Vitus 979: Removing Cranks and Bottom Bracket?

Old October 24th 16, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Vitus 979: Removing Cranks and Bottom Bracket?

The cranks have "Shimano 600" printed on them.

-- Will a universal crank puller like the ones sold for a few dollars on eBay work? Or do I need a Shimano crank puller like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealey-BC020...AOSwAuZX1vx s ? Or do I need something else?

-- The Vitus has a cup and cone crank. Can I put new bearings in? If so what are the important specs on the bearing to search for them on eBay? Or how does one proceed with a rebuild of the bottom bracket?

Thank you for any help. I bought this bike in 1987 brand new. I have not ridden this too much in the last ten years but am now enjoying it regularly again. It's a little creaky at the bottom bracket, and I would at least like to inspect down there, if it's at all possible.
Old October 24th 16, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/24/2016 4:51 PM, wrote:
The cranks have "Shimano 600" printed on them.

-- Will a universal crank puller like the ones sold for a few dollars on eBay work? Or do I need a Shimano crank puller like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealey-BC020...AOSwAuZX1vx s ? Or do I need something else?

-- The Vitus has a cup and cone crank. Can I put new bearings in? If so what are the important specs on the bearing to search for them on eBay? Or how does one proceed with a rebuild of the bottom bracket?

Thank you for any help. I bought this bike in 1987 brand new. I have not ridden this too much in the last ten years but am now enjoying it regularly again. It's a little creaky at the bottom bracket, and I would at least like to inspect down there, if it's at all possible.

Any standard 22mm crank remover, cheap at any LBS.

A 1987 600 double spindle is 113mm symmetric if I recall but
you could certainly measure it. If it's the original part,
Shimano stamped the dimensions on spindles in that era.

Symmetric cartridge BB sets are plentiful and cheap.
Asymmetric less so.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 25th 16, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

http://www.ebay..com/itm/Sealey-BC02...AOSwAuZX1vx s ? Or do I need something else?

-- The Vitus has a cup and cone crank. Can I put new bearings in? If so what are the important specs on the bearing to search for them on eBay? Or how does one proceed with a rebuild of the bottom bracket?

Thank you for any help. I bought this bike in 1987 brand new. I have not ridden this too much in the last ten years but am now enjoying it regularly again. It's a little creaky at the bottom bracket, and I would at least like to inspect down there, if it's at all possible.

Any standard 22mm crank remover, cheap at any LBS.

A 1987 600 double spindle is 113mm symmetric if I recall but
you could certainly measure it. If it's the original part,
Shimano stamped the dimensions on spindles in that era.

Symmetric cartridge BB sets are plentiful and cheap.
Asymmetric less so.

Andrew, what 1/4" loose bearings do you use -- grade and material? He says its a loose ball BB. I don't think the 1987 600 EX used cartridge bearings, but he certainly could use a UN-whatever (91?) if he wanted.

-- Jay Beattie
Old October 25th 16, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/24/2016 4:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

Right, it probably has loose balls or 9-ball retainers now
but once he knows the spindle dimensions he can decide which
to use.

We use Grade 25 Chrome Steel balls, mostly because we're
picky and in any reasonable quantity they aren't all that
expensive.

A quality 11-ball retainer (Campagnolo, Sugino, etc) is
handy to install with no performance or longevity downside.

Old October 25th 16, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 2:51:47 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The cranks have "Shimano 600" printed on them.

-- Will a universal crank puller like the ones sold for a few dollars on eBay work? Or do I need a Shimano crank puller like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealey-BC020...AOSwAuZX1vx s ? Or do I need something else?

-- The Vitus has a cup and cone crank. Can I put new bearings in? If so what are the important specs on the bearing to search for them on eBay? Or how does one proceed with a rebuild of the bottom bracket?

Thank you for any help. I bought this bike in 1987 brand new. I have not ridden this too much in the last ten years but am now enjoying it regularly again. It's a little creaky at the bottom bracket, and I would at least like to inspect down there, if it's at all possible.

You also need BB tools -- lock ring spanner, pin tool and, maybe, fixed cup remover. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2724161...3&rmv SB=true Not these, but something like them to get into the BB.

You would be better off having it serviced or removed by a local shop. Skip buying tools for a dead technology (the fixed cup may be tough to remove with a cheap BB wrench in any event). Get a cartridge bearing and the inexpensive tool to go with it. Incroyable, a NOS UN71 for $100. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2721921...&ul_noapp=true Screw that! Something like this would do: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-bb-u...ritish-thread/ Its symetrical, though, and may not look as swanky as the original. Tange makes a suitable replacement, too.

Or enter the modern era. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTQwMFgxNjAw/z/3OEAAOSwNyFWgNqN/$_35.JPG

-- Jay Beattie
Old October 25th 16, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/24/2016 8:46 PM, jbeattie wrote:

You would be better off having it serviced or removed by a local shop. Skip buying tools for a dead technology...

Agreed. Unless, say, you've got a fleet of older bikes and a desire to
learn bike mechanics.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 25th 16, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 9:34:15 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/24/2016 8:46 PM, jbeattie wrote:

You would be better off having it serviced or removed by a local shop. Skip buying tools for a dead technology...

Agreed. Unless, say, you've got a fleet of older bikes and a desire to
learn bike mechanics.

Which reminds me of another option -- the local bike co-op. https://www.pdx.edu/bikehub/self-service-repair http://www.bikefarm.org/ We have a bunch of these places.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie
Old October 25th 16, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

-- Will a universal crank puller like the ones sold for a few dollars on eBay work? Or do I need a Shimano crank puller like this: http://www.ebay..com/itm/Sealey-BC02...AOSwAuZX1vx s ? Or do I need something else?

[...]

Usually a bottom bracket that has been in so long that it has loose bearings is so old that you will probably screw it all up taking it off. The new bottom brackets installed with a splined tool, insert and remove all hell and gone better anyway.
Old October 25th 16, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

YEAH grease absolves ....that is after....unless urine Michigan ...75% evaped n the remainder is semi worthless.
so what you need is a complete teardown n inspection with new balls n grease....silicone grease from Finish Line.

check the seat tube .....if rusty buy a brush ...lube with aluminum anti sieze mixed with a dollop of linseed oil.

if picky, are we matching ball grades to cone n seat quality ?

is this possible ? prob at the extremes ?

caws you know the 25's here from whathisname in Boston, the arsonist ...

always looks fresh but not so the cones

Old October 30th 16, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hi AMuzi, jbeattie, , and Datakoll,

Thank you for all the input. It helps a lot. I gave a lot of thought to buying the tools and replacing the bearings in the original Dura-Ace bottom bracket myself. I have been working on my own car for nearly 20 years--timing belts to brake re-lining--and do everything but alignments and so feel good mechanically. However, this past week my well-worn Armadillo All Condition tire got a flat on the rear wheel. The sidewalls were kinda rotting on the Armadillo, too. I do not think I ever had a flat with the Armadillo. It's hard to say how many miles I put on it. I just remember reporting to the LBS maybe six to ten years ago and saying something like, 'Please recommend the most flat-resistant tire you have in stock.' Yesterday I shopped around for the latest flat-resistant tire and decided to try the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Online savings are minimal to non-existent. I read they were hard to get on, so with all this, I had my LBS do it. There the repairman said I could bet a new bottom bracket cartridge for around $15 and have it installed for around $20. I look forward to trying this soon. I bet I love it.

Meanwhile I am delighted with the feel of my new Schwalbe Marathon Plus rear tire. People spoke of the rolling resistance being lower with it compared to the Armadillo tire. This is my impression, too.

Thank you again, all, for your help.