Cop Blocks Bike Lane To Ticket Cyclists For Not Using Lane

Old November 5th 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Cop Blocks Bike Lane To Ticket Cyclists For Not Using Lane

On Nov 4, 9:44*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in ...
[...]

For a minor violation, the ticketed person can just pay the fine, but has
to go to court if he/she wants to proves his/her lack of guilt and avoid
the fine. *However, even if found not guilty, there is no compensation for
time and legal costs[1], and no sanctions against the police, even if the
police were behaving in an illegal manner.

[1] The USian judicial system is heavily biased in favor of the rich.

Most violators and criminals are trash of various skin hues. All that
matters to me is that the judicial system be heavily biased against them.
Either that, or it is off to the Spanish Inquisition where just deserts are
readily served to the wicked.

Bon appetit to the Spanish Inquisition if they eat you alive.

Old November 5th 10, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

You are obliged to use bike lanes in NY? What kind of
stupid highway code is that?

=v= New York State has a law that makes use of these lanes
mandatory, but there's an exemption for New York City, which
has a bunch of exceptions that give bicyclists discretion
not to use the lanes. The NYPD is totally in the wrong here.

=v= Car-centric policies hinge on the false presumption that
bicyclists will slow down cars. What's funny is that the
first attempts to force bicyclists onto separate facilities
was because they were going faster than everyone else (The
Scorcher Menace). In fact, their first legal response was
to lower the speed limits on parallel roads so scorchers
could speed on the paths!

Build sidepaths, and the mandatory use laws will follow.

=v= Yes, Tom, we're all aware that you can recite tropes from
Effective Cycling [TM] dogma word for word, over and over.

=v= Why don't you do something about it? Forester himself has
grumpily conceded that incompetent and lawbreaking cyclists (as
he put it) have won over the vehicularists, and has retreated
to Plan B: Directing his followers to focus on getting rid of
these mandatory use laws.

=v= That way, you see, the virtuous bicycle driving eeleete
won't have to share facilities with the rest of us unwashed ilk.
You'll just stick with all those totally competent, law-abiding
motorists.
_Jym_
Old November 5th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Jens Müller[_3_]

Am 05.11.2010 20:24, schrieb Jym Dyer:
=v= Why don't you do something about it? Forester himself has
grumpily conceded that incompetent and lawbreaking cyclists (as
he put it) have won over the vehicularists, and has retreated
to Plan B: Directing his followers to focus on getting rid of
these mandatory use laws.

Works fine for me (for individual obligations concerning a specific road):

http://translate.google.com/translat..._s_575-09.html
Old November 6th 10, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 11/5/2010 7:13 AM, Mike A Schwab wrote:
On Nov 3, 11:28 am, Jens wrote:
Am 31.10.2010 16:23, schrieb SMS:

http://gothamist.com/2010/10/27/cop_blocks_bike_lane_to_ticket_cycl.php

You are obliged to use bike lanes in NY? What kind of stupid highway
code is that?

Well, let that stupid NYPD go to court with that ...

Jens

Circle around the block, the ride ON the police car. Hopefully a
broken light or dented body part will result.

More likely a broken and dented cyclist, after the police finish their
beating.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old November 6th 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 11/5/2010 2:24 PM, Jym Dyer wrote:
[...]
Build sidepaths, and the mandatory use laws will follow.

=v= Yes, Tom, we're all aware that you can recite tropes from
Effective Cycling [TM] dogma word for word, over and over.

That is in "Effective Cycling"? (My copy is buried in a packing box in
the garage).

=v= Why don't you do something about it? Forester himself has
grumpily conceded that incompetent and lawbreaking cyclists (as
he put it) have won over the vehicularists, and has retreated
to Plan B: Directing his followers to focus on getting rid of
these mandatory use laws.

Thankfully, there are only sharrows where I ride.

=v= That way, you see, the virtuous bicycle driving eeleete
won't have to share facilities with the rest of us unwashed ilk.
You'll just stick with all those totally competent, law-abiding
motorists.

Better that than a pack of slow-moving cyclists on a separated path
(e.g. Amsterdam).