Minor crash affected derailleur. What to do?

Old September 30th 04, 03:35 PM
Noel Llopis

Default Minor crash affected derailleur. What to do?

I've had a very minor crash in the parking lot not going fast at all. Right
after the crash, the derailleur started pinging the spokes when in the
largest cog.

I was able to fix that just by tightening the limit screw. Is that fix
enough, or should I have the LBS check for a bent hanger? Maybe it's my
imagination, but I think it's a tad bit sluggish shifting now. Anything I
can check or fix at home?

Thanks.

--Noel

Old September 30th 04, 04:01 PM
MikeYankee

tightening the limit screw. Is that fix
enough?

Gets you home safely but doesn't address the fundamental damage. Crashes
rarely adjust set screws but they commonly bend things.

or should I have the LBS check for a bent hanger?

Yes. Assuming a steel bike (or hanger) it can be straightened in a couple of
minutes with experience and the right tool.

You can continue riding until it's fixed but shifting will not be optimal.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers.
To reply, delete everything after "com".)

Old September 30th 04, 06:23 PM
Tim McNamara

Noel Llopis writes:

I've had a very minor crash in the parking lot not going fast at
all. Right after the crash, the derailleur started pinging the
spokes when in the largest cog.

I was able to fix that just by tightening the limit screw. Is that
fix enough, or should I have the LBS check for a bent hanger? Maybe
it's my imagination, but I think it's a tad bit sluggish shifting
now. Anything I can check or fix at home?

Have your LBS check the derailleur hangar. If it's a steel frame, the
same tool used to check it can be used to put it right. If it's an
aluminum frame with a replaceable hanger, the hanger may need
replacing. I don't know about Ti or carbon fiber frames, I've never
bothered with them.

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Best front derailleur for half step plus granny Frank Miles Techniques 15 July 5th 04 11:30 PM
Trouble with a new Shimano Triple Front Derailleur FD-5504 Leon Techniques 8 May 12th 04 10:03 PM
Campy front derailleur won't shift Mike Lackey Techniques 6 April 13th 04 02:05 PM
FA: Original generation Mavic Rear Derailleur axion jaxson Marketplace 0 November 4th 03 03:47 PM