Bike Backpacks?

Old May 9th 04, 05:00 AM
hippy

Default Bike Backpacks?

The zips on another backpack are dying...

I'll need a replacement asap.

I've seen a Deuter backpack that is designed especially for cycling
with. It had an external frame that pushed the backpack away from the
rider - aiming to reduce the huge sweat patch that typically forms there
I don't remember if it had other cycling-related features but I'm
checking out their website now so I'll find out soon enough...

Does anyone else here use a backpack for commuting?

Any suggestions on a good one?

I've used ~$40 Caribee backpacks for the last 5+ years and they do the
job, but get quite stinky/wet on the straps and back and the zips die
eventually.

Thanks! hippy

P.S. I've tried the pannier option and it's not for me.

Old May 9th 04, 06:48 AM
DaveB

--

I bought a Berghaus backpack from Paddy Pallin with the mesh frame that
keeps it off your back for commuting because I'm always overheating. But

DaveB.

Old May 9th 04, 07:50 AM
Mike

hippy wrote:
The zips on another backpack are dying...

hippy,
if you know anyone with a sewing machine, its really easy to replace a
zip. Well worth it if you like the old pack.

I've seen a Deuter backpack that is designed especially for cycling
with. It had an external frame that pushed the backpack away from the

These are good, but not nearly as comfortable for your back as a
pannier. Or a racktop bag, to avoid wind drag.
I think Kathmandu have a cycling backpack too.

Does anyone else here use a backpack for commuting?

Only if I need to carry something fragile.

Any suggestions on a good one?

One with a waist belt can be a good idea to secure it, especially when
using the drop bars.

P.S. I've tried the pannier option and it's not for me.

Eh? How could that be?
Old May 9th 04, 10:37 AM
GPLama

I have one of the Deuter backpacks you speak of.. awesome pack, use it for
walking/riding everyday...

only issue i have is that its a little small in the storage area.. got it
about a year ago, still rock solid.. it was marked as $159 at Cecil, but I
was only charged $99 for it, I paid and quickly departed the store

hope this helps,
gpl

Old May 9th 04, 12:03 PM
Fraser Johnston

"Mike" wrote in message
hippy wrote:

These are good, but not nearly as comfortable for your back as a
pannier. Or a racktop bag, to avoid wind drag.
I think Kathmandu have a cycling backpack too.

I have a Kathmandu backpack which is not designed for cycling but is the
best backpack I have ever owned. The whole thing is made of Scotchlite and
is reflective as buggery. It has 2 big compartments and a small front one
and is padded so my laptop is nice and secure in it. I have used it for
commuting on the bike and taking to ju-jitsu for around 18 months and the
thing is still like brand new. I have done around 1000ks on the bike with
it with no problems. I generally carry about 12 kilos in it when commuting.

Fraser

Old May 9th 04, 02:32 PM
hippy

Originally posted by Mike hippy, if you know anyone with a sewin
machine, its really easy to replace a zip. Well worth it if you lik
the old pack

It's not worth my time. I don't like the pack much and It'll take m
ages to find the bits I need to replace and then work out how to sew 'e
on, then realise I've stuffed it up and have to unpick them, then se
them on again, etc. ;

These are good, but not nearly as comfortable for your back as
pannier. Or a racktop bag, to avoid wind drag. I think Kathmandu have
cycling backpack too

I dunno, I've used a backpack on a bike for the last 10+ years and foun
using panniers a PITA. Sure you get a sweaty back, but you don't have t
worry attaching/detaching panniers all the time, don't have to empt
them into a backpack to go to the gym after the ride for a shower, don'
have to worry about having them stolen if you leave the bike somewhere
The bike looks better and handles better without panniers too. ..and al
those reasons pale in comparison to the fact that I'm a stubborn pric
and have used a backpack for 80% of my life :-

P.S. I've tried the pannier option and it's not for me

Eh? How could that be

See above. ;

hipp

-

Old May 9th 04, 03:16 PM
hippy

Originally posted by Fraser Johnston I have a Kathmandu backpack whic
is not designed for cycling but is the best backpack I have ever owned

Don't suppose you know the model name

Their website is spitting out errors left and right..

hipp

-

Old May 9th 04, 07:13 PM
Peter Gordon

DaveB wrote in
:

The biggest problem I found with panniers is the sress
of carrying a laptop and a couple of tech manuals has left me a
couple of times on the verge of losing the lot.

DaveB.

MEC used to sell aftermarket pannier attachment brackets
which I have found very good. Chech their web site, they
may still carry them.

Peter Gordon
Old May 9th 04, 10:00 PM
Dominic Sansom

Nike Epic... this one is not cheap. But it has a net for your helmet, reinforced laptop sleeve (G4 Powerbook fits perfectly), fibreglass chassis, padded straps and back, heaps of pockets (even a special one for your iPod) ... the works and only weighs 1.4kg. You can even design your own http://www.nike.com click on Nike iD.

I got mine fro
http://www.ebags.com/nike/epic_1/pro...m?modelid=1570

I saw them on sale in Sydney... can't remember where

-

Old May 9th 04, 10:26 PM
eb

"DaveB" == DaveB writes:

DaveB The biggest problem I found with panniers is the sress of
DaveB carrying a laptop and a couple of tech manuals has left me a
DaveB couple of times on the verge of losing the lot. Now I use an
DaveB elaborate series of home made straps which takes a good 5-10
DaveB minutes to get setup, but at least I won't be leaving a
DaveB laptop lying on Studley Rd or Hoddle St.

I've been using a set of Ortlieb panniers with a Topeak rack to carry my
gear. They're absolutely rock solid.

One pannier is capacious enough to accommodate my Dell Latitude laptop,
complete with bag etc. That leaves the other one free for clothes, food
etc. Putting them on the rack couldn't be simpler, slot in the lateral
hook to the side of the rack and two clips snap on to the top of the
rack. Removal is by means of pulling the pannier handle up which
releases the spring loaded clips.

I (rather embarrassingly) got caught out by wet tram tracks on Swanston
street and went skating down the road, a little scuffing was the only
evidence of my adventure. Both panniers stayed securely attached to the
rack.

$265 might sound like a bit of money but when you're using them five
days a week it's well worth it IMO.

http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category17_1.htm
--
Regards