tom sherman drivel continued - was spoke fatigue troll

Old May 10th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Default tom sherman drivel continued - was spoke fatigue troll

Tom Sherman wrote:
snip drivel

Did I ever write that work hardening was not a continuous function?
No. "jim" is misrepresenting what I wrote.

you wrote:

"In the case of a forged hub, the Meyer hardness would not change
with indention depth, since the material started out being work
hardened. For a cast hub flange, the Meyer hardness would
continually increase as the test load was increased due to the cold
working of the material."

so you specifically state that the forged hub will not experience
additional work hardening, in contrast to the cast hub which will.

No, I did NOT say that the forged hub would not experience more work
hardening, simply that Meyer hardness would not vary significantly with
test load. Duh.

lightweight. trying to talk your way out of a mistake by compounding
it, as you just have, is utterly stupid.

1. there are no cast hubs.

Citation? Not even the cheap ones?

i already told you. but you want to prove me wrong, so go get yourself
some hubs, a metallurgical microscope, and do some metallography. post
the pics for us all to see! it'll cost you about $15 for the cheapest
hub, the most likely candidate.

2. BOTH materials work harden.

How much does the spoke work harden during spoke squeezing?

why not use your, er, "ability" to calculate meyer hardness to find out?

3. they work harden continuously!

Did I write that they did not?

unfortunately, you did, yes. "meyer hardness would not change with
indention depth" are your exact words.

you clearly don't understand deformation. or if that's not what you
meant to say, then re-state it, don't accuse me of "misrepresenting"
your words which quite plainly show your misunderstanding.

I did not say anything. If "jim" stops misrepresenting what I wrote, I
will stop saying that "jim" is misrepresenting what I wrote.

so you didn't say "meyer hardness would not change with indention depth"
then? what exactly /did/ you say????

meyer hardness is for the projected area of the impression, not
just the indenter impression.

No kidding. But Meyer (not "meyer") hardness does not typically
change with indentation depth for a work hardened material, but does
change with indentation depth for an annealed or normalized material.

clueless idiot!!! work hardening is a continuous function!

I was referring to Meyer hardness measurement, not whether or not work
hardening is a continuous function.

so you didn't say:

"meyer hardness would not change with indention depth" then?

so you didn't say:

"[meyer] hardness does not typically change with indentation depth for a
work hardened material"???

with those statements, what you /really/ said was:

"i am a clueless bull****ting idiot that can't open a book and if i did
open a book, i didn't understand what i read", that's what you /really/
said.

I wrote that the Meyer hardness would not change, not that the
material could not be further work hardened. The two are not the
same. Learn to read.

oh, the hypocrisy. you goddamned lightweight.

"jim" has a non-standard definition of hypocrisy it seems.

lightweight idiot that doesn't understand basic testing procedure!

And "jim" does not comprehend written English.

snip remaining drivel

how much surface preparation is necessary for a rockwell hardness test
then tom? have you read that bit yet?

Old May 10th 08, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default "jim beam" drivel continued - was spoke fatigue troll

you wrote:

"In the case of a forged hub, the Meyer hardness would not change
with indention depth, since the material started out being work
hardened. For a cast hub flange, the Meyer hardness would
continually increase as the test load was increased due to the cold
working of the material."

so you specifically state that the forged hub will not experience
additional work hardening, in contrast to the cast hub which will.

No, I did NOT say that the forged hub would not experience more work
hardening, simply that Meyer hardness would not vary significantly with
test load. Duh.

lightweight. trying to talk your way out of a mistake by compounding
it, as you just have, is utterly stupid.

Not reading what people actually write is stupid.

1. there are no cast hubs.

Citation? Not even the cheap ones?

i already told you. but you want to prove me wrong, so go get yourself
some hubs, a metallurgical microscope, and do some metallography. post
the pics for us all to see! it'll cost you about $15 for the cheapest
hub, the most likely candidate.

No "jim", you posted the contention, so prove yourself right.

How 'bout these cast bicycle parts, including hubs:
http://www.sovikengg.com/cycleparts.htm?

