Presta to schrader converter

Old September 6th 18, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Presta to schrader converter

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 1:07:14 PM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
On 09/05/2018 11:20 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/5/2018 3:35 PM, Andy wrote:
On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 11:16:57 AM UTC-5,
wrote:
This may be closer to what you use.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/pl...resta-adaptor/

The problem with this one is it requires a screw on connection for
the pump. There isn't enough room for a push on pump connection. One
could add a presta extender as a work around.

This is really a Schrader to Woods adapter, despite what's on the
website.

I bought the wrong tube with a Presta valve instead of Schrader, so I
decided to keep it.

To fill the tube I had to unscrew it, screw on the hose and pump it up..

Then unscrew hose while air is coming out and then tighten the screw.

Is that the correct procedure?

The Schrader valve loses very little air in the filling process.

Just to clarify, you're looking for an adapter to replace a tube which
doesn't fit the pump you just bought rather than replacing the SV tube
with a PV tube which does fit your pump, and matches the other wheel, at
roughly the same cost as the adapter.

Did I get that right?

sigh You're missing the obvious, with a SV/PV adapter, at any time in
the future, should the shop *only* stock SV or PV, then he's covered.
He is now gender neutral! As such, he's also at liberty to buy any pump
that seems to fit the pumping requirements without recourse to the
needless worry of valve type, making him pump neutral as well. In
addition, since the drilling of the rim, which affects the valve, which
in turn affects the pump, now doesn't matter, he is rim neutral. Now,
since he is rim neutral, a 26 or a 29'er is immaterial, in the purchase
of the next bike, making him size neutral.

All for the purchase of a simple adapter!

phew Back to me Monkey 47...

https://www.ginfoundry.com/gin/monkey-47-gin/

I had a Schwinn when I was just getting over my concussion. It used 27 x 1 1/4 tubes with Schrader valves. Someone here advised getting Presta tubes so I did - the Presta valves are a smaller diameter and the tube cuts itself open on the Schrader valve hole.
Old September 6th 18, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

There are inserts to prevent that.
Old September 10th 18, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 2:25:25 PM UTC-7, wrote:
There are inserts to prevent that.

Something else to fiddle with?
Old September 10th 18, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 7:22:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 2:25:25 PM UTC-7, wrote:
There are inserts to prevent that.

Something else to fiddle with?

I used one today for what I believe is a legitimate use.

I was wrenching an event at a rest stop. It was an all day rain = lots of flats.

Somebody came in telling me that another rider had changed a tube before the stop - was everything all right?

One look showed me that the tire bead was resting on the tube. I lowered the pressure and properly re-seated the tire. It was a Presta valve tube (of proper size for the tire) mounted on a Schrader rim.

Another glance showed that tire pressure was trying to push part of the tube through the rim hole. I reached into my spare parts bag and placed the insert into the rim.

The rider was able to continue without fear that the tube substitution would fail.