RR: The old favorite

Old February 26th 06, 08:59 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default RR: The old favorite

It's been two months and a weeks since I've been on a trail with the Blade.
It's even been a couple of weeks since I've even ridden but a recent visit
to the doc, a slightly elevated BP, and being told I need to lose at least
20 lbs kind of got me motivated (plus the weather was near perfect) to ride
today.

The hockey game had ended, the kids were on the vociferous side this am and
the wife decided to make smoothies (read blender noise for ever.....) so I
suited up, grabbed the bike and off I went to Trail 100. I started out
spinning along realizing I was breathing hard. What's up with that? I'm
not working that hard but it hurts but I spin on. Now I'm being a little
tentative since I'm out of handling practice and it seems as though I'm
hitting all of the numerous granite baby heads, both loose and imbedded. I
keep picturing Maverick not engaging with Hollywood screaming to get back in
there but Goose doesn't talk to me.....

The climbs are seemingly never ending today. I'm thinking granny gear on
some climbs that are normally easy to do on the SS. The legs are burning
and I think 'damn, these shorts must of shrunk, they're awfully tight' but I
manage each and every climb though much slower than I remember. The trail
is quite crowded today with both bikers and hikers with many of the hikers
out with their recent holiday puppy acquisitions. It's sort of a good thing
for me as I stop to let most of them by catching my breath while I wait.

Now I haven't felt this bad since I use to climb the tower road at South
Mountain in 110+F heat. I'm on the back side coming home fighting back the
nausea. I can't help but think of what a wus I've becoming in a short two
months of feeling sorry for myself. This is only a 14 mile round trip and
I'm hurting. My shoulder is killing me, I want to puke and the trail just
isn't fun today.

I make it home w/o barfing, riding very slowly. The chain is even telling
me it wasn't much fun as it's squeaking. This drought has really made the
trail quite dusty and I'm glad I was riding alone otherwise dust sucking
would have made the ride that much more unpleasant.

I imagine tomorrow being a much better ride for I'm not about to stop the
long road back now.

Maybe I'll even climb Shaw Butte to see how really out of shape I'm in
(though round is a shape).

Gary

Old February 26th 06, 09:19 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

GeeDubb wrote:
It's been two months and a weeks since I've been on a trail with the
Blade. It's even been a couple of weeks since I've even ridden but a
recent visit to the doc, a slightly elevated BP, and being told I need
to lose at least 20 lbs kind of got me motivated (plus the weather was
near perfect) to ride today.

I can help you here. GIVE UP THE BEER!

The hockey game had ended, the kids were on the vociferous side this am
and the wife decided to make smoothies (read blender noise for
ever.....) so I suited up, grabbed the bike and off I went to Trail
100. I started out spinning along realizing I was breathing hard.
What's up with that? I'm not working that hard but it hurts but I spin
on. Now I'm being a little tentative since I'm out of handling practice
and it seems as though I'm hitting all of the numerous granite baby
heads, both loose and imbedded. I keep picturing Maverick not engaging
with Hollywood screaming to get back in there but Goose doesn't talk to
me.....

I'm booking the next flight out there. I might be able to keep up with
you on the climbs.

snip some stuff

Now I haven't felt this bad since I use to climb the tower road at South
Mountain in 110+F heat. I'm on the back side coming home fighting back
the nausea. I can't help but think of what a wus I've becoming in a
short two months of feeling sorry for myself. This is only a 14 mile
round trip and I'm hurting. My shoulder is killing me, I want to puke
and the trail just isn't fun today.

Vicodin... It's what's for dinner. Before you ride pop a few Motrin.

I make it home w/o barfing, riding very slowly. The chain is even
telling me it wasn't much fun as it's squeaking. This drought has
really made the trail quite dusty and I'm glad I was riding alone
otherwise dust sucking would have made the ride that much more unpleasant.

I imagine tomorrow being a much better ride for I'm not about to stop
the long road back now.

Maybe I'll even climb Shaw Butte to see how really out of shape I'm in
(though round is a shape).

Don't stop now. Two months and you'll be your old self again.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old February 27th 06, 01:47 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default The old favorite

"GeeDubb" wrote in message
It's been two months and a weeks since I've been on a trail with the
Blade. It's even been a couple of weeks since I've even ridden but a
recent visit to the doc, a slightly elevated BP, and being told I need to
lose at least 20 lbs kind of got me motivated (plus the weather was near
perfect) to ride today. Maybe I'll even climb Shaw Butte to see how
really out of shape I'm in (though round is a shape).

Gary

Glad to hear it Gary, and you know that a bad day riding is better than a
good day loafing around the couch.

CDB
Hi to your girls.