2. BOTH materials work harden.

How much does the spoke work harden during spoke squeezing?

why not use your, er, "ability" to calculate meyer hardness to find out?

A spoke is too small to test for hardness by Meyer or Brinell methods,
no? Microhardness tests (Knoop or Vickers) are required. Vickers would
likely be the best choice for a small, round section such as a spoke.

3. they work harden continuously!

Did I write that they did not?

unfortunately, you did, yes. "meyer hardness would not change with
indention depth" are your exact words.

Yes, indeed. The indentation depth changes with load (duh), but as the
Meyer hardness calculation includes the load this is taken into account.

you clearly don't understand deformation. or if that's not what you
meant to say, then re-state it, don't accuse me of "misrepresenting"
your words which quite plainly show your misunderstanding.

I did not say anything. If "jim" stops misrepresenting what I wrote, I
will stop saying that "jim" is misrepresenting what I wrote.

so you didn't say "meyer hardness would not change with indention depth"
then? what exactly /did/ you say????

Meyer hardness generally changes with indentation depth for a material
that is NOT work hardened, but does not change significantly with
indentation depth for a work hardened material. I though "jim" would
realize this.

[...]

"jim" is funny when he gets mad.

I wrote that the Meyer hardness would not change, not that the
material could not be further work hardened. The two are not the
same. Learn to read.

oh, the hypocrisy. you goddamned lightweight.

"jim" has a non-standard definition of hypocrisy it seems.

lightweight idiot that doesn't understand basic testing procedure!

And "jim" does not comprehend written English.

snip remaining drivel

how much surface preparation is necessary for a rockwell hardness test
then tom? have you read that bit yet?

Not enough information given to answer the question.

Old May 10th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Tom Sherman wrote:

you wrote:

"In the case of a forged hub, the Meyer hardness would not change
with indention depth, since the material started out being work
hardened. For a cast hub flange, the Meyer hardness would
continually increase as the test load was increased due to the cold
working of the material."

so you specifically state that the forged hub will not experience
additional work hardening, in contrast to the cast hub which will.

No, I did NOT say that the forged hub would not experience more work
hardening, simply that Meyer hardness would not vary significantly

with
test load. Duh.

lightweight. trying to talk your way out of a mistake by compounding
it, as you just have, is utterly stupid.

Not reading what people actually write is stupid.

ah, i get it - you don't like being called on having written
ignorance-exposing bull****, so therefore you didn't write it!! seems
pretty ****ing stupid to me when all you have to do is rectify your
mistake, but hey, i guess you lightweights have problems in that department.

1. there are no cast hubs.

Citation? Not even the cheap ones?

i already told you. but you want to prove me wrong, so go get
yourself some hubs, a metallurgical microscope, and do some
metallography. post the pics for us all to see! it'll cost you about
$15 for the cheapest hub, the most likely candidate.

No "jim", you posted the contention, so prove yourself right.

How 'bout these cast bicycle parts, including hubs:
http://www.sovikengg.com/cycleparts.htm?

"technically", yes, cast hubs are possible, but you can cast almost
anything [those brake calipers are particularly un-fine]. but that
doesn't mean it ever gets used real world. how many handlebars are cast
for instance? how many frames? they're both "possible". you buy and
test the cheapest hub you can buy here stateside. show me it's cast.

2. BOTH materials work harden.

How much does the spoke work harden during spoke squeezing?

why not use your, er, "ability" to calculate meyer hardness to find out?

A spoke is too small to test for hardness by Meyer or Brinell methods,
no? Microhardness tests (Knoop or Vickers) are required. Vickers would
likely be the best choice for a small, round section such as a spoke.

tom, seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about, why do you
keep exposing your ignorance to ridicule??? you don't/can't hardness
test a curved surface with knoop or vickers. you /can/ test it with
rockwell, provided you apply the correction factors.

besides, remember i asked you about surface preparation? if you'd
bothered to read up on it as i suggested, you wouldn't be so confused.

3. they work harden continuously!

Did I write that they did not?

unfortunately, you did, yes. "meyer hardness would not change with
indention depth" are your exact words.

