53 gears?

Old July 4th 05, 06:00 PM
Ken M

Default 53 gears?

A while back I thought I saw a webpage that was somewhere, and I
thought it mentioned a bicycle with 53 gears or something like that!
Does anyone know about this bike? It's to settle a bet between me and
my dumb brother.

Ken

Old July 4th 05, 06:32 PM

A while back I thought I saw a webpage that was somewhere, and I
thought it mentioned a bicycle with 53 gears or something like that!
Does anyone know about this bike? It's to settle a bet between me and
my dumb brother.

You can put a derailer gears on a Sturmley/Archer internal gear hub. I
think there are a few manufactured that way. 3 * 10 * 7 = 210 gears.

Old July 4th 05, 06:34 PM
lowkey

"Ken M" wrote in message
oups.com...
A while back I thought I saw a webpage that was somewhere, and I
thought it mentioned a bicycle with 53 gears or something like that!
Does anyone know about this bike? It's to settle a bet between me and
my dumb brother.

Uh.... 53 is a prime number.

--
'The only way Ricky is going to get any smarter
is if he dies and comes back as a turnip.'

Old July 4th 05, 06:34 PM
Brian Huntley

Ken M wrote:
A while back I thought I saw a webpage that was somewhere, and I
thought it mentioned a bicycle with 53 gears or something like that!
Does anyone know about this bike? It's to settle a bet between me and
my dumb brother.

Sheldon Brown has a 63-speed: http://sheldonbrown.org/otb.html

Fifty-three would be a bit of a trick - that's a prime number, so it
would have to be 53 sprockets on one axle.

Old July 4th 05, 06:38 PM
The Wogster

Ken M wrote:
A while back I thought I saw a webpage that was somewhere, and I
thought it mentioned a bicycle with 53 gears or something like that!
Does anyone know about this bike? It's to settle a bet between me and
my dumb brother.

Ken

I think that Sheldon brown had something like that, I think it was
actually 63 it was a 7 sprocket rear, a 3 speed Hub and a 3 speed
chainring... 7 x 3 x 3 is 63. Considering that you can now find 12
speed hubs, 10 sprocket cassettes, and 3 sprocket chainrings, the
maximum now would be closer to 360 gears. To overstate the way over
obvious, shifting would be a bear..... Does this shifdt give us 247 or
162?

Old July 4th 05, 06:46 PM
Arthur Harris

"Ken M" wrote:
A while back I thought I saw a webpage that was somewhere, and I
thought it mentioned a bicycle with 53 gears or something like that!
Does anyone know about this bike? It's to settle a bet between me and
my dumb brother.

A 53 tooth chainring perhaps? I'm with your brother on this!

Art Harris

Old July 4th 05, 07:09 PM
Ken M

Yeah but that link is the one that I remember seeing, I just couldn't
remember exactly how many gears it had! My brother think it's stupid.
Well I just had to find it to prove to him that it does exist(sp)!

Ken

Old July 4th 05, 07:27 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:38:03 -0400, The Wogster wrote:

Ken M wrote:
A while back I thought I saw a webpage that was somewhere, and I
thought it mentioned a bicycle with 53 gears or something like that!
Does anyone know about this bike? It's to settle a bet between me and
my dumb brother.

Ken

I think that Sheldon brown had something like that, I think it was
actually 63 it was a 7 sprocket rear, a 3 speed Hub and a 3 speed
chainring... 7 x 3 x 3 is 63.

I believe this is right. By the way, a 53-gear bike would be difficult to
arrange, since 53 is a prime number.

Considering that you can now find 12
speed hubs, 10 sprocket cassettes, and 3 sprocket chainrings, the
maximum now would be closer to 360 gears.

Well, you can't mate that 10-sprocket cassette to a 12-speed hub, anyway.
But it's worse than that. There are 14-speed hubs (Rohloff), 4-chainring
cranks (for tandems), as well as 2-speed internal gears for cranks, though
I don't think you could mate anything like all these together. The
Rholoff hub seems to have a threaded sprocket, unlike the Shimano which is
a splined sprocket held on with a spring-clip. This might mean that the
hub could accomodate a freewheel. Let's be conservative and only assume
you could squeeze in a 5-speed freewheel. That would allow

14 x 5 x 4 =280 gears,

but a more reasonable estimate would be with a double chainring, still
giving 140....

--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is
_`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

Old July 4th 05, 08:07 PM
wafflycat

"Ken M" wrote in message
oups.com...
A while back I thought I saw a webpage that was somewhere, and I
thought it mentioned a bicycle with 53 gears or something like that!
Does anyone know about this bike? It's to settle a bet between me and
my dumb brother.

Ken

Met a couple on a recumbent tandem.. the thing had over 80 gears!

Cheers, helen s

Old July 4th 05, 09:16 PM
Bob

wafflycat wrote:

Met a couple on a recumbent tandem.. the thing had over 80 gears!

Cheers, helen s

We already knew bent riders are odd. ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

how many gears? Ken Marcet General 45 April 5th 05 02:32 PM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
Advantages of Higher and Lower Gears? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 21 April 3rd 04 06:13 AM
newbie bike question - how to tell if bike chain is worn too much Stephen Australia 7 November 28th 03 01:14 AM
Usable gears on 53,39 x 25,12 9 speed? Mike S. Techniques 4 September 27th 03 02:05 PM