread move the molecules back into
the center of
the tube?

This is the very reason why I use tubeless tires.

Poor deluded innocent. They use air, too, you know.

Bill "PS: it's 'tubless' in Usenet" S.

{sarcams mode off}

Old July 3rd 05, 09:14 PM
di

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
di wrote:
"Rick Ankrum" wrote in message
8-)

With all the talk of greenhouse gases I am concerned with having
tired air in my bike tubes. How long can I can go between evacuating
the air and putting new air in? I am afraid that the air molecules
will all be pushed to the outer edge of the tire if I do not
evacuate the tubes on a regular basis. This could cause the tire to
put too much weight on the road and thus I am not be able to get at
top speed quickly. Does tapping on the tread move the molecules back
into the center of
the tube?

This is the very reason why I use tubeless tires.

Poor deluded innocent. They use air, too, you know.

Bill "PS: it's 'tubless' in Usenet" S.

{sarcams mode off}

yea, but there some unknown factor that keeps the air molecules in motion
eliminating them from gathering on the outside of the tire or is it tyre on
the Usenet. My spell checker is not Usenet savvy, it says tubeless, must
return it to Microsoft for updates someday.

Old July 3rd 05, 10:04 PM
Rick Ankrum

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Fritz M" wrote: I would think the centripetal force of the rotating tire
might overcome any "jostling" of the molecules that comes from riding on
rough pavement. (clip)
There could be some effect of centripetal force (or centrifugal force,
depending on how "sophisticated" you want to sound,) but please bear in mind
that the portion of the tire at the bottom, where the jostling is taking
place is STATIONARY. There must be some degree of roughness at which the
rotational forces equal the mixing forces. For higher roughness, the air
would remain mixed, and for lower roughness, segregation would progress.

Are you saying my miles on the trainer(with a smooth roller) would
extend the time period between air evacuation events?