Old February 27th 06, 02:09 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

GeeDubb wrote:
The climbs are seemingly never ending today. I'm thinking granny gear on
some climbs that are normally easy to do on the SS.

Give it a little time and it'll all come back. After all, it's just
like riding a bike...

JD

Old February 27th 06, 02:13 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
GeeDubb wrote:
It's been two months and a weeks since I've been on a trail with the
Blade. It's even been a couple of weeks since I've even ridden but a
recent visit to the doc, a slightly elevated BP, and being told I
need
to lose at least 20 lbs kind of got me motivated (plus the weather
was near perfect) to ride today.

I can help you here. GIVE UP THE BEER!

Man, that was way harsh.

Mike - anything but the beer!!

Old February 27th 06, 02:43 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Michael Dart wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
GeeDubb wrote:
It's been two months and a weeks since I've been on a trail with the
Blade. It's even been a couple of weeks since I've even ridden but a
recent visit to the doc, a slightly elevated BP, and being told I
need
to lose at least 20 lbs kind of got me motivated (plus the weather
was near perfect) to ride today.

I can help you here. GIVE UP THE BEER!

Man, that was way harsh.

Mike - anything but the beer!!

Anything???

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old February 27th 06, 03:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
GeeDubb wrote:
It's been two months and a weeks since I've been on a trail with the
Blade. It's even been a couple of weeks since I've even ridden but a
recent visit to the doc, a slightly elevated BP, and being told I need to
lose at least 20 lbs kind of got me motivated (plus the weather was near
perfect) to ride today.

I can help you here. GIVE UP THE BEER!

No No Never Never ah ah ahhhhhhh!

It's not the beer since I haven't had any for over a month(except for the
one at dinner last night). It's the damn cookies, bread, potatos, cereal,
fruit, vegeatables, etc.

in other words, the food and no exercise! Fat is in my genes so it's a
struggle, especially when I like food the way I do. I once stopped
consuming alcohol for over a year. I lost zero, natta, zip poundage so
foowy on you.

snip

I'm booking the next flight out there. I might be able to keep up with
you on the climbs.

guestimated time frame?

snip

Vicodin... It's what's for dinner. Before you ride pop a few Motrin.

I'm already taking 150 mg/day of diclofenac sodium. Adhesive capsulitis is
just painful. PT said to expect a year for full recovery (with a smile on
his face, damnit)

snip again

Don't stop now. Two months and you'll be your old self again.

I don't plan on stopping. Even as out of shape aerobically (comparatively)
as I am I figure I'm still doing better than 80% of the rest of the
population when it comes to riding a bike. What really killed me was
trying to stand up at the end of the movie (8 Below, a must see) and having
no legs......

Gary

Old February 27th 06, 03:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Michael Dart" wrote in message
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
GeeDubb wrote:
It's been two months and a weeks since I've been on a trail with the
Blade. It's even been a couple of weeks since I've even ridden but a
recent visit to the doc, a slightly elevated BP, and being told I
need
to lose at least 20 lbs kind of got me motivated (plus the weather
was near perfect) to ride today.

I can help you here. GIVE UP THE BEER!

Man, that was way harsh.

Mike - anything but the beer!!

Actually I could give up beer before coffee.

Thanks for the support though!

Gary

Old February 27th 06, 03:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Paladin" wrote in message
.. .

"GeeDubb" wrote in message
It's been two months and a weeks since I've been on a trail with the
Blade. It's even been a couple of weeks since I've even ridden but a
recent visit to the doc, a slightly elevated BP, and being told I need to
lose at least 20 lbs kind of got me motivated (plus the weather was near
perfect) to ride today. Maybe I'll even climb Shaw Butte to see how
really out of shape I'm in (though round is a shape).

Gary

Glad to hear it Gary, and you know that a bad day riding is better than a
good day loafing around the couch.

CDB
Hi to your girls.

Yep, though I've been giving that loafing thing a good workout the last two
months, especially over the last couple of weeks while the Olympics were
on.....four different channels! I think I'm hockeyed out and now have to
resort to boring old NHL type games with no heart.

Girls say 'hey to Goob'!

Gary

Old February 27th 06, 03:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...

GeeDubb wrote:
The climbs are seemingly never ending today. I'm thinking granny gear on
some climbs that are normally easy to do on the SS.

Give it a little time and it'll all come back. After all, it's just
like riding a bike...

JD

funny thing was I found myself really sliding way back on the seat for the
slightest of down hills.....
(wussy boyitis)

I had planned on doing a long (40+ mile) road (read canal ride w/o cars)
ride today but my little girl is home with some illness that keeps making a
circular attack on the four of us

Gary