Square taper BB questions

Old June 14th 17, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Square taper BB questions

On 2017-06-13 14:14,
On 2017-06-13 04:03, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 07:07:17 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-06-11 15:51, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 10:24:03 AM UTC-4, Joerg
wrote: Snipped a whole bunch of stuff
Racing is a different world. Those guys either ride in
teams or have sponsors with fat wallets. They can have
a new chain at the end of each day and it wouldn't even
make a dent in the budget. Just like with automotive
races where a neighbor blew the transmission one day
and his comment was "Oh, well, that happens a lot".

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

A recent thing is single chainring crankset. That puts
the chain on a pretty severe angle.

What is it with you that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING as it's
designed ever works for you?

Read more carefully. I wrote that a properly aligned
position of the cranks works for me. The discussion was
about adding an outboard bearing. That would mess up this
dialed-in chain line and that it IMO not a good thing.

Regarding the "absolutely nothing". Why is it that _all_
parts, including structural ones, that I built myself for
my bike work very well for me and never break? It proves
that some things the bike industry does not or does not
want to understand do work. For example, now I have the
only full-sus MTB in this whole area (and I am certain well
beyond that) where one can throw loads of stuff into the
panniers and still barrel along a rough singletrack at full
bore. It wasn't commercially available and thus I built out
the reaar end so the bike can take that load. Did I invent
it? Nope. I just looked at Dual-Sport motorcycles and then
knew how it's done.

I agree. So the logical thing to do is quit that fooling
about with electrons, buy a welding rig and set up shop in
your garage turning out the Joerg Super Carrier.

Thing is, I do not enjoy building mechanical parts and only do
it out of necessity because the bicycle industry often fails
to provide adequate stuff. In contrast, I do enjoy designing
electronics.

Based on your posts you should have long lines of cyclists,
all the way down the road, fighting with each other over who
gets the next one made.

As I have said many times before the day has only 24h. Our
drill sergeant said "plus the night if needed" but for some
reason that hasn't worked. Aside from designing electronics I
also want to volunteer, brew beer and ... ride. Like the
39-miler with brew pub stop yesterday. There is no time left to
serve a long line of cyclists.

However, I did encounter several cyclists who pointed to the
back of my MTB and wanted to know where to buy this kit. "You
can't, it's not a commercial kit and you'd have to build it".

After all of the time off the bike I feel back to ground zero. I
did 33 miles today with some hard climbing on the road bike and I
feel like I was stood against the wall and shot. But one of the
last hills I did climb in third gear in the big ring. Half a mile
at 7%. It was only 8 mph but it was the big ring.

That is not what I consider fun but it builds up muscle and
stamina. I have no idea about the percentages of the various hills
around here but at least twice a week I have to get back up here
from the "flatlands" or close to there. Which means a difference of
1300-1400ft with lots of ups and downs in between. This is a key
reason why I can't convince others to tag along. Or only once.

I just went down into the garage and looked. 34 miles, 1850 feet at
an average grade of 3% and three hours riding. What is significant is
that with the really steep hills you spend almost all of your time
going downhill.

I have no way of figuring out average grades and what the Germans call
"Hoehenmeter" (I believe it means all climbs added together). Maps don't
show it and my speedometers don't have any fancy functions.

And I am so far out of shape I simply cannot believe it. All it took
was six months of limited riding and I'm back almost to square one.

I have my best friend visiting in September and he's doing 50 mile
rides doing 18 mph into 10 mph winds and I have to prepare to ride
with him. I have developed my own training method that's different
from "The Training Bible" since I cannot ride every day at my age. So
I have to make sure to use it between now and September at the Tour
de Fuzz.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. If he is really your best friend he'll
wait for you on top of hills and such. That's what we do around here.
Alternatively faster riders ask the others which beer they like to have
ordered at the brewpub and then when they get there it's all ready to
drink. As a (very fast riding) friend says, "It's supposed to be fun".
Not torture.

Oh, he would definitely wait. But half of my family are cops mostly newly retired and he is retired NCIS and those guys are really competitive. So waiting at the top for me instead of visa versa would drive him crazy. So I'd rather the versa.
Old June 14th 17, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

--
[...]

What's not to enjoy? After all, as Jay wrote, a bunch of guys became
very rich indeed making New, previously unknown, bikes and parts for
bikes. Why not join the parade?

Riches aren't my goal in life, happiness is. I just do not like to
design and build mechanical stuff. I do it if there is no alternative
and with bicycles there often isn't. For exampe, I need two electronics
control boxes for the bikes. The electronics are designed, built and
tested. The die-cast boxes are still sitting there looking at me.

Or are you now making so much money that you don't need any more?

Money is always nice to make but it is not the #1 priority in our family
life. One can earn a decent living designing electronic circuitry and
that is what I decided to be my field. I am not hell-bent on keeping it
that way, got to be flexible, but why abandon what I love to do?

Also, running a production facility in the "People's Republic of
California" is not what I'd consider fun. This opinion is based on
experience. I ran a division of a company here for years and got some
stories. So if I were to contemplate that at all we'd first have to move
to Utah or some other place with nice weather, great MTB trails and a
business-friendly government.

What I find real odd about analog designers is that they are usually in large demand if they know what they're doing and all of them aren't in the least interested in the pay.
Old June 14th 17, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-14 14:02, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 11:06:49 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Money is always nice to make but it is not the #1 priority in our
family life. One can earn a decent living designing electronic
circuitry and that is what I decided to be my field. I am not
hell-bent on keeping it that way, got to be flexible, but why
abandon what I love to do?

Also, running a production facility in the "People's Republic of
California" is not what I'd consider fun. This opinion is based on
experience. I ran a division of a company here for years and got
some stories. So if I were to contemplate that at all we'd first
have to move to Utah or some other place with nice weather, great
MTB trails and a business-friendly government.

What I find real odd about analog designers is that they are usually
in large demand if they know what they're doing and all of them
aren't in the least interested in the pay.

Well, now you also know one that is interested in the pay :-)

I make sure that I am compensated commensurately but my life does not
revolve around money. Meaning I place a lot of emphasis on non-work
activities. Visiting people in nursing homes, lay caregiving ministry,
bike riding, hiking, beer brewing and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

180 MM Crank (square taper) encoreman Marketplace 1 October 16th 09 04:39 PM
Square taper [email protected] Techniques 13 February 15th 07 08:00 PM
Ti square taper BB cliff Techniques 14 August 21st 05 11:02 PM
FS: NOS Square Taper BBs Kristan Roberge Marketplace 0 February 17th 05 02:51 PM
Square Taper BBs NickZX6R Australia 12 March 24th 04 06:20 AM