Yes, indeed. The indentation depth changes with load (duh), but as the
Meyer hardness calculation includes the load this is taken into account.

as a function of cold work as it increases!!!

you clearly don't understand deformation. or if that's not what you
meant to say, then re-state it, don't accuse me of "misrepresenting"
your words which quite plainly show your misunderstanding.

I did not say anything. If "jim" stops misrepresenting what I wrote, I
will stop saying that "jim" is misrepresenting what I wrote.

so you didn't say "meyer hardness would not change with indention
depth" then? what exactly /did/ you say????

Meyer hardness generally changes with indentation depth for a material
that is NOT work hardened, but does not change significantly with
indentation depth for a work hardened material. I though "jim" would
realize this.

what i don't understand is how you can /not/ understand the basic
principles!

[...]

no, i get frustrated with clueless lightweights that don't have the
sense to shut up when they're out of their depth, or the balls to 'fess
up when they get it wrong! you're neither smart enough nor man enough
to do either!

I wrote that the Meyer hardness would not change, not that the
material could not be further work hardened. The two are not the
same. Learn to read.

oh, the hypocrisy. you goddamned lightweight.

"jim" has a non-standard definition of hypocrisy it seems.

lightweight idiot that doesn't understand basic testing procedure!

And "jim" does not comprehend written English.

snip remaining drivel

how much surface preparation is necessary for a rockwell hardness test
then tom? have you read that bit yet?

Not enough information given to answer the question.

eh???? wow, that's incredible given that the testing industry is very
clear about this. clearly you're somewhat unfamiliar. and yet you dare
to bull**** about meyer hardness!!!

tom, you're an audaciously underinformed lightweight bull****ting /way/
out of your depth. try smoking less and reading more.

here you go.
http://www.msel.nist.gov/practiceguides/SP960_5.pdf

[try not to pay too much attention to annex a - it'll only get you
confused given your work hardening misconceptions.]
Old May 11th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

"jim beam" wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:

you wrote:

[...]

No "jim", you still have not read and understood what I actually wrote.

1. there are no cast hubs.

Citation? Not even the cheap ones?

i already told you. but you want to prove me wrong, so go get
yourself some hubs, a metallurgical microscope, and do some
metallography. post the pics for us all to see! it'll cost you
about $15 for the cheapest hub, the most likely candidate.

No "jim", you posted the contention, so prove yourself right.

How 'bout these cast bicycle parts, including hubs:
http://www.sovikengg.com/cycleparts.htm?

"technically", yes, cast hubs are possible, but you can cast almost
anything [those brake calipers are particularly un-fine]. but that
doesn't mean it ever gets used real world. how many handlebars are cast
for instance? how many frames? they're both "possible". you buy and
test the cheapest hub you can buy here stateside. show me it's cast.

So "jim" admits his error in his absolute statement of there being no
cast hubs. We are making progress.

2. BOTH materials work harden.

How much does the spoke work harden during spoke squeezing?

why not use your, er, "ability" to calculate meyer hardness to find out?

A spoke is too small to test for hardness by Meyer or Brinell methods,
no? Microhardness tests (Knoop or Vickers) are required. Vickers would
likely be the best choice for a small, round section such as a spoke.

tom, seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about, why do you
keep exposing your ignorance to ridicule??? you don't/can't hardness
test a curved surface with knoop or vickers. you /can/ test it with
rockwell, provided you apply the correction factors.

Then why do I find references to corrections to Vickers hardness for
curved surfaces?

besides, remember i asked you about surface preparation? if you'd
bothered to read up on it as i suggested, you wouldn't be so confused.

3. they work harden continuously!

Did I write that they did not?

unfortunately, you did, yes. "meyer hardness would not change with
indention depth" are your exact words.

Yes, indeed. The indentation depth changes with load (duh), but as the
Meyer hardness calculation includes the load this is taken into account.

as a function of cold work as it increases!!!

But does cold work increase infinitely with deformation - wow, we can
make metals as strong as we want!

you clearly don't understand deformation. or if that's not what you
meant to say, then re-state it, don't accuse me of "misrepresenting"
your words which quite plainly show your misunderstanding.

