Bike Backpacks?

Old May 11th 04, 01:32 AM
hippy

Default Bike Backpacks?

Originally posted by Duncan Have you tried crimping the zipper thingo
I took my bag to have the zip replaced at a shoe repairer, the guy too
it and played for about a minute, gave it back and said he'd fixed i
for free. He'd done what I'd tried to do myself a couple of times whic
is squish the edges of the slider thing back together so the zip teet
don't misalign

On my bag, the zip actually pulls apart at the top, it's not that th
zipper bit doesn't work properly, but once zipped it doesn't hol
together too well

I use a camelback blowfish, had it for almost five years and use i
nearly every day

I have the M.U.L.E. but it is way too small for my clothes and anythin
else I choose to carry

I wonder if anyone has used a courier bag and backpack and could compar
the two for me? ~25k each way commute carrying clothes, sometimes shoes
diary, phone, wallet and some other little bits (and sometimes big bits
but there's always the train ;-))

hipp

-

Old May 11th 04, 05:48 AM
hippy

Just checked out some packs in Mountain Designs

Mountain Designs have their own packs as well as Deuter packs

The best one for me 'appeared' to be the Deuter "Quasar" which als
turned out to be the most expensive I looked at, at $189!! Damn! Anothe
good looking Deuter was the.. . damn.. can't remember

None of them appeared to have zips on them that were any better than m
Caribee backpacks :

Checking their website I can't find them which leads me to believe tha
they are old models or named differently here to overseas

hipp
- the search continues..

-

Old May 11th 04, 06:00 AM
ProfTournesol

hippy wrote:
The zips on another backpack are dying...
I'll need a replacement asap.
I've seen a Deuter backpack that is designed especially for cycling
with. It had an external frame that pushed the backpack away from the
rider - aiming to reduce the huge sweat patch that typically forms there
I don't remember if it had other cycling-related features but I'm
checking out their website now so I'll find out soon enough...
Does anyone else here use a backpack for commuting?
Any suggestions on a good one?
I've used ~$40 Caribee backpacks for the last 5+ years and they do the
job, but get quite stinky/wet on the straps and back and the zips die
eventually.
Thanks! hippy
P.S. I've tried the pannier option and it's not for me.

I use an STM sports pack - designed for cycling although it doesn'
totally eliminate the back wetpatch. Space for a laptop, some papers an
a change of clothes and a compartment for my iPod! Comfortable, robus
and relatively affordable. You can buy them from Apple (computer) shops

-

Old May 11th 04, 01:16 PM
powinc

I bought a Roman with the suspension/air flow back for $80 for City
Disposals and it's s***. The opening is too small, therefore I can't get
even my lunchbox in it.

I would go for the Caribee next time, it was $5 more.

powinc

Old May 11th 04, 02:05 PM
DRS

"hippy" wrote in message

Originally posted by Drs Bugger the backpacks, "...when I was riding
to uni with a cast on my leg..."

Now that's hardcore. I wanna see Hippy trackstanding at the lights
with a cast on his leg.

For (hopefully) obvious reasons, that's something I DON'T want to see!

Wuss.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old May 14th 04, 11:57 AM
hippy

Does anyone here use a Crumpler bag when riding

What sort of distances and what sort of loads

They have some advantages over a backpack but I've never used one an
wonder how they'd go for a 25k commute

Looking at the Fux Deluxe or Seedy Three

So, anyone who does a bit of riding with one wanna let me know ho
good/bad they are?

cheers! hipp

-

Old May 14th 04, 02:20 PM
powinc

Checkou

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....0900484&sspage
name=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=

It's a good bag for cycling because it has the new suspension/air flo
type back to it and two extenal water bottle holders

powin

-

Old May 15th 04, 03:57 AM
Dominic Sansom

Have a lok at this

http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/14703

Deuter: Cross Air Backpack w/Reservoi

-

Old May 15th 04, 04:57 AM
ProfTournesol

hippy wrote:
Does anyone here use a Crumpler bag when riding?
What sort of distances and what sort of loads?
They have some advantages over a backpack but I've never used one and
wonder how they'd go for a 25k commute?
Looking at the Fux Deluxe or Seedy Three.
So, anyone who does a bit of riding with one wanna let me know how
good/bad they are??
cheers! hippy

I used to use one, now I commute (30km total) with my STM - mor
comfort, more space, fits the laptop in more securely. I still have it
it's sitting in the cupboard unused:-

-

Old May 16th 04, 07:19 AM
hippy

Thanks very much for eveyone's input - it was all considered. I finall
decided on a Crumpler Fux Deluxe messenger bag rather than a backpac
for a few reasons

. When people ask what it is, I can say "FUX Deluxe"... ;
1. I liked the idea of no zips on the main pocket
2. I like how they look
3. The zips on the Deuter packs were very similar to my Caribee packs
5 times the price for the same longevity? I don't think so
4. They hold a full slab of bee
5. This one is one of the older models with TWO reflective stripes on i
6. A change is as good as a holiday
7. Crumpler will fix anything on it that breaks - for its ENTIRE LIF
8. If it sucks, I'm sure I can sell it
9. I'm bored now, I'll just show the drunken pix I took of i
last night..

http://www.thehippy.net/crumpler

Oh, it was $170 from the Lt. Burke St. Crumpler store in Melbourne

hipp

-