Yet More Technology

Old August 15th 15, 09:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

Default Yet More Technology

I was down to a large used bike shop in Bangkok today looking for a
possible "new" bike and came across what might be "The One". Although
granted it will take a little work.

It is a very light weight, lugged steel frame with brazon on down tube
shifter lugs and the old style shift cable guides brazed on the top of
the bottom bracket. The forks are made for a threaded axle, the front
fork is the usual hole and the rear is a, for want of a better
description, a hooked slot with the opening facing forward. It has a
"Shimano SEVEN" rear derailer and no obvious name on the front
derailer. The brakes and levers are Dia-Comp side pull dual pivot. The
pedal arms and chain wheel seem to be Japanese although I don't
remember the actual name - not Shimano or Dia-Comp though. the
shifters are indexed 7 speed Shimano. The wheel hubs are not any brand
I am familiar with but look similar to the usual Shimano road bike
style, 36 spoke wheels and aluminum "Heat Treated" rims. And Oh Yes,
it has chrome plated front forks :-), and there is sufficient
clearance fore and aft to mount fenders.

The price doesn't seem unreasonable for what would likely end up a
frame and a set of wheels and maybe a seat although we haven't got
into the actual discussion of how much will you take?

Anyone offer a guess on the possible age of this thing and what might
be considered a reasonable price for a very light frame and fairly
light set of wheels ?

I would anticipate slotting the front fork ends to use a conventional
skewer axle and filling and slotting the chain stay ends for the same,
and of course spreading the rear frame a bit. I don't remember whether
there were brazon's for fenders but those are easily added as well as
any bottle cage brazon's.

On another subject, I also came across a shop selling padded shorts
and bicycle jerseys for 600 baht a set - about US$ 17 :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 15th 15, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/15/2015 3:44 AM, John B. wrote:

[...]

mid 1980s Japanese. The Shimano pieces have a two letter
date code. The inside of the crank arm usually bears a date
stamp as do most handlebar stems of the era. Japanese serial
number standard format is a letter for the maker and one
digit for the year such as Y4 for Yamaguchi Frame 1984 (ten
years of detail changes make a 1974 or a 1994 very much
different)

Check the seatpost diameter if there's no tubing label.
25.4~25.8mm are basic carbon steels, often seamed. 26.8mm is
the Japanese market double butted seat tube on premium
material, 27.2mm being the single butted version usually for
export models.

p.s. if you email a snapshot I can help further

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 16th 15, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 08:04:13 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

I didn't want to get too interested - turning the bike upside down
looking for numbers stamped on the bottom bracket - as that just
raises the asking price :-) but the stem and bars have no visible
names although they look very authentic. The chain ring had a name but
I don't remember it other than it sounded Japanese and began with S,
but not Shimano :-)

There is a certain etiquette involved in dealing with used anything
dealers. One does not exhibit more than a casual interest in anything
before getting to the final throes of the deal with the hope that by
feigning disinterest the price will be lessened. And it worked, the
initial price was 9,000 baht and the owner mentioned that he could
"let it go" for 8,500... (about 35 baht = $1.00) not a major decrease
but an indication :-)

I am interested as (1) it is a steel frame and (2) it is very light. I
built a light frame from Columbus Niobium tubing that weighed 1.7 kg.
completed and painted and this bike seems to be lighter. (and yes, I
know it is possible to built a frame lighter then I did :-) which
would seem to indicate that it is a high end, or at least upper
middle, range frame. And it can take fenders which seems to be
increasingly rare these days.

He also had a couple of new aluminum bikes - 700c wheels, solid forks,
that he was asking 4,500 baht for - complete 9 speed Shimano but with
straight bars and thumb shifters.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 16th 15, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/16/2015 2:25 AM, John B. wrote:
The chain ring had a name but
I don't remember it other than it sounded Japanese and began with S,
but not Shimano :-)

Sugino?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 16th 15, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/16/2015 1:25 AM, John B. wrote:
[...]

Sugino, SR-Sakae, Suntour ?

Old August 16th 15, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

AAAAAHHHHH SR-SAKAE incroyable !
Old August 16th 15, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 1:34:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

hemispherical chain ring bolts ahhhhhhhh .......
Old August 16th 15, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/16/2015 11:38 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Unlikely to be Stronglight, Spidel, Solida on a Japanese
bike from the 1980s. Possible just not likely.

Old August 17th 15, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 10:16:58 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/16/2015 2:25 AM, John B. wrote:
The chain ring had a name but
I don't remember it other than it sounded Japanese and began with S,
but not Shimano :-)

Sugino?

Perhaps. It sounds likely.
--
cheers,

John B.

New helmet technology? [email protected] Techniques 15 March 4th 12 04:41 AM
RAAM technology [email protected] Racing 5 June 4th 10 12:24 AM
New helmet technology [email protected] Techniques 6 August 3rd 09 09:26 PM
new cycling technology G.fried UK 28 December 23rd 06 09:34 AM
seat technology muniracer Unicycling 4 December 2nd 03 04:40 PM