I did not say anything. If "jim" stops misrepresenting what I
wrote, I
will stop saying that "jim" is misrepresenting what I wrote.

so you didn't say "meyer hardness would not change with indention
depth" then? what exactly /did/ you say????

Meyer hardness generally changes with indentation depth for a material
that is NOT work hardened, but does not change significantly with
indentation depth for a work hardened material. I though "jim" would
realize this.

what i don't understand is how you can /not/ understand the basic
principles!

Reading comprehension difficulties for "jim"?

[...]

I enjoy it greatly when "jim" lets loose with the insults.

I wrote that the Meyer hardness would not change, not that the
material could not be further work hardened. The two are not the
same. Learn to read.

oh, the hypocrisy. you goddamned lightweight.

"jim" has a non-standard definition of hypocrisy it seems.

lightweight idiot that doesn't understand basic testing procedure!

And "jim" does not comprehend written English.
snip remaining drivel

how much surface preparation is necessary for a rockwell hardness
test then tom? have you read that bit yet?

Not enough information given to answer the question.

eh???? wow, that's incredible given that the testing industry is very
clear about this. clearly you're somewhat unfamiliar. and yet you dare
to bull**** about meyer hardness!!!

Poor "jim" can not see that he posted an incomplete question.

tom, you're an audaciously underinformed lightweight bull****ting /way/
out of your depth. try smoking less and reading more.

here you go.
http://www.msel.nist.gov/practiceguides/SP960_5.pdf

[try not to pay too much attention to annex a - it'll only get you
confused given your work hardening misconceptions.]

It must be the use capital letters that makes things so confusing, eh?

Old May 11th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

"jim beam" wrote:

no, i get frustrated with clueless lightweights that don't have the
sense to shut up when they're out of their depth, or the balls to
'fess up when they get it wrong! you're neither smart enough nor
man enough to do either!

I enjoy it greatly when "jim" lets loose with the insults.

He really should read up on neurotic projection.
Old May 13th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 10, 10:12 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
"jim beam" wrote: 1. there are no cast hubs.

then Tom Sherman wrote:
So "jim" admits his error in his absolute statement of there being no
cast hubs. We are making progress.

:-)

jim beam makes progress very, very slowly. When you prove him wrong on
cast hubs, he tries to change the argument to cast handlebars - or
perhaps to the hubs he wants you to buy. Or to the components on your
own personal bikes.

And when he fails in all those arguments, he degenerates into
obscenities.

Makes you wonder what his childhood was like, doesn't it?

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 13th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"jim beam" wrote in message
t...

"technically", yes, cast hubs are possible, but you can cast almost
anything [those brake calipers are particularly un-fine]. but that
doesn't mean it ever gets used real world. how many handlebars are cast
for instance? how many frames?

I've ridden a cast framed bike. Very stiff it was too.

clive

Old May 13th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Tom Sherman wrote:
"jim beam" wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:

you wrote:

[...]

wriggle. squirm. avoid.

[...]

cites?

wriggle. squirm. avoid.

besides, remember i asked you about surface preparation? if you'd
bothered to read up on it as i suggested, you wouldn't be so confused.

3. they work harden continuously!

Did I write that they did not?

unfortunately, you did, yes. "meyer hardness would not change with
indention depth" are your exact words.

Yes, indeed. The indentation depth changes with load (duh), but as
the Meyer hardness calculation includes the load this is taken into
account.

as a function of cold work as it increases!!!

But does cold work increase infinitely with deformation - wow, we can
make metals as strong as we want!

oh dear.

wriggle. squirm. avoid.

Old May 13th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

jim beam makes progress very, very slowly. When you prove him wrong on
cast hubs, he tries to change the argument to cast handlebars - or
perhaps to the hubs he wants you to buy. Or to the components on your
own personal bikes.

And when he fails in all those arguments, he degenerates into
obscenities.

Makes you wonder what his childhood was like, doesn't it?

"Was" like?

oh look, the idiots and retards are competing to see who's the
dumberest. who's winning? i can't